Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM

116 posts, read 191,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Impossible to compare me to those people.

I've lived in Iran. I'm much more aware of what is happening globally.
I actually don't question that you've lived in Iran and or any other countries. Like I've said, I've met other Americans with similar views as yours, and while many were ignorant (like the Jimmy Kimmel example), there were also some who would be considered America's top 1% 'elite'.

I know, because I went to school with these people.

What I do not understand is that why some of these so-called elite, sophisticated and well-traveled would have an agenda to sanitize North Korea or any of the other communist regimes.

Personally, I've found that people who do it are usually some of the most radical ones with a considerably liberal political bent than the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
I actually don't question that you've lived in Iran and or any other countries. Like I've said, I've met other Americans with similar views as yours, and while many were ignorant (like the Jimmy Kimmel example), there were also some who would be considered America's top 1% 'elite'.

I know, because I went to school with these people.

What I do not understand is that why some of these so-called elite, sophisticated and well-traveled would have an agenda to sanitize North Korea or any of the other communist regimes.

Personally, I've found that people who do it are usually some of the most radical ones with a considerably liberal political bent than the rest.
I'm not liberal.

As for North Korea, I have never on this thread tried to sanitize the Kim regime (I know CNN has).

All I have done is point out why we are in the situation we are in and point out that his sister is one of the goody guys within the regime and someone we can work with.

All much preferable to bombing.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
I'm also American living in the States, and for some reason it's not that uncommon to find another American with similar views as him. We're a plurality of opinions in that regard, for sure, lol (I'm being sarcastic).

I've also noticed that increasingly, CNN likes to air 'sanitized' coverage of North Korea, as in showing images of North Korea's 1% elite, etc etc. I've met some people who thought North was the one hosting the Winter Olympics because CNN couldn't stop talking about North Korea almost all of February.

I'm embarrassed sometimes to be living in a country where many people can't even locate where North Korea is on the map. There's a viral Jimmy Kimmel video where people were asked to find North Korea.

To Jimmy's (and everyone's horror), a surprising number of people picked Canada.
I agree the US is woefully ignorant on geography and international politics. But the status with North Korea is pretty much universally accepted not only here but in every country and every political affiliation including those that are very aware and informed...everywhere except North Korea. I don't know of many fans of the regime.

However the internet has a tendency to bring out the extremist and fanatics on both sides of the issue rather than the mainstream views - conspiracy theorist, white supremecists, die-hard communists, ultra liberals and conservatives, you can see that simply by looking into the P&C forum (I feel a need for a shower whenever I visit that sub-forum).

So I will just chalk this thread topic up as another internet extremist view, which is quite boring.

Footnote: Not on CNN but on NBC. Seems Lester Holt from NBC really got taken by its coverage of N. Korea "ski resort" last month, with Lester covering it like "see all these happy North Koreans, this isn't bad!". Seems he was duped, this place is not open to North Korean citizens. It was all staged by N. Korea along with actors/party members sking down the slope.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
South Koreans aren’t the ones who dictate if something was morally wrong and the cause of the problems we have today.

It’d have been better for the world (relatively) had we let the communist win, in exchange Korea as a whole would look like Vietnam today, a fast (albeit undeveloped) economy and a united people.

Instead we have 25 million people suffering and nuclear warfare at the south’s doorsteps because American military leaders decided to take charge of the collapsed SK government and level the entire north to the ground and laugh about it creating a mentally unstable Kim regime.
We did not level the entire north to the ground.

I'm thinking 54 millions South Koreans disagree with you completely. I'm thinking they like their country the way it is now.

I'm not sure why you hold evil, murderous dictators in such high esteem.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but you misunderstood my points.

6.) yes the state rebuilt but that was after the psychological damage of watching your country flattened and then seeing the perpetrator who laughed at you suffering being declared the good guys. The national state of mind is what built the Kim regime into what it is today.

7.) Again, the Kim regime was there, but they would have turned out differently OR would have been replaced at some point like other communist regimes. There is a reason NK is unique from Cuba, Vietnam and other communist regimes.

