Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:29 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,437,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
NK, Taiwan, Iran, and Cuba are the four countries the United States does not have diplomatic ties with.
There's a difference between not having diplomatic ties with a nation and not recognizing their sovereignty. For example, Iran doesn't have official ties with the US, yet recognizes the US as a country. On the other hand, it doesn't recognize Israel as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:32 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
NK, Taiwan, Iran, and Cuba are the four countries the United States does not have diplomatic ties with.
Diplomatic ties has nothing to do with statehood recognition.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM

116 posts, read 189,239 times
Where is our usual poster, lol? He seems to have vanished.

The summit has happened, but look no peace yet. In fact I'm surprised that Trump decided so quickly to end the joint exercises. Why?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 PM

16,282 posts, read 10,309,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post

The summit has happened, but look no peace yet. In fact I'm surprised that Trump decided so quickly to end the joint exercises. Why?
My guess is that Trump cancelled the exercises as a show of good faith. Now Kim needs to step up and start delivering on his promises. If he doesn't, it won't be that hard to reinstate the exercises.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:

It would be ignorant to expect a solution of all the worlds problems after one meeting, no one realistically expected that. That's not how things work in statecraft.

The first meeting is just to establish the way forward and get some of the formalities out of the way. This will take awhile - many additional meetings with state department experts, etc. I'm still skeptical but I have to admit I am surprised the summit got this far.

End joint exercise, well this is arguably the first thing we gave up, N. Korea does not benefit from this financially, and I don't see it as a big deal, and N. Korea gave up it's American prisoners. The important thing is that sanctions are still in place until they de-nuke, we don't reward bad behavior.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 AM

8,372 posts, read 6,740,843 times
Mostly a public relations stunt. I suppose Trump will now lobby for the peace prize. Kim came out a clear winner. Joint US South Korea military exercises cancelled. Vague communique indicating the parties will work together for denuclearization and peace.

Trump says the economic sanctions will remain in place. However China, North Korea’s biggest trading partner has already indicated they will ease off their own sanctions in the wake of the summit. The mass killer Kim now praised in glowing terms by Trump.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Mostly a public relations stunt. I suppose Trump will now lobby for the peace prize. Kim came out a clear winner. Joint US South Korea military exercises cancelled. Vague communique indicating the parties will work together for denuclearization and peace.

Trump says the economic sanctions will remain in place. However China, North Korea’s biggest trading partner has already indicated they will ease off their own sanctions in the wake of the summit. The mass killer Kim now praised in glowing terms by Trump.
As I said, it's good to be cynical with anything involving N. Korea but this is the way state craft works, will always work. Wait and see, but it's too early to declare success or lack of success.

Nobel Peace Prize - Trump has already been nominated but no way will he get it. Come on, seriously. For awhile now it's been a politically elite European-based influenced award and he is not nor will he ever be in favor with the elite eurotrash crowd.

China - China suggested that sanctions could be reduced but haven't taken any action. China will sell it's own mother for trade so we (the US) have to be ever diligent to continue the pressure. This would be the case summit or not, just the way the Chinese leadership is.

Kim - Of course he would be the winner as he has the most to win (his country no longer living in the stone age as a hermit kingdom) as well as the most to lose (destruction). The next place winner is S. Korea. The trick is to let him know he would be a winner. But right now he has gained nothing. Some say it's a publicity win for him so he can show his own citizens how powerful his state has become. But as a totalitarian country with him as the absolute undisputed supreme leader that is a non-issue and irrelevant: If he wanted to he can simply photoshop his picture sitting at the desk in the oval office, state that he assumed leadership of the US, and distribute that and his people would have no choice but to believe it.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 PM

116 posts, read 189,239 times
Do you think N.Korea will open doors for foreign investment? It seems like labor would be super cheap there.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:38 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,861,502 times
Quote:
Do you think N.Korea will open doors for foreign investment? It seems like labor would be super cheap there.
I’m hoping so. Once they open that door, it’s hard to close it. If they allow foreign businesses in that will be a game changer.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:32 PM

8,372 posts, read 6,740,843 times
The summit was a total sham. There are no specifics or timetables on denuclearization. The North Korean state media is playing up what they see as the Dear Leader forcing Trump and Company to the negotiating table.

Trump halted joint military exercises. North Korea has made zero reciprocating agreements. The idea that the North will suddenly open it's doors to foreign business ventures is ludicrous. The North will remain a Stalinist dictatorship for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia