U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM

6,293 posts, read 6,410,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
This thread reminded me of two anecdotes -- one told to me by a friend and the other by my dad -- that relate to human treatment of animals.

The friend grew up in a village in China, I guess during the the 1980s. I once asked him if he ever had a pet dog and he said "no". He then reconsidered it and said something like "well, there was a stray dog that would hang out in my village ... and i would play with him. He was my friend. One day, I came home and the dog was hanging dead from a tree, with a noose around its neck. A man in the village, who was responsible for controlling nuisance animals, killed him."

My dad's story is from a small town in southeast Texas, in the early 1930's. On the main street of his town, he saw the "animal control" man shoot and kill and wild donkey in the middle of the street. What offended my dad most, however, was that there was a young boy standing next to the donkey when it was shot.

These two anecdotes are not equivalent. However, I think the 2nd one illustrates something that would not be accepted anymore in the US. I don't think it would have been even 20 years after it happened. Societal attitudes toward animals do change as places grow in affluence. So, it's not surprising to see the same thing has been occurring more recently across China, although it may take longer in rural places that are still less affluent than in the cities.
I dont believe the chinese story to be true. Why hang the dog? You can just hit in the head with heavy blunt object after capture. Unless in chinese culture they breed dogs specifically for torture.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 AM

4,500 posts, read 1,712,631 times
You people do understand, don't you, that sole animals are not vegans? They can only survive with live meat. They do not care if you think the meat is cute or not.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:38 PM

4,500 posts, read 1,712,631 times
The OP is obviously trying to elicit an expression of my personal sympathies. So, I'd be perfectly happy if every dog on earth were fed to snakes. So there, you got what you asked for. But don't worry -- what I prefer is very unlikely to influence public policy.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:42 PM

6,293 posts, read 6,410,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You people do understand, don't you, that sole animals are not vegans? They can only survive with live meat. They do not care if you think the meat is cute or not.
Will a carnivore choose starvation over carrion?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,750,871 times
Okay.....

It's a different culture, let them be.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,534,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...799130%3famp=1

Wtf?!?!!

Everyone involved at this zoo should face the death penalty, how is this ok?
It's the raw emotionalism and oversimplification common to Vegans and animal-rights fanatics which causes many of us to dismiss their appeals immediately.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,025,973 times
I won't lie. I do find this disturbing, however I don't see why the Chinese need to cater to outside demands. Hindu's view cows as sacred, yet plenty of people eat beef. It's all about perspective. In some cultures, dogs are not viewed as man's best friend.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 AM

117 posts, read 64,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I won't lie. I do find this disturbing, however I don't see why the Chinese need to cater to outside demands. Hindu's view cows as sacred, yet plenty of people eat beef. It's all about perspective. In some cultures, dogs are not viewed as man's best friend.

What sacred? Business is business. According to worldstopexport.com, India is one of the largest exporters of beef.

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fresh, chilled or frozen beef during 2016:

1. Australia: US$5.6 billion (13.5% of total exported beef)
2. United States: $5.2 billion (12.7%)
3. Brazil: $4.3 billion (10.6%)
4. India: $3.7 billion (9.1%)

Top beef exporting countries

Last edited by davidmun; 02-08-2018 at 01:03 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,660,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
What sacred? Business is business. According to worldstopexport.com, India is one of the largest exporters of beef.

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fresh, chilled or frozen beef during 2016:

1. Australia: US$5.6 billion (13.5% of total exported beef)
2. United States: $5.2 billion (12.7%)
3. Brazil: $4.3 billion (10.6%)
4. India: $3.7 billion (9.1%)

Top beef exporting countries
To be fair the OP said Hindus meanwhile India's non Hindu population is larger than the total population of most nations.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM

9,684 posts, read 2,684,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
No, this has nothing to do with culture. If a culture is bad it needs to change.

Before you say I have western Bias let me tell you I'm equally disgusted in people who eat pork.

Firstly, animal abuse is not ok even if you do eat them in the end of the day. Secondly Dogs (like pigs) are emotionally intellectual animals who appeal to the better nature of humans and improve our society.

They are smart and exist in an eternal state were there main joys in life are to maximize the fun they're having and share their love with others.

Not all animals have this (which is why those that do shouldn't be eaten).

Cows, Chickens, Snakes, and even ducks don't have this.

Tigers, Lions, cats (I don't like cats personally), dogs, gorillas, monkeys, and pigs all have it and shouldn't be fed or eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or