U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM

9,622 posts, read 2,657,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Apparently, you also love evil, murderous communist dictators.
nope nope nope nope nope.

Kim is evil.

but I have the nuance to understand that his sister is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,253,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not liberal.

As for North Korea, I have never on this thread tried to sanitize the Kim regime (I know CNN has).

All I have done is point out why we are in the situation we are in and point out that his sister is one of the goody guys within the regime and someone we can work with.

All much preferable to bombing.
Because she's pretty. Which is crazy talk.

PS - the ones doing the bombing is North Korea, one of the "goody guys". There have been zero unprovoked attacks on the north. Yet the north has attacked (and killed) quite a few South Koreans, including members of their military.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Because she's pretty. Which is crazy talk.

PS - the ones doing the bombing is North Korea, one of the "goody guys". There have been zero unprovoked attacks on the north. Yet the north has attacked (and killed) quite a few South Koreans, including members of their military.
Today yes, thatís true and Iím not justifying it.

I was talking about the past whichís still important.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
I'm embarrassed sometimes to be living in a country where many people can't even locate where North Korea is on the map. There's a viral Jimmy Kimmel video where people were asked to find North Korea.

To Jimmy's (and everyone's horror), a surprising number of people picked Canada.
You probably won't be surprised to know that there are plenty of people who have heard of something called "Korea" but are not aware that there are actually two of them, a North and a South. Thus, they stand aghast at the mere thought of visiting South Korea, much less the Olympics being held there, because "Korea" is run by a lunatic dictator who keeps threatening to nuke us.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
The world doesn't agree completely.

In Iran most people see the Kim regime as ridiculous and evil but they also (my family at least) find American hypocrisy on the issue equally as ridiculous.

NBC and CNN suck so I agree with you there (though lester holt seems like a good person on the inside).
So you're background is Iranian? My interest is peaked again as there is some history there - trading of arms, exchange and sharing of nuclear technology, shared antagonism with the west - surely that is clouding your worldview as in spite of living in America now you are still influenced by your family and your roots in Iran.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
So you're background is Iranian? My interest is peaked again as there is some history there - trading of arms, exchange and sharing of nuclear technology, shared antagonism with the west - surely that is clouding your worldview as in spite of living in America now you are still influenced by your family and your roots in Iran.
My logic rules supreme over my emotions.

I concede that the shah (while a British/US puppet) was a net good for Iran while the current regime has been a net bad.

But I also know that the US maintained both states that it now uses to spread propaganda (axis of evil, etc.) while defending other dictators like the gulf states and Honduras.

In North Korea us military intervention destroyed the countryís chance to reform in the future (like every other communist regime did). Similarly the Islamic republic in Iran would have fallen had the US not gave Chemical weapons and approval of Saddams attack which only solidified the new governments position amongst the people.

Historical context is important and good relations with Kim will be good for the world.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,253,176 times
Quote:
Today yes, thatís true and Iím not justifying it.

I was talking about the past whichís still important.
The north bombed the south in the past. Just so you know.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The north bombed the south in the past. Just so you know.
Nowhere to the same extent AND the North was decried as the bad guys while the south got international support.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Nowhere to the same extent AND the North was decried as the bad guys while the south got international support.
I will give you a few guesses on why the North was decried the bad guy.

I also already told you the entire peninsula was devastated, not only the north. I also told you the civilian death rate was almost twice in the south what it was in the north.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I will give you a few guesses on why the North was decried the bad guy.

I also already told you the entire peninsula was devastated, not only the north. I also told you the civilian death rate was almost twice in the south what it was in the north.
North Korea had a smaller population yet more than 1.5 mil people were killed, comparatively south Korea had a larger population and some 900,000 in total were killed.

Big numbers on both sides but the winner both in raw numbers and proportionally is obvious.

Also you forget to mention the actual physical damage. You can read about it, North Korea, unlike the south, was almost entirely flattened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or