Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So what? It’s their country.

The west should have historical context when judging North Korea.
How can anyone have a reasonable conversation with somehow who says “so what” to imprisoning or torturing cheerleaders and Olympic contestants over their performance.

Your opinion just went from naive to down right sick.

The Kim family diety position was created by the Soviet Union, Russia has admitted to doing this, the US has performed atrocities over time, but Korea isn’t one of them.

N Korea exists because the communist powers wanted a buffer between them and the west, after WWII it was apparent that Japan and Korea would swing toward the west, China was embroiled in civil war and had no influence outside its country, and the Soviet Union by itself didn’t have enough influence to counter the west politically. That’s why the Cold War started, the Soviets (and the west) started to worked directly with governments to influence or even control them through puppet regimes. The US and other western countries did have puppet regimes and some were quite horrible. North Korea however was a product of the Soviet Union, and that started the Korean civil war. The Soviet Union quickly lost any control of the government in North Korea and relations deterioted, but remained as the common cause of communism. North Korea would eventually become closed to China, which as we all know today, has also deteriorated a lot.

I often disagree with US foreign policy, but the US doesn’t want a divided Korea, it’s not in our interest. We want a unified Korea under the south’s government. China did want a divided Korea to keep as a buffer against western powers and influence. China historically only bordered a small handful of western friendly countries, Macao, Hong Kong, and Mongolia. I still believe China sees this in their security interests, but they are not anti-western like they were 50 years ago. I also think that is why China is obviously shifting on its N Korea’s position and policies.

Everyone has seen what the lunatic Kim family will do when they used toxic gases to kill a family member in an airport in Malaysia. Did you read how they killed him? It was absolutely sickening, they used some innocent woman to murder him by making her think she was in on part of a prank. Malaysia was one of the few counties in the world with decent relations with N Korea, that ended immediately.

Any country that uses slave labor should absolutely be condemned. The aristocracy sits in Pyongyang, while their serfs labor for their benefit. The citizens are literally required to worship their leaders in the Kim family.

S Korea can’t compromise on those things, and luckily they won’t, they aren’t stupid. There will never be any unification as long as the Kim family and their generals have influence.

I won’t judge Kims sister, who knows what she knows and has been involved with. She could know a lot or she could be brainwashed liked everyone else, but she is a huge propaganda piece being used by the north. The North obviously wants to improve relations with other countries, even China has limited trade with the North, so that is what they are doing in the Olympics.

I would be very happy if North Korea started making some changes, nobody is against that, but it’s absolutely naive to think it will happen. The Kim family has never show any desire to give up anything. It would come a long way if they closed their concentration camps and stopped religious persecution, but they won’t even stop that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do we have missiles and tanks and sanctions meant to “destroy the regime”. Imagine if a country occupied Canada and Mexico, armed the borders, did military drills, and then talked about when the US was going to “end”.

Americans would be bloodthirsty and angry. They would demand this occupying force be bomb to the ground and their children killed (keep in mind after 9/11 (which is nothing compared to what we do) average people were going on Howard Stern seriously saying we have to kill the kids or they’ll become terrorists).

I know you’ll say that is because NK is bad but just think for a second about the reverse propaganda the US is committing.
It's not the US...it's the ENTIRE WORLD that has sanctions against N. Korea. The Korean War was a UN effort by the way.

Probably your own country as well, I am curious where are you from that you think this way? I mean, your lack of awareness and warped worldview is frankly astounding. Quite amazing actually.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do we have missiles and tanks and sanctions meant to “destroy the regime”. Imagine if a country occupied Canada and Mexico, armed the borders, did military drills, and then talked about when the US was going to “end”.

Americans would be bloodthirsty and angry. They would demand this occupying force be bomb to the ground and their children killed (keep in mind after 9/11 (which is nothing compared to what we do) average people were going on Howard Stern seriously saying we have to kill the kids or they’ll become terrorists).

I know you’ll say that is because NK is bad but just think for a second about the reverse propaganda the US is committing.
Do you even know what "invasion" means? Apparently not, given the fact that you call defense measures and sanctions an invasion.

One more time, what North Korea is doing is not "bad", it's evil. Pure evil.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Brainwashing works both ways. Also you contradicted yourself by first saying no South Korean wants reunification and then saying the president and his brainwashed supporters do.

I’d tell you give it a chance. We’ve had escalated tensions via US order since the Cold War and that plus sanctions have hurt the North Korean people more than anything Kim had done.

Give peace a chance.
No, no, and no. The Kim family has tortured and murdered their people for decades. They put their own lavish lifestyles over the welfare of their citizens. When hit with sanctions, they keep pouring money into the military while their people starve to death.

North Korea doesn't want peace, they want to take over South Korea. Not to defend themselves, but because they believe that they should rule the peninsula.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,280 times
I would love for Korea to become just KOREA again. However, right now it's going to be one or the other nation over taking the other or North Korea's regime MUST be toppled. I don't see Korea uniting unless the North Korean regime is demolished entirely.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Each country's road signs hint at a desire to reunify. The first picture is where the Route 1 expressway ends at the northern end of South Korea, just before the DMZ. The top sign on the middle-right points to Gaeseong (more commonly romanized as Kaesong) and Pyeongyang, which are (respectively) a North Korean city near the border and that country's capital. The second picture, on the North Korean highway heading south from Pyongyang towards the DMZ, notes that the distance to Seoul is 70km.

This highway remains physically connected, but at present it is not possible to follow either of those signs through to their destinations. If you want to see it, google "Dorasan Station" then look at the satellite view. Follow the road leading to the west/northwest from the station, labeled (in Korean) as Asian Highway 1, and you'll have a birds-eye view crossing the DMZ to Kaesong, North Korea.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Are trilingual signs common in Korea? I noticed a few of those signs on the top picture are in Korean, Chinese, and English.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Are trilingual signs common in Korea? I noticed a few of those signs on the top picture are in Korean, Chinese, and English.
In my experience, no. Nearly all Korean road signs are in Korean and English. But Chinese appears only on a small handful of them, mainly those that are in areas frequented by tourists.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In my experience, no. Nearly all Korean road signs are in Korean and English. But Chinese appears only on a small handful of them, mainly those that are in areas frequented by tourists.
That’s what I was guessing. I watched a video on Jeju Island a while back and recall seeing trilingual signs, but that is a common tourist area for Chinese.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ntl/index.html

As you can see I was right again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia