U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 AM

948 posts, read 537,767 times

Advertisements

The Olympics is being accomplished in a very professional, artistic, and classy manner. It reflects very favorably on Korea and the Korean People. Beautiful music throughout, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 AM

251 posts, read 113,329 times
Yes, Japan will not go so smoothly in 2020. No one knows "Engrish" there. My Wife who is from Ibaraki prefecture may be the only fluent volunteer on the staff. She will have her work cut out for her.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Yeah it was the first time I watched the winter Olympics in a long time. Very well done Korea.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
I agree. I like the alpine center course, the slopestyle course, and the cross country track. The sliding facilities are nice as well. Everything in a beautiful mountain setting, too.

I guess the speed skating and figure skating venues are good enough. I mean, an ice rink is an ice rink.

The Koreans appear to be good hosts, and even though I have my countries I root for, it is nice to see the Koreans doing well in their own country.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM

116 posts, read 63,543 times
^What are y'all's favorite moments from the games so far?

Yeah, I agree Korea's doing a good job Great winterland scenery and good-looking picket girls too (love the design of their dress), imo

I kinda wish NBC would show a bit more of the technology/robots that are being showcased at these games too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiNMWkIJGqA

Also shout-outs to Norway and Germany. They seem to be doing really well in terms of medal counts.

Last edited by attisbons; 02-19-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 AM

948 posts, read 537,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
^What are y'all's favorite moments from the games so far?

Yeah, I agree Korea's doing a good job Great winterland scenery and good-looking picket girls too (love the design of their dress), imo

Also shout-outs to Norway and Germany. They seem to be doing really well in terms of medal counts.
Canada is kicking butt too! Way to go, Canada!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,640,251 times
I've been recording the Olympics and watching them as time allows, so I'm a bit behind the curve. But I've really liked what I've seen so far. One of my favorite moments thus far is when the South Korean woman speed skater lost to the Japanese, and the two women hugged each other. This was a beautiful moment, especially given the historical issues that still exert a negative influence between those two countries.

And I didn't notice this before, but in the picture posted above, showing the lady carrying the "Korea" sign at the opening ceremony, I see that in the Hangul "subtitle" underneath the name "Korea," they wrote "Korea" (Ko-Ri-Ah) -- as in, the name that English-speakers call the country. I'm quite surprised that they didn't put their own name for their country, "Dae Han Min G o o k."

And finally, when they show overhead shots of the venues and you can see a good deal of the background, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any snow on the ground. I guess Pyeongchang is having a light winter this year.

In previous Olympics, you'd hear about issues that had cropped up, such as non-functioning plumbing in the hotels at Sochi, or dirty water at Rio. The fact that I've heard nothing negative this time tells me that Korea is handling things very well -- as I had always figured they would.

EDIT: I had to space out the letters in the last word of the Korean name for their country, because the system blocked it out because it thought that I was using a slur. But while it's true that this word unfortunately did become a slur, in the Korean language it's simply the word for "country."

Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,640,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And I didn't notice this before, but in the picture posted above, showing the lady carrying the "Korea" sign at the opening ceremony, I see that in the Hangul "subtitle" underneath the name "Korea," they wrote "Korea" (Ko-Ri-Ah) -- as in, the name that English-speakers call the country. I'm quite surprised that they didn't put their own name for their country, "Dae Han Min G o o k."
OK, I just looked, and the sign for the United States of America was subtitled "Mi G o o k" which is the Korean name for the U.S.A. Odd how their Hangul "subtitles" used their name for our country, but our name for theirs.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 AM

116 posts, read 63,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OK, I just looked, and the sign for the United States of America was subtitled "Mi G o o k" which is the Korean name for the U.S.A. Odd how their Hangul "subtitles" used their name for our country, but our name for theirs.
It's not odd but intentional, actually. I suspect it's the work of the commie-leaning liberal S.Korean politicians who didn't want their athletes to march under the S.Korean flag or under the official South Korean name for their country, which is "Dae-han-min-guk" (you're right about the pronunciation).

That's why they were forced to use a politically neutral name such as "Ko-ri-ya", borrowed from the English pronunciation of their country.

I wouldn't be surprised if the North had actually directed the Moon administration to do this. It felt out of place for many South Koreans, actually.

That's why I don't place the two countries' athletes marching together as the highlight of the opening ceremony but rather the technological pieces of it. There's too much white-washing of the North in the U.S. media right now (almost too much coverage of North Korea when the games are in the South in fact).

And all this media coverage miss what's truly despicable about the North (and their commie affiliates in the South, and maybe even here in the States).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or