U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:22 PM

116 posts, read 66,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
But China is also a first-world country, more modern than Japan and SK are.
I think people are too much demonised China. I am happy there is/will be a counterpart to USA in the future, cause USA is not the most important country In the world.
And China is?

Neither country is the most "important" country in the world, to be honest. But you got to admit, USA still has "it" in terms of both soft and hard power. And whether you like it or not, USA will still continue to play a significant role in the future, even with China's continuous rise.

One thing I foresee as a challenge for China is not how many modern skyscrapers she can put up, but to what extent will China be able to wield her soft power successfully.

Soft power comes with artistic freedom, creativity and innovation, which are largely missing in Chinese society as of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 06:31 AM

9,806 posts, read 13,452,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
But China is also a first-world country, more modern than Japan and SK are.
I think people are too much demonised China. I am happy there is/will be a counterpart to USA in the future, cause USA is not the most important country In the world.
I live in China, I am typing this in China, this is a load and a half.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poocho View Post
in asia there are india is most safe nation and the living of standard are also good.other country are maybe safe or have a good living of standard.
This is also a load. Literally. India is a great country with a great culture but they have a toilet crisis and also a rape crisis. Like China, they have a deficiency of women that is going to hit this generation growing up like a sack of bricks...

Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 AM

6,836 posts, read 5,205,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is also a load. Literally. India is a great country with a great culture but they have a toilet crisis and also a rape crisis. Like China, they have a deficiency of women that is going to hit this generation growing up like a sack of bricks...
Itís also a load of awful grammars and spellings lmao

Old 05-04-2018, 12:39 AM

280 posts, read 83,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Living standards other than Japan, South Korea, Singapore, somewhat Taiwan and Hong Kong are what I'd consider "first world". Unfortunately Singapore is too bloody hot and humid to make any level of living standards comfortable.
Go to eat something in the restaurant in the industrial zone of Singapore..... They are so dirty... In any "European comunity country".. such dirty restaurants would be closed immediately..
It is easy to keep clean the center of the city to impresse the tourists.... it is more difficult to change the mentality...

Old 05-05-2018, 03:42 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,589,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It’s also a load of awful grammars and spellings lmao
And how's your Mandarin coming along? lmao

Old 05-06-2018, 12:14 AM

6,836 posts, read 5,205,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
And how's your Mandarin coming along? lmao
Since it's my native language I'm gonna say it's fine.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:34 AM

361 posts, read 234,160 times
I don't think East and Southeast Asian nations are over-rated.

If you think this way, you must be a bitter foreigner living somewhere in SE Asia or East Asia, seeing that things aren't going the way you expected it to be. Or some white-washed self-hating Asian who prefers to eat McDonalds junk food, over eating a bowl of Udon, or a bowl of Bibimbahp, or having a plate of Pancit Filipino noodles.

What irks me the most is when western foreigners travel to East or Southeast Asia to work, or to attend school, or go on some kind of vacation trip, and are critical of the culture and lifestyle in the country that he or she or they visit. These kind of visitors try to compare the local culture with western culture, and heavily criticize how things are done in places like Singapore, China, S. Korea, Japan, Vietnam....etc. They then try to impose their western culture on places and the locals in countries like China, S. Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

I think that the social and even the dating life in East Asian and the Southeastern Asian nations (i.e. Philippines, Thailand) are WAAAAYYY BETTTEEERR than the social scene here in the US.

As an Asian-American guy, I had better dating success with the women in S. Korea, Hong Kong and in the Philippines (my current GF is also from the Philippines), compared to a sh-tty dating life and social scene here in the US.

Here in America, there is so much feminism and anti-male rhetoric where most of the women here in the US, plain suck. They tend to divorce at higher rates, tend to not want to have children, and tend to have a hobby, yes guys, a HOBBY, of divorcing men where men have to foot over a large chunk of $$ for child support, etc.
I think that some of you guys get the gist of what I'm saying in terms of the quality of women here in the US and other western nations.

Had it not been for my Filipina GF (Soon to be fiance), i would still be date-less and single here in the US.

Lastly, a lot of East Asian countries, such as S. Korea and Japan, are MUCH SAFER countries compared to the US and the UK. Why? These two countries that I have specified tend to be gun-free countries. No NRA ding-dongs hollering how citizens in the country should own guns to protect themselves (although here in the US due to crazy and violent type of crimes, I support the right to have/own guns). Do you hear of school or college or church shootings in S. Korea or Japan? Nope!

The school and education system in East Asia is also more strict. You don't have a lot of truants and "thugs" trying to be cool in school. No idiots wearing his pants down to his knees, wearing his cap sideways on his head.

(But i will call a spade a spade, and state that the downside to the education system in East Asian nations is that it does not promote creativity and is super rigid.....just one way to solve a problem when there are multiple ways to solve problems.)

Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I don't think East and Southeast Asian nations are over-rated.

If you think this way, you must be a bitter foreigner living somewhere in SE Asia or East Asia, seeing that things aren't going the way you expected it to be. Or some white-washed self-hating Asian who prefers to eat McDonalds junk food, over eating a bowl of Udon, or a bowl of Bibimbahp, or having a plate of Pancit Filipino noodles.
You look down upon Asian-Americans who grew up with and thus prefer Western food?

Quote:
What irks me the most is when western foreigners travel to East or Southeast Asia to work, or to attend school, or go on some kind of vacation trip, and are critical of the culture and lifestyle in the country that he or she or they visit. These kind of visitors try to compare the local culture with western culture, and heavily criticize how things are done in places like Singapore, China, S. Korea, Japan, Vietnam....etc. They then try to impose their western culture on places and the locals in countries like China, S. Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, etc.
It's a common thing among certain groups of Asians, too *cough, China*.

Quote:
I think that the social and even the dating life in East Asian and the Southeastern Asian nations (i.e. Philippines, Thailand) are WAAAAYYY BETTTEEERR than the social scene here in the US.

As an Asian-American guy, I had better dating success with the women in S. Korea, Hong Kong and in the Philippines (my current GF is also from the Philippines), compared to a sh-tty dating life and social scene here in the US.

Here in America, there is so much feminism and anti-male rhetoric where most of the women here in the US, plain suck. They tend to divorce at higher rates, tend to not want to have children, and tend to have a hobby, yes guys, a HOBBY, of divorcing men where men have to foot over a large chunk of $$ for child support, etc.
I think that some of you guys get the gist of what I'm saying in terms of the quality of women here in the US and other western nations.

Had it not been for my Filipina GF (Soon to be fiance), i would still be date-less and single here in the US.

Lastly, a lot of East Asian countries, such as S. Korea and Japan, are MUCH SAFER countries compared to the US and the UK. Why? These two countries that I have specified tend to be gun-free countries. No NRA ding-dongs hollering how citizens in the country should own guns to protect themselves (although here in the US due to crazy and violent type of crimes, I support the right to have/own guns). Do you hear of school or college or church shootings in S. Korea or Japan? Nope!

The school and education system in East Asia is also more strict. You don't have a lot of truants and "thugs" trying to be cool in school. No idiots wearing his pants down to his knees, wearing his cap sideways on his head.

(But i will call a spade a spade, and state that the downside to the education system in East Asian nations is that it does not promote creativity and is super rigid.....just one way to solve a problem when there are multiple ways to solve problems.)
If you grew up in Asia, you would likely be frustrated by familial obligations that take precedence over your own, the oppressive education system, the social obligation to eschew enjoyment and self-fulfillment for doing things "the right way," needing to check all the boxes before you're able to gain the approval of a woman's family to date her or be forced to marry someone you don't want to because it's the family's will, etc. Mental health issue? Drink hot water, eat some herbs, change your way of thinking, and never talk about it again. At least in the US, you were given the freedom to become who you are; back here, you'd probably just be exactly like everyone else and thrown into the same maelstorm to try to rise to the top with very little to differentiate you from anyone else and very little real support network should you ever truly fall.

This is a big part of the reason that there are 1,000x times as many people leaving East Asia as moving in or moving back. I've navigated my life here well and reap the benefits daily, but I've seen many young Chinese-Americans/Canadians/Australians/British come here with your mentality and leave with an entirely different one.

But, hey... You'd get to be part of the majority and eat noodles!! that counts for something, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or