U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,662,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I work in advertising.
Then it might be better to immerse yourself in "authentic" modern Chinese culture. I would pick Shanghai.
Beijing is the center of arts though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM

10,076 posts, read 6,701,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I've lived in China for 17 years. I'm an American and spent 10 years living and working for a U.S. company in Shanghai, then 7 years now working for a different U.S. company in Guangdong.

My suggestion would be to take a position in Shanghai. You speak the language, and you'll be a big fish in a smallish pond in Mainland China. You'll get promoted faster, you'll have a larger title and salary, and Mainland China is slightly cheaper then Hong Kong, esp on rent. Shanghai is the best city in Mainland China for expats to live and work. There are tons of Americans (including Asian-Americans) and the expat life is great. Sports leagues, clubs and so much to do socially.

Hong Kong is great, but its like working in New York. Its super competitive, very expensive, and I think you will have lots of pressure at work in Hong Kong.
I think for career development-wise - I'd concur, depending on your field of work, Shanghai may have more upside. Hong Kong is a pretty great place to live but it may or may not have as much upward development as it may be a mature, established circle. In fact a lot of young, aspiring HK professionals go to Shanghai to work, do deals, etc.

I'm sorry but I'm a bit down on Beijing, mostly for the environment (though its cultural offerings like museums and performing arts surpasses Shanghai's). It's grown way too large, and not only that - the newer construction just feels too overwhelming in scale. A lot of its land has been given over to highways (and yet the traffic is pretty jammed up).

Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM

22,394 posts, read 23,903,969 times
Going join in on this Beijing pile up--do not go to Beijing. Even if they offer you a better deal for Beijing, it'd really have to be something much, much better than the other offers in order to be worth choosing there over Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM

666 posts, read 595,564 times
Agree. I would take Beijing out of the running. It's a great city to be a tourist or maybe study Mandarin, but quality of life for an expat doesn't even come close to SH or HK. I've lived in all 3 cities.

Plus everyone speaks Mandarin in Shanghai so you can always improve your language skills there as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 AM

102 posts, read 49,429 times
Expats in HK are a lot more different than expats in mainland china in occupations, lifestyles, income and countries of origin.

You are one of those liking a city more influenced by the West due to historic British rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
Have been to all 3 and I wouldn't even consider Beijing or Shanghai. I'd suggest Googling and joining one or two expats groups in each city. You'll get a good feel for what it would be like to live in each city. Expats are super helpful!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,674,008 times
I haven’t been to HK. I spent a week in Beijing and that was enough to know I personally wouldn’t want to live there. A week is fun, but the pollution was so bad and the weather was also pretty terrible. I just can’t imagine staying there, too dreary and drab from the grey skies.

I lived in Shanghai and I loved it, I would go back if I ever got a good enough opportunity. We lived in the New Pudong District and the air was always pretty decent. It’s still very Chinese, but lots of western restaurants, actually restaurants and stores from everywhere in the world (in case you miss food of your home) and so much to do. Friendly people and I just feel like the city has a positive jibe to it, whereas Beijing felt like a drab communist capital. Shanghai is fairly centrally located and easy to take a train to other parts of China, the neighboring cities and provinces are neat to visit.

I’ve heard lots of good things about HK from friends and family who have lived there, so I doubt you could go wrong with HK either.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM

9,805 posts, read 13,430,333 times
HK is an awesome city if you are either already very high up the chain in your industry, or simply already very rich. Trying to get a leg up there as an outsider/newcomer is not easy because the COL is on par with London, NYC, or Tokyo... Most expensive real estate in the world.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 PM

15,959 posts, read 36,347,486 times
Quote:
I've been thinking of relocating to one of these locations for a while within my company. I think my company wants me to pick one location but I'm having a hard time deciding. A little background info: I was born in China but raised in the states. I grew up speaking Cantonese so I would do fine in HK. I also studied Mandarin in college and can read some Chinese and understand Mandarin if they speak slowly. I have always wanted to be fluent in Mandarin but I have a feeling I would like HK more. I know HK is more expensive and I'm not sure how living in either of those places would play out. If anybody has had living experiences in one or more of those places, would be great to hear from you! Thanks!
This is WAY TOO subjective. There is really NO wrong answer here, its only personal interests.

For me, I love Hong Kong. I have been to both Beijing and Shanghai, but I found both of them quite polluted, and while interesting, they didn't draw me in that 'I'd love to live here' kind of way. That being said, if forced to live in Mainland China, I could see myself becoming quite pro-Shanghai. Granted that's my own subjectivity.

Mainland cities have extreme positives and negatives. There is opportunity and risk. There is a lot of things going on as people scramble to develop niches. I think if you are very ambitious, and willing to deal with anything that comes your way - i.e I've known a number of Americans personally who have built businesses there, only to have a Chinese partner siphon it out of their hands legally, etc. - while there seems to be opportunity to start things, it can easily be taken away as well. But, where else would you have the opportunity to even start those kinds of businesses? Where else is there that kind of learning curve? That kind of stuff.

Hong Kong is more established, with a ton of British laws on the books, protecting its residents from all of those things. Those same laws prevent random people from creating cowboy operations as well, and from others wrestling them away from them. There is concrete legal recourse for everything, just as you'd have in the U.S.

I think it depends on what you want. If you want something that works internationally and everything is according to world standards...with regulation, structure, etc. and you can apply that to anywhere else in the world..than Hong Kong. If you don't mind navigating a system without those standards/rules/regulations...and willing to take great risk of boom and bust, and learning curves, and fuzzy lines, then the excitement of Mainland Chinese cities are quite interesting, particularly in these times with a lot of money floating throughout Beijing and Shanghai. Just be prepared to lose it there as well.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:06 AM

2,762 posts, read 1,115,240 times
Hong Kong

Shanghai

Beijing

Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,295,762 times
Quote:
I've been thinking of relocating to one of these locations for a while within my company. I think my company wants me to pick one location but I'm having a hard time deciding. A little background info: I was born in China but raised in the states. I grew up speaking Cantonese so I would do fine in HK. I also studied Mandarin in college and can read some Chinese and understand Mandarin if they speak slowly. I have always wanted to be fluent in Mandarin but I have a feeling I would like HK more. I know HK is more expensive and I'm not sure how living in either of those places would play out. If anybody has had living experiences in one or more of those places, would be great to hear from you! Thanks!
Absolutely no doubt - Hong Kong - especially if you are Chinese born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or