Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Asia is not overrated. I just got back from being SE Asia for 3 weeks and had an amazing time. The food, the culture, the people are all fantastic!

I do prefer NE Asia but that's just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:12 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I don't think Asia (assuming we are talking about East/Southeast/South Asia here) is generally overrated; if anything, I think that westerners tend to underestimate the standards of living across Asia. Many people still adhere to post-WW2/Vietnam-era stereotypes of malnourishment, abundant crime, soical and political etc that are generally outdated.

This said, there are certainly a subset of people who do blow Asia up into more than it is, or at least misinterpret it grossly. Think: anime nerds/weeaboos, desperate dudes looking for love, people with an axe to grind with Western society or culture who think that Asia has it all down pat. When those people come here looking for a Fantasyland where they are held on a pedestal simply for being a foreigner who's interested (or obsessed) with local culture, life is usually a massive disappointment.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 836,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Living standards other than Japan, South Korea, Singapore, somewhat Taiwan and Hong Kong are what I'd consider "first world".
There's no "somewhat" regarding Taiwan and Hong Kong being first world-- They are, period, and have been for decades. Many cities in mainland China are now completely modern, too, though I wouldn't personally want to live there due to the poor air quality and human rights issues.

In addition to the places you listed, there are pockets of wealth popping up in cities within countries that are still otherwise "third world"-- Bangkok is full of large modern high rises now, for example, and (for better or worse-- personally I think worse) is trying to kill off its old image by getting rid of street food, tightening up alcohol laws, making their pharmacies no longer narcotic free-for-alls, etc. I predict in 20 years BKK will look more like Singapore or Tokyo than the city from the "Hangover" movie.

Lesser versions of this are going on elsewhere in SE Asia-- Saigon, Hanoi, Jakarta, KL, etc. I wouldn't call them "first world" (whatever that even means anymore) yet, but they are moving in that direction.

And then, of course, there is the quality of life to be had outside of the major cities if you like beaches, mountains, clean air, etc. If you find the heat of Singapore intolerable, SE Asia in general probably isn't for you, though, regardless of quality of life.

If anything, I think Asia is quite *under* rated in the west, with the possible exception of Tokyo and Hong Kong, which are obviously quite well known.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol. Since when has Asia been known for quality of life and since when have people been calling Asian countries "first world"? In your delusion?
Uh....If we're talking about places like Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, people have been calling them "first world" for as long as I can remember, and I'm not that young. Especially Japan--- Good God, have you been to Tokyo? Compared to any American city, it looks like something from the future. (I say this as an American, for what it's worth. We don't have any large city that modern.)

Also, quite a lot of westerners move to Asia specifically for the quality of life. There are literally retirement communities and modern condo buildings full of foreigners popping up all over the place. I'm not sure you've even been to Asia.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't think Asia (assuming we are talking about East/Southeast/South Asia here) is generally overrated; if anything, I think that westerners tend to underestimate the standards of living across Asia.
Yes! As evidenced by some of the posters in this thread. haha.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I didn't know moving to another country made you incontinent. So the company that manufactures Depends must make a killing in Thailand.
Haha. I'd say for the typical US American, going to SE Asia can be a little bit like going to Mexico in terms of rolling the dice with your GI tract, even if you don't drink the water. There are just different bugs that we haven't developed an immunity to. I have personally never had a problem in the four times I've been to Thailand, but I did the only time I went to Cambodia, for example.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:15 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Uh....If we're talking about places like Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore, people have been calling them "first world" for as long as I can remember, and I'm not that young. Especially Japan--- Good God, have you been to Tokyo? Compared to any American city, it looks like something from the future. (I say this as an American, for what it's worth. We don't have any large city that modern.)

Also, quite a lot of westerners move to Asia specifically for the quality of life. There are literally retirement communities and modern condo buildings full of foreigners popping up all over the place. I'm not sure you've even been to Asia.
He's from Taiwan. Of course he has.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
I don't know how you would go about "rating" a massive continent with cities as disparate as Tokyo, Tel Aviv, Mumbai, Pyongyang and Vladivostok - let alone "over" or "under" rating it.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
He's from Taiwan. Of course he has.
Hmm. He must live in a different, Bizarro World version of Taiwan than the one I live in, then, and must not travel much elsewhere in Asia. Or read. Or watch the news. How else could one possibly not realize that much of East Asia is developed and has been for decades? To not recognize Taipei or Tokyo as first world would be like not recognizing New York or Chicago as first world.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:54 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post

Out of ~50 countries in Asia only like 5 are developed countries. That’s not a very good figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia