U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Just out of curiosity since I have never been to Asia. I keep reading that it is very safe. How come it is so safe compared to many western countries? Has this ever been evaluated?
I've lived and worked in Shanghai & Beijing,China, UBN, Mongolia, & Seoul, Korea and they have all been very safe (Mongolia probably less so). Random violence is just very rare although there were some fights at bars where females and Euro and Asian males intermingled.

I'm 6'6" (1.98M) with a high muscle content and low fat and I suppose not an easy target anywhere but I thought it would take a minimum of 4 Chinese men to take me down without weapons if a situation escalated to that point and weapons were not commonplace....I considered Mongolian men a bigger physical threat in a confrontational situation.

Sure, there are plenty of sites that have data for comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
they are also very xenophobic
Not really. Asia is too huge to generalize. While there are certainly places where they don't like marrying off their daughters to foreigners (for cultural or religious reasons), there are also countries in Asia where women prefer foreign husbands. In normal tourist situations however, foreigners are generally safe in much of Asia. As long as foreigners act respectful (i.e., not act like they're colonial masters), Asians will generally be happy to serve you (as a tourist/customer) and earn your $.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:08 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Density = Filth. Living so close to each other, actually on top of each other, no thanks. Up 20-30 stories...aikes!

Freedom = What? Freedom? Nowhere in Asia is it near enough to the definition of 'freedom'...most governments are totalitarian.

Safety = Myth. A lot of assults go unreported in places like Japan. Hong Kong is basically a triad run city state.

Australia ANY day!

Air conditioners are everywhere, yes - pollutants, electricity...err, not exactly comfortable without them!
Sounds like you already have a bias.

Density vs. Rural - it's a personal choice.

Freedom - Freedom to drink a beer at the beach, if I so desire. or drink a beer in the park (that freedom doesn't exist in the U.S). The freedom to have my workplace and residence be close to each other (U.S. is heavily zoned with few mixed-use area), and other things. Freedoms are a personal thing. I have all the same freedoms that I enjoyed in the U.S., and a few more that I couldn't do in the U.S.

Safety - Assaults in Japan? Hong Kong is a triad-run city? You read some unusual sources to get that as second-hand information.

But anyway, it seems your entire post purpose is to ensure yourself that Australia is superior to Asia. The world is a big place, you don't have to like places that you aren't comfortable with, or aren't familiar with. It really doesn't matter. If you like Australia, that's fine. If others like living in Asia, that's fine too. There is no wrong choice with a personal preference.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Freedom - Freedom to drink a beer at the beach, if I so desire. or drink a beer in the park (that freedom doesn't exist in the U.S). The freedom to have my workplace and residence be close to each other (U.S. is heavily zoned with few mixed-use area), and other things. Freedoms are a personal thing. I have all the same freedoms that I enjoyed in the U.S., and a few more that I couldn't do in the U.S.

Safety - Assaults in Japan? Hong Kong is a triad-run city? You read some unusual sources to get that as second-hand information.

But anyway, it seems your entire post purpose is to ensure yourself that Australia is superior to Asia. The world is a big place, you don't have to like places that you aren't comfortable with, or aren't familiar with. It really doesn't matter. If you like Australia, that's fine. If others like living in Asia, that's fine too. There is no wrong choice with a personal preference.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:34 AM

102 posts, read 48,473 times
Maybe they only see asians moving or wanting to move to western countries, and forget those rich and educated asians not like moving to the West.

True. There are crimes in Asia as well.

Most asian countries and territories don't have most of the women prefer foreign husbands. The list include developed Singapore, HK, Israel, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan as well as developing Mainland China, Mongolia, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and many countries in Central Asia and the Middle East. There should just be a few such countries if they exist.

Heard a lot of people from first world western countries complaining about living in Singapore, Macau, HK, Israel, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. These are countries and territories considered first world in economy. But they are kinda looked down or felt uncomfortable by many westerners living there. History of Asia occupied by the western powers, Japan losing the world war two and racial stereotypes are some of the reasons the westerners think some parts of Asia are not first world no matter how rich some asians in asia are in this century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Not really. Asia is too huge to generalize. While there are certainly places where they don't like marrying off their daughters to foreigners (for cultural or religious reasons), there are also countries in Asia where women prefer foreign husbands. In normal tourist situations however, foreigners are generally safe in much of Asia. As long as foreigners act respectful (i.e., not act like they're colonial masters), Asians will generally be happy to serve you (as a tourist/customer) and earn your $.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,441,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Asia, especially East Asia is far from overrated. In fact it is underrated. It is one of the more interesting yet modern and safe places in the world. You can’t say that about Africa, Latin America or the Middle East. You can argue that even Europe is less safe than East Asia with its pockets of immigrant no-go zones.
Add America to unsafe.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 AM

5,599 posts, read 2,904,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Add America to unsafe.
Touché.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:28 AM

2,136 posts, read 1,391,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Lol @ the freedom statement. That's exactly what I said against someone from Texas. My exact words were, "I feel so less free being able to drink outside in the street in Shibuya". I'm thoroughly convinced people need to get out more, though I understand it's not exactly 'cheap' to travel abroad.

However... priorities. Staying in Tokyo for 3 weeks was cheaper than staying in Boston/Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/Chicago/San Francisco for 3 days (NYC I rent rent stabilized, so it wins there but in the same vein, it's much more expensive for a visitor). Sometimes the flights are cheaper to Tokyo than to San Francisco from NYC. I might have an addiction...

Old 03-06-2018, 11:27 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Lol @ the freedom statement. That's exactly what I said against someone from Texas. My exact words were, "I feel so less free being able to drink outside in the street in Shibuya". I'm thoroughly convinced people need to get out more, though I understand it's not exactly 'cheap' to travel abroad.
I was in Japan for years, and every time I got on a train and saw someone open a beer, I was half expecting the person to potentially get thrown up a wall and arrested (i.e American style).

The U.S. is very well-regulated and well-contained. But, I find it fascinating that Americans don't see their restrictions. Personally, I think its half of the reason there is so much violence in the U.S. People just can't do anything, and they get all pent up and it releases itself in weird ways.

Let's take drinking in the U.S. (excluding NYC-type exceptions). The society is structured around cars/oil, so everyone has to consume car/oil to live in the U.S., to exist. Again regulated, so people can't live a five minute walk from their 'store' or 'bar' (unlike in Asia, where everything is mixed used). So, in American society, you have to live in the residentially zoned area, but you have to work and 'play' in the business zoned areas. But you have to own a car and consume gas/oil to get between the two. So if you drink your beer in the 'acceptably zoned area' at a bar, in a commercial district. Then you have to try to get back - and then you are rightfully so a criminal for being caught doing that.

Sex. It's a criminal offense in the U.S. for any man to engage with transactional sex. (I don't engage in paid sex myself, so take this in mind, this isn't an argument for me). But the American concept is that if a person wants sex and isn't married, or attractive enough, or doesn't have good enough social skills to get it for free, then they should be criminalized for transactional sex. So you get these weird guys in the U.S., who go out and get prostitutes and kill them, or they stalk normal people and rape and kill them. My guess is they have no outlets for sex, and whatever they do is a criminal offense, so they just rationalize it somehow.

Guns. Guns is about the only freedom one has in the U.S., and people there seem adamant about keeping that one. If you get sick of the consumer culture, and all of the restrictions, you can legally go and buy guns and ammo...release some rounds out in the woods or shooting range or whatever. I think they need that right, because everything else is so pent up. I would argue that one person's right to carry around artillery weapons takes away my right to feel safe walking down the street without one though. But that's another argument.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 PM

657 posts, read 582,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, for example, you may have some micro-level freedom which you don't have in the west.
Whether they are good or bad is another issue.

In China, it is totally legal and common to leave your child alone at home when you need to see a movie.
It is pretty common to call people fat/skinny and they will not be offended, unless you say it in an aggressive way.
When you hire, it is OK to announce you only want 25-, good looking female from Shanghai, although you may be criticized.

Excellent examples........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or