8.) No no no no no no, reread my post. I said IF we let the communist take control instead of leveling the entire north then Korea today would be a united state that WHILE underdeveloped (like Vietnam today) would have a fast growing economy and a people not likely to go to nuclear war with each other.
6. And that national state of mind is a direct result of the Kim regime. The people are psychologically damaged because they are forced to live in a country where they, and their family, are threatened on a daily basis with death or torture if they criticize the regime. Millions are sent to camps, where they are starved, tortured and killed. They are kept isolated and told that the US was the aggressor in the Korean War, which is a complete lie.

7. You don't know that. And why, if it was possible, didn't they turn out better? North Korea is no different than other communist regimes.

9. We did not level the entire north. Why are you making things up? The north was far better economically after the war. But they've not progressed at all, because that is what keeps the people in check in communist regimes.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I agree the US is woefully ignorant on geography and international politics. But the status with North Korea is pretty much universally accepted not only here but in every country and every political affiliation including those that are very aware and informed...everywhere except North Korea. I don't know of many fans of the regime.

However the internet has a tendency to bring out the extremist and fanatics on both sides of the issue rather than the mainstream views - conspiracy theorist, white supremecists, die-hard communists, ultra liberals and conservatives, you can see that simply by looking into the P&C forum (I feel a need for a shower whenever I visit that sub-forum).

So I will just chalk this thread topic up as another internet extremist view, which is quite boring.

Footnote: Not on CNN but on NBC. Seems Lester Holt from NBC really got taken by its coverage of N. Korea "ski resort" last month, with Lester covering it like "see all these happy North Koreans, this isn't bad!". Seems he was duped, this place is not open to North Korean citizens. It was all staged by N. Korea along with actors/party members sking down the slope.
The world doesn't agree completely.

In Iran most people see the Kim regime as ridiculous and evil but they also (my family at least) find American hypocrisy on the issue equally as ridiculous.

NBC and CNN suck so I agree with you there (though lester holt seems like a good person on the inside).

Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well it's obviously too late now, but I think western leaders should understand that they did this to the Korean peninsula rather than pretending Kim is a random evil that came from no where.

It is also an inarguable fact that had we not bombed the North to the ground and had let the peninsula unite the situation would be very different today (as you can see from all other united communist governments today).

As for Vietnam the big difference is that they won their war and got to see America get world blame for the war as a war of aggression. The didn't feel betrayed by the world community and had maintained a united people.
You keep stating the lie that the north was leveled and bombed to the ground. It was not. And if it were, it was only because they invaded the south.

The south WAS heavily damaged, yet they managed to rebuild, and become a vibrant, healthy, growing economy.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
6. And that national state of mind is a direct result of the Kim regime. The people are psychologically damaged because they are forced to live in a country where they, and their family, are threatened on a daily basis with death or torture if they criticize the regime. Millions are sent to camps, where they are starved, tortured and killed. They are kept isolated and told that the US was the aggressor in the Korean War, which is a complete lie.

7. You don't know that. And why, if it was possible, didn't they turn out better? North Korea is no different than other communist regimes.

9. We did not level the entire north. Why are you making things up? The north was far better economically after the war. But they've not progressed at all, because that is what keeps the people in check in communist regimes.
look at Cambodia, we bombed them, then they turned to an extreme communist regime equal to NK.

Cuba, Poland, Vietnam, Laos, Yugoslavia, China, etc. were nothing compared to these two.

Then the US decided not to sanction and surround Cambodia and today it has improved.

Conversely NK has gotten worse.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Not true, I love America.

I just call strikes when I see them.
Apparently, you also love evil, murderous communist dictators.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You keep stating the lie that the north was leveled and bombed to the ground. It was not. And if it were, it was only because they invaded the south.

The south WAS heavily damaged, yet they managed to rebuild, and become a vibrant, healthy, growing economy.
no doubt. I'm only explaining why NK didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia