Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:08 AM

63 posts, read 55,407 times

Advertisements

Having come across a similar thread on misconceptions about the US south, I thought I'd create one for India. I think India is probably one of the most misunderstood countries in the world, in part for its confusing diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 01:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,707 times
Yes, really India is very big country and just cause of it's diversified geographical structure outsider people face tough problem get to know about Indian Unity.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
I expected India to be a nightmare of red tape and pushing and shoving at ticket windows. But in fact, traveling in India is quite smooth and relaxed. Once you get the visa, the worst of the dog-chasing-tail bureaucracy is pretty much over.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
One of the biggest misconceptions I've run across is the notion that the country consists of a single "Indian" identity. India has tremendous variety as there are so many ethnic groups living over there. Many also believe that Hindi and Bollywood are representative of the nation, when that is evidently not the case.A lot of Indians don't even speak Hindi. As far as the film industry is concerned, there are regional scenes that are quite distinct from Bollywood.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I expected India to be a nightmare of red tape and pushing and shoving at ticket windows. But in fact, traveling in India is quite smooth and relaxed. Once you get the visa, the worst of the dog-chasing-tail bureaucracy is pretty much over.
True...and the airport questions at entrance as well. You'd think they'd be more welcoming to tourism. But, overall, good.

Most of what I experienced in India, was to be expected. I was surprised how many grabtaxi/uber alternatives were, and how I didnt have to deal with taxis at all, and everything was such low priced because of those apps.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
True...and the airport questions at entrance as well. You'd think they'd be more welcoming to tourism. But, overall, good.

Most of what I experienced in India, was to be expected. I was surprised how many grabtaxi/uber alternatives were, and how I didnt have to deal with taxis at all, and everything was such low priced because of those apps.

Actually Taxis are negotiable, less price is possible then Uber. The problem is that they raise prices when they look at Foreigners !!! local people will negotiate it less then Uber. Indians travelling within India will use Uber as billing becomes easy for their official trip which will be reimbursed.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM

7 posts, read 4,890 times
Common misconceptions
All Indians can speak English
Poverty of India.
Indian women have lower status.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKT22 View Post
Common misconceptions
Poverty of India.
Indian women have lower status.
Certainly language is diverse.

But, India is indeed has lots of poverty, and from my view Indian women, not sure "lower status" is the word, but clearly they are cultural issues in regards to what women can do and go.

Oh, all Indian women look like those beauties from Bollywood. Nope, but I wish!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:04 AM

67 posts, read 39,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKT22 View Post
Common misconceptions
They haven't watched bollywood movies.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
But, India is indeed has lots of poverty, and from my view Indian women, not sure "lower status" is the word, but clearly they are cultural issues in regards to what women can do and go.
I was surprised at how many Indian women were begging at the beaches in Goa, with their children in tow, but no man in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia