Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:23 AM

317 posts, read 373,748 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Kuwait and notice there is a different rivalry( looking down upon) betweem other Arab nationalities particularly Egyptian. I know that people in the Gulf/Middle East have the same religion but slightly different dialects. But has anyone know what sort of rivalries there between Arab Middle Eastern countries - do all countries have their prejudices vs their neighbors - i.e. Jordan/Iraq, Yemen/Saudi, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
From what I have heard they are all prejudiced against Palestinians (Arabs).

Old 02-18-2018, 10:31 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
I'm staying in Kuwait and notice there is a different rivalry( looking down upon) betweem other Arab nationalities particularly Egyptian. I know that people in the Gulf/Middle East have the same religion but slightly different dialects. But has anyone know what sort of rivalries there between Arab Middle Eastern countries - do all countries have their prejudices vs their neighbors - i.e. Jordan/Iraq, Yemen/Saudi, etc?
The short answer is yes.

I don't know why but I was highly amused listening to all the stereotypes about each other - Kuwaiti vs Saudi vs Emirati vs Yemmeni vs Jordanian vs Iranian vs Egyptian, etc. The Stereotype extend to surrounding countries outside Arabia too. My son told me that in school they did impressions of the different groups - like borrowing another student's IPhone and holding two and say things like - look I am an Emirati ..

Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times
There is a massive Gulf Arab vs Levantine Arab vs North African Arab rivalry/prejudice. Gulf Arabs look down on Levantine/North African Arabs for being poor while North Africans and Levantine Arabs think Gulf Arabs are vulgar and lack culture and are illiterate religious fanatics. A lot of Levantine Arabs and North African Arabs also think Gulf Arabs are Western sellouts and despise the way Gulf Arabs treat migrant Levantine Arab workers.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Such hateful people the whole lot of them.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Are you joking? "Rivalries" is putting it nicely. The entire region is embroiled in a proxy war engaged on several fronts and complex levels. It's NOT the same religion, is Sunni vs. Shia and the various sects, both extreme and moderate, in between.
Thus you had the civil war in Syria, Yemen, Libya (still going on), the prior Iraq insurgency, etc. Basically you have Iran/Syria on one side and Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Jordan on the other. Then you have other players like UAE and Qatar simply changing sides as it suits them. There are Saudi and Quatar soldiers in Libya currently trying to kill each other.
Of course it's even more complex than that, as you have tribal influences and terrorists group that have no country allegiance, you've got Israel which every Arab country wants to kill (probably the only thing they have in common), you've got international influences, etc. You need an encyclopedic playbook just to keep track of all the rivalries.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Are you joking? "Rivalries" is putting it nicely. The entire region is embroiled in a proxy war engaged on several fronts and complex levels. It's NOT the same religion, is Sunni vs. Shia and the various sects, both extreme and moderate, in between.
Thus you had the civil war in Syria, Yemen, Libya (still going on), the prior Iraq insurgency, etc. Basically you have Iran/Syria on one side and Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Jordan on the other. Then you have other players like UAE and Qatar simply changing sides as it suits them. There are Saudi and Quatar soldiers in Libya currently trying to kill each other.
Of course it's even more complex than that, as you have tribal influences and terrorists group that have no country allegiance, you've got Israel which every Arab country wants to kill (probably the only thing they have in common), you've got international influences, etc. You need an encyclopedic playbook just to keep track of all the rivalries.
Actually Saudi Arabia, Barahan and UAE sees Iran as a greater threat than Israel. At this very stage those countries are involved in the war in Yemen, to counter the Iranian backed and armed Shia fighters.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
As an Israeli, we don't have any prejudices. We're on the receiving end of plenty though. Since I live in the states, I have Lebanese, Emirati, Saudi, Syrian, Moroccan, Iraqi, etc friends. There are plenty of rivalries among those groups. Arabs are anything but a homogeneous group.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 AM

317 posts, read 373,748 times
I am trying to follow the issue with Qatar and the other Gulf states. I know there is an embargo of Qatar and flights out of Doha might not be permitted to fly over certain countries.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
I am trying to follow the issue with Qatar and the other Gulf states. I know there is an embargo of Qatar and flights out of Doha might not be permitted to fly over certain countries.
Basically Saudi vs Qatar, with Saudi influencing other ME

Qatar:

Has Al-jazerra which is critical of SA and other ME countries.

Has gas which is slowly replacing coal in power generation and hence more valuable. Therefore recently nouveau rich Qatar has become bossy and started throwing its weight around.

Most importantly, Qatar has become closer to Iran ( who Saudis hate) because they need a working relationship. Qatar and Iran share the natural gas fields in the sea and do not want that interrupted by war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia