U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 AM

3,186 posts, read 1,544,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Transferred ownership at the Land Office, yesterday. Moving out on Monday. My ninth home sale. Second one in Thailand. I will be glad to answer questions that you all may have about the process. The weak Dollar allowed me to cut the price some, then I raised it, and suddenly big interest. I held it four years. Not my best buy, but not the worst either.
I always enjoyed my visits to CM and BKK as well. Did you visit and consider anywhere in Vietnam or Philippines? What do you figure is your cost to live in CM vs BKK versus Phoenix?

I'm in the process of selling my condo in Marbella, Spain and that's not a quick process.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 AM

15,978 posts, read 36,954,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ah ok gotcha.. I'm not really interested in being a 'digital nomad' in Chiang Mai. I just happened to find a lot of them posting YouTube video's. You know how youtube is - you search the following 'things to do in Chiang Mai' and voila - you stumble on all these expats posting this stuff.

I'm also not excited about R.E in Chiang Mai. My city is far better for appreciation than that
I follow that, and I have met a few aspiring 'digital nomads' usually attached with some other interest - usually travel, sometimes dating/girls or alternative-somethings (veganism or something)...

Since it's so cheap in SE Asia, it attracts many who try those types of dreams. Sometimes it works out for them (and least in the short-term), others, I just don't know. It's an interesting phenomenon though.

Chiang Mai is a cool little city, but the stimulation is quite predictable. Lots of backpacker traveler types, others into their 'thing' like digital nomad stuff...or Muy Thai...or Thai cooking.

BKK does seem more attractive overall, as you just have everything down there - major international city and all.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:23 AM

2,569 posts, read 1,485,686 times
Lots of retirees, too. Most of the expats up here wouldn't consider BKK, but I am one of the exceptions. Yes, it is a true international city. Some things will be identical in cost to CM, others will be more down there. Bar prices for one. There are some cheap transit options in BKK, like 24 hour bus service, but you need to plan a bit. Both places are a terrible place to drive, and a bad place to park. Living in BKK would cost you between zero and 30% more...mostly depending on your nightlife choices and rent choices. You need AC more in BKK..for sure. I did without for two years here, no problem. But a 16 SEER inverter only cost about 50 cents per day to cool a studio. Top floor or western exposure, more.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM

2,569 posts, read 1,485,686 times
Vietnam was all the rage a few years ago, and quite a few are coming back. Lots of broken promises to the teaching brigade. Philippines? Can go to Mexico if I want to see the Catholic Church lead people to poverty...good cigars, though.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:57 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,745,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I always enjoyed my visits to CM and BKK as well. Did you visit and consider anywhere in Vietnam or Philippines? What do you figure is your cost to live in CM vs BKK versus Phoenix?

I'm in the process of selling my condo in Marbella, Spain and that's not a quick process.
Didn't the Spanish real estate market recover yet? Did Brexit and the Catalonia Independence Movement make it worse?

Quote:
Lots of retirees, too. Most of the expats up here wouldn't consider BKK, but I am one of the exceptions. Yes, it is a true international city. Some things will be identical in cost to CM, others will be more down there. Bar prices for one. There are some cheap transit options in BKK, like 24 hour bus service, but you need to plan a bit. Both places are a terrible place to drive, and a bad place to park. Living in BKK would cost you between zero and 30% more...mostly depending on your nightlife choices and rent choices. You need AC more in BKK..for sure. I did without for two years here, no problem. But a 16 SEER inverter only cost about 50 cents per day to cool a studio. Top floor or western exposure, more.
How are the prices in Chiang Mai compared to Phuket?

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,608,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I follow that, and I have met a few aspiring 'digital nomads' usually attached with some other interest - usually travel, sometimes dating/girls or alternative-somethings (veganism or something)...

Since it's so cheap in SE Asia, it attracts many who try those types of dreams. Sometimes it works out for them (and least in the short-term), others, I just don't know. It's an interesting phenomenon though.

Chiang Mai is a cool little city, but the stimulation is quite predictable. Lots of backpacker traveler types, others into their 'thing' like digital nomad stuff...or Muy Thai...or Thai cooking.

BKK does seem more attractive overall, as you just have everything down there - major international city and all.
I can see the appeal of travel and if you can find a type of work that allows you the opportunity to do this all the power to you. As for Chiang Mai itself, I think it best as a laid back chill place to visit and hang out in for awhile. Maybe travel the countryside and get to know some people and network. Otherwise it is way too sleepy for me so the prospect of moving there long term is just not appealing to me. Bkk otoh is much more my type of city! I could actually see myself living there and in an alternate universe where I didn't have the commitments I do back home - that is where i'd be

Old 02-27-2018, 09:22 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,608,382 times
Quote:
You're a pretty swift guy Hal - enjoying the life. I'll live it vicariously until maybe I can join y'all

I do make the most of my vac time though and Thailand/S.E Asia Is always the place that beckons me the most.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-27-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Vietnam was all the rage a few years ago, and quite a few are coming back. Lots of broken promises to the teaching brigade. Philippines? Can go to Mexico if I want to see the Catholic Church lead people to poverty...good cigars, though.
yeah, I imagine the temptation of better 'teaching english money' would be a draw. But yeah, Vietnamese are bit more like their Korean/Chinese counterparts than that more laid-back Thai/Cambodia/Laos vibe...

I do WISH Manila was safer/more walkable/more 'complete' like Bangkok. I do like the Buddhism of Thailand, but I really like the English/non-language issues of the Philippines. It is a bit too volatile. That being said, many ex-Thailand people seem to head for Cambodia, if I were going to deal with a lack of safety, Manila seems more preferable to Phnom Pehn. MNL is a much bigger city with a ton of stuff going on, much like BKK, in many ways, just without that walkability and safety that BKK provides.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can see the appeal of travel and if you can find a type of work that allows you the opportunity to do this all the power to you. As for Chiang Mai itself, I think it best as a laid back chill place to visit and hang out in for awhile. Maybe travel the countryside and get to know some people and network. Otherwise it is way too sleepy for me so the prospect of moving there long term is just not appealing to me. Bkk otoh is much more my type of city! I could actually see myself living there and in an alternate universe where I didn't have the commitments I do back home - that is where i'd be
That's where I'm at. I also just visiting Penang and I had the same feeling as Chiang Mai - a bit too sleepy, un-stimulating overall. I like the larger city vibe of a million things happening, many you wouldn't expect.

I need to get back to Denpasar/Bali Island...if I were to do a Chiang Mai/Penang type city, I think a Bali/Denpasar might be more interesting...

I also need to get back to Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC as well). Although, all things considered, BKK is a pretty ideal proven city for long-term expats.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:14 AM

3,186 posts, read 1,544,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Didn't the Spanish real estate market recover yet? Did Brexit and the Catalonia Independence Movement make it worse?

How are the prices in Chiang Mai compared to Phuket?
Well the Spanish market is improving at least in some areas such as Marbella (where my condo is) which is probably more dependent on overall European money than Spanish money. Our buyer is from Sweden and our current renter is from UK.

I was worried that Brexit would negatively affect my condo rent and potential sale price but I see no evidence that it did. I also did not see the Catalonia Independence Movement affect prices in Marbella.

Still really enjoy time in Spain. If I weren't married, I would do like Hal and either go to CM or BKK as many of my work friends have done. Since I prefer larger cities, I would likely go for BKK even though I prefer CM climate and lower cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia