U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM

18,512 posts, read 9,574,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Economic prosperity? Are you kidding me? 25 millions North Koreans who have no skills, in poor health, and are behind the times by about 50 year, will be dependent on 50 million South Koreans for their survival. The toll on SK would be devastating. They've just begun to reap the rewards of their hard work, and diligent fighting against a military ruler. They aren't going to be so quick to put that aside.
This is exactly the sentiment I heard expressed by South Koreans in Seoul when I worked there (of course that was mostly with engineers who are thinkers as opposed to emotional actors). For security, they still might need to do it.

Just so you know, S. Korea has built an amazing country and economy by very hard work and sacrifice far beyond what you see in the average western nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 PM

9,602 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Quote:
Do bad things? You mean like torture and kill their people? And no, unity with that regime, unless all the murderers get punished, should not be our concern at all.

That last sentence is just so unbelievable, I'm speechless. Ted Bundy was pretty good looking too. Just sayin'.
It's psychological, please read up about it.

People like her with natural beauty and the right persona are people who don't live off of projected emotions. We can work with her.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,215,703 times
I think the best plausible outcome in the near future for Korea, is for North Korea to transition into a government similar to China and form an economic union with South Korea similar to the EU.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:04 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,743,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...sister-9949964

YESSS!

Finally time for peace on the Korean Peninsula and an end to nuclear warfare.

And all it took was an anti-war President and a drop dead gorgeous woman to accomplish this task.

It shows everyone that if you know what you want you can get it. Once korea is united the high end companies of the south can use the cheap labor from the north to lower production costs and even surpass China on the global stage. I’m not Korean but I’m so glad foreign powers failed to divide the Korean people for their own purposes.

God bless everyone and may peace ring around the entire globe one day.
Not so fast. North Korean civilians are not allowed to visit the south, and if they attempt they will be killed.

Also most North Koreans are not about to watch the Olympics.

As of Friday, North Korea’s state-run television had broadcast none of the Games — a stark contrast to its glorifying coverage of Kim Yo-jong, who visited the South last weekend as a special envoy of her brother, the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un. North Korean athletes were granted special permission to compete in the Games, although few had qualified.

“For the North Korean regime, there is no big incentive in reminding its people that the South lives well enough to host an Olympics,” said Lee Min-bok, a defector from North Korea. “Unless one of its athletes wins a surprise medal, it’s not likely to broadcast any competition to its people.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/w...elevision.html

North Korea is a heavily censored country.

Also not so long ago South Korea had a sunshine policy with the North with big attempts to warm relations but it did not work out.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,249,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
This is exactly the sentiment I heard expressed by South Koreans in Seoul when I worked there (of course that was mostly with engineers who are thinkers as opposed to emotional actors). For security, they still might need to do it.

Just so you know, S. Korea has built an amazing country and economy by very hard work and sacrifice far beyond what you see in the average western nation.
I love the Korean culture, in part because their fight for democracy is so inspiring. They literally gave up their lives to get out from under military rule, and despite years of setbacks and many lives lost, they never gave up. They truly are an inspiration in what the citizens of a country can do, if they are committed to a cause.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:44 AM

15,734 posts, read 9,249,739 times
Quote:
It's psychological, please read up about it.

People like her with natural beauty and the right persona are people who don't live off of projected emotions. We can work with her.
You lost me at "natural beauty". I can guarantee none of her beauty is natural.

I'm not sure what you mean by being psychological, unless you're speaking of the ability to torture and kill your own countrymen, and not lose a wink of sleep.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM

9,602 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by being psychological, unless you're speaking of the ability to torture and kill your own countrymen, and not lose a wink of sleep.
North Korea isn't a great place but why should that stop the south from coming up with an agreement with them for unification?

Punishing the guilty is not all that matters in the world.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 PM

116 posts, read 63,731 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Also, do people think that she's like one of the best faces Korea's got to offer? I'm sorry but if so, I'd bet that those people have never been to Korea.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:24 PM

12,290 posts, read 18,405,549 times
Quote:
North Korea isn't a great place but why should that stop the south from coming up with an agreement with them for unification?

Punishing the guilty is not all that matters in the world.
Assuming first of all this entire thread is legitimate and not one big joke (I have my doubts after your "she must be good because she is pretty" comment...and she ain't all that hot):

Not one person here objects to unification. What we object to is N. Korea sincerity based on history. Your history only seems to go back a few years, and you have some strange and distorted World View of N. Korea relations with the rest of the world. This is evident because you said this is the first time N. Korea joined and marched out with S. Korea in unity during the Olympics. That is simply not true, N. Korea has done this before. Nor has this been the first time N. Korean and S. Korean relations have warmed. Trends of reconciliation and antagonism have been going on for the last 50 years.

Most recently that was in 1998 with what was called "The Sunshine Policy" between N. Korea and S. Korea. That went well until North Korea torpedoed a S. Korean destroyer, killing many sailors. North Korea also started sending artillery shells into a S. Korean island. Also the trend of N. Korea kidnapping S. Koreans as well as Japanese, and other acts of subversive sabotage.

This is the pattern - it has been before, it will be again. N. Korea is no doubt using the Olympics as propaganda (appropriately sending there Head of Propaganda) to buy time until there nuclear program is complete. What happens then is anyone's guess.

Unification would be a great thing. China doesn't want it because they lose their buffer and also they are afraid of them picking up the cost of a humanitarian crises as millions of staving N. Koreans, released from the prison that they call Democratic Peoples Republic of North Korea, stream over the Yalu when they find they can do it without getting shot to death. N. Korea only want unification on there terms - as a united NORTH KOREA with the Supreme Leader in charge. Obviously that will never happen. Offering him sanctuary if he leaves office is a non-starter, a fantasy. If things thaw in the mean time, hey once again that is great news as long as N. Korea de-nukes. Remember they have already blatantly threated the destruction of it's neighboring countries, how can that be ignored? Our response has always been to give in to blackmale, sending them containers of rice or whatever to help there starving nation. The current US response with the heavy rethoric is something that N. Korea has never seen before so, hey, maybe that is prompted his peace overtures with the South...or it might be a delaying tactic.
Whatever it is, you are surely misinterpreting there intentions.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-16-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM

116 posts, read 63,731 times
No need to glorify a regime that has tortured its people for years.

Also, it's not a secret that the current South Korean president is a communist-ally.

Not sure what will happen to the peninsular after the Games, but bad things could still happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or