Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:51 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker...oldier_student
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:53 AM

127 posts, read 109,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Zhongnanhai is not really a part of Forbidden City by modern standard. All Chinese leaders lived in it.

Xi's attempt to remove the time limit for presidency is not really popular among Chinese people, though most do not care much.
I don't see what is the big deal about.

It is not Xi's attempt to remove the time limit. It is rather a proposal conjured up by the seven member politburo. They all agree to end the term limit. I think they are tired of all the changing faces. They want someone seems to be strong and has good image to represent them for a while. Xi seems to fit this model. By the way, Japan, Germany and UK also has no term limits.

China is governed by seven permanent politburo members. The president in title seems to hold a lot of power and weight. But in reality, the president has no more power than the other council members. Xi is one of the members. The China President's job is really like the speaker of the house in USA. It functions as a representation voice of the politburo communicating to outside world.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:02 AM

Xi Jinping is the least competent Chinese leader ever. He's determined to bring China to the 70s, which was basically a huge North Korea. He is trying to roll back all the efforts made in the past decades that transformed China into a relatively modern economy and civilization today.

If you are old enough, try to recall what China looked like back then.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
I don't see what is the big deal about.

It is not Xi's attempt to remove the time limit. It is rather a proposal conjured up by the seven member politburo. They all agree to end the term limit. I think they are tired of all the changing faces. They want someone seems to be strong and has good image to represent them for a while. Xi seems to fit this model. By the way, Japan, Germany and UK also has no term limits.

China is governed by seven permanent politburo members. The president in title seems to hold a lot of power and weight. But in reality, the president has no more power than the other council members. Xi is one of the members. The China President's job is really like the speaker of the house in USA. It functions as a representation voice of the politburo communicating to outside world.
Xi is extremely powerful because he has triple titles - president, general secretary of the party and chairman of the military.

In Hu Jintao administration, other council members had enough power to prevent him from doing whatever he wanted. But the power of council members are greatly undermined in Xi administration. Xi is the most powerful leader in the past 30 years. Removing the term limit allows him to be a dictator for life.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/26/asia/...ntl/index.html

firstly, sorry for linking to CNN, it was the only article that phrased the situation in the way I wanted.

My second was now that Xi is taking more power BUT moving away from Communism will he reinstate the imperial system (I hope so).

The idea of the Chinese leader residing in the FC and ordering reconstructions of old Chinese architecture and new gardens and places for poets and temples is amazing.

The whole political test based system is a lot like the old Confucius system and with Confucian rising in popularity an added leadership will make China even more amazing.

From what I've seen China has become another capitalist hole but if it can turn itself back into imperial china (with a modern economy of course) with new gardens and temples I'd love to go (as a vacation).

This is sarcasm, right?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
he'll end up like the qin emperor

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Thumbs down China Slides from Communism into Dictatorship

As bad or as good as you think being a representative republic may have failed or succeeded during our recent election, at least we can re-evaluate our choice in 3 years.

It's rather incredible to see the Middle Kingdom, which JUST managed to emerge from the chaos of the collapse of the last round of imperial mismanagement, led right back into the swamp by Xi.

You would think he would take a page from distant-and-recent history and see what happened to Saddam, Qaddafi, and older repressive dictators all throughout history.

Do you think this is a step down the same path as the ROC, which managed to peacefully transition from "benevolent" dictatorship to true democracy? Or are we seeing the start of an ill-fated attempted North-Korea-style reign over 1 Billion relatively wealthy, connected, and educated Chinese?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:24 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
This is sarcasm, right?
What? No.

I’m not saying China should bring its economy back to the imperial era, I’m saying the political structure should have the visuals of a dynastic China.

If Xi is going to take power rather than appear like a contemporary dictator it’d be better (in my opinion) for him to image himself as an emperor and bring back classic Chinese culture to the populace with Confucius values.

Imagine instead of the endless commie blocs of today you instead had a China filled with ancient temples, gardens, and classic imperial buildings WITH modern infrastructure.

I’d go to a country like that.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
As bad or as good as you think being a representative republic may have failed or succeeded during our recent election, at least we can re-evaluate our choice in 3 years.

It's rather incredible to see the Middle Kingdom, which JUST managed to emerge from the chaos of the collapse of the last round of imperial mismanagement, led right back into the swamp by Xi.

You would think he would take a page from distant-and-recent history and see what happened to Saddam, Qaddafi, and older repressive dictators all throughout history.

Do you think this is a step down the same path as the ROC, which managed to peacefully transition from "benevolent" dictatorship to true democracy? Or are we seeing the start of an ill-fated attempted North-Korea-style reign over 1 Billion relatively wealthy, connected, and educated Chinese?
You do know the two examples you used gave their country free healthcare and a stable economy and only fell Because the US government bombed them to the ground. Today they are hardly free and prosperous democracies.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
What does it matter? China is a one-party state. It's either this Xi guy or his clone that thinks just like him.
A small group of party members - the politburo - hold all the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
You do know the two examples you used gave their country free healthcare and a stable economy and only fell Because the US government bombed them to the ground. Today they are hardly free and prosperous democracies.
Not this again...you lost all credibility when you claimed the N. Korea fat guys sister, the head of propaganda, must be a good person because she was "pretty" in a prior thread, as well as a few other bizzare statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia