Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:37 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenngks View Post
Some Asian cities such as Singapore like to think that just because they are ranked highly in
Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), they are of first world standard.

They use nice sounding names like Smart Nation, Smart City and so on.
However, their subway system always breaks down and their national bank have ATMs that has software bugs that
devour cash without acknowledgement, as they hire third world programmers.
Singapore Does Badly in World Bank Report on Wealth of Nations « Economics « Opinion « TR EMERITUS
Their customer service staff could not speak proper English as they were recruited from third world.

Yes, they are over-rated.
Singapore is very much first world these days. Have you spent much time there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:10 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Haha. Funny, I wanted to ask the same thing. I have no idea what "EIU" or "Smart City" or "Smart Nation" or any of that B.S. means, but nobody I know who has spent half a day or more exploring Singapore in the past 25-30 years considers it to be anything other than a wealthy first-world nation.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Japan and Thailand are

Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Last time I checked Asia wasn't a country. If you think some particular place is then express some cogent arguments why that might be the case instead of making statements like: Is the West the Best ?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,475,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
still wouldn't drink the tap

Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Last time I checked Asia wasn't a country.
So continents aren't allowed to be overrated or underrated? Only countries? What about planets? Neighborhoods?

Old 04-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
still wouldn't drink the tap
Is that how we define the first world now? I wouldn't drink the water in parts of Western Europe or the U.S. (Flint, Michigan, anyone?), either, but they are still first world.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
So continents aren't allowed to be overrated or underrated? Only countries? What about planets? Neighborhoods?
Exactly, is Earth overrated compared to Mars?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:18 AM

116 posts, read 192,062 times
I'd echo the sentiment that many Asian countries are actually under-rated, as opposed to over-rated.

I think China gets a lot of negative media in the U.S. We don't really see China all that much on our TV (even those travel shows), so I'm already surprised when I watch independent travel documentaries and see how much of natural beauty China's got to offer.

If anything, Japan's more on the overrated side, but that's okay.

Along with China. S.Korea also gets pretty 'bad press' here, well almost equivalent to no press since they're also linked up with N.Korea. The only time S.Korea is featured on American/Canadian TV is if they have something with N.Korea and/or something about plastic surgery or internet addiction. Never anything positive.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:12 AM

24,609 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Japan and Thailand are
That’s ridiculous. Thailand itself has about 4 top tourist locations: Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chang Mai

Numbers don’t lie and you can’t fake tourism.

Now Japan, maybe. It’s a very beautiful country (mostly Tokyo) and it’s hard not to admire what they have built. But at the same time, a lot of places are off-limits to foreigners so you’re hard pressed to see the real Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia