U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM

276 posts, read 204,387 times

Advertisements

Living standards other than Japan, South Korea, Singapore, somewhat Taiwan and Hong Kong are what I'd consider "first world". Unfortunately Singapore is too bloody hot and humid to make any level of living standards comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 3,124 times
I disagree. Living standards in Thailand are way more than comfortable.

You make good money, nothing fantastic but more than sufficient to live good here, and even save quite a good percentage of your income every month. Obviously, if you live in BKK, extreme heat and pollution are part of your daily life. But you have some of the best beaches of the world in a 1hour flight, great and cheap food, excellent infrastructures, etc.

South-East Asia is not over-rated according to me

Old 03-04-2018, 08:43 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
yes

it has mosquitoes and you have to drink bottled water

you'll also poop in your pants

food is good though except for the weird stuff

Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

you'll also poop in your pants
Lovely.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Living standards other than Japan, South Korea, Singapore, somewhat Taiwan and Hong Kong are what I'd consider "first world". Unfortunately Singapore is too bloody hot and humid to make any level of living standards comfortable.
No idea what climate has to do with living standards. Singapore is a city with air-conditioners everywhere, and the evenings are great to walk around. I love good weather.

Wait, you consider Hong Kong 'somewhat' first-world? What is your definition of 'first world'? Is it all connected to weather for you?

In general, all the money in the world flows through 4 major cities - Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York City, and London...those are top tier 'highest of the high'...by most definitions. Then you get to second tier ones, Los Angeles, Paris, Singapore, etc. Still top stuff, but if you had to rank them.

Taking a few out just because one person doesn't like air conditioning, or prefers cold to hot...those are just relative things, with nothing to do with 'first world' or 'living standards'.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 AM

5,554 posts, read 2,892,089 times
Weather is subjective. What you find oppressive someone might find great. I know I would totally trade our lousy cold northeast U.S. weather for tropical Singapore weather in a heartbeat.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 AM

5,554 posts, read 2,892,089 times
Asia, especially East Asia is far from overrated. In fact it is underrated. It is one of the more interesting yet modern and safe places in the world. You can’t say that about Africa, Latin America or the Middle East. You can argue that even Europe is less safe than East Asia with its pockets of immigrant no-go zones.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,441,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I've spent considerable time in Asia and I would vote underrated.

Japan - 1st world, long lifespan, good food, climate diversity
South Korea (lived in Seoul 8 months) - Great food, safe, organized and 1st world, (crazy northern neighborhood)
Singapore - everything like Japan except it's hot and humid
Thailand - Some climate diversity, great food, safe, very cheap to live well

I would agree that nowhere in Asia has a climate that I find as desirable as Socal or southern Spain, or Arequipa, Peru but oh well deal. I would like to see Da lat, Vietnam as it looks pretty pleasant climate wise.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:49 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,013,628 times
I thought Bangkok was insane. From the humid and dismal heat to the crowds, pollution. I would advise visitors to Thailand to lower your expectations of the city or just skip it.
I only like to see the small towns and very small cities in Asia. Thats the real experience, in the big cities its similar big malls and traffic as any old Usa city.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Lol. Since when has Asia been known for quality of life and since when have people been calling Asian countries "first world"? In your delusion?

We get it. You have made your point perfectly clear: Australia is the best and Asia sucks. Multiple times. If you like beating a dead horse that much, maybe discuss it with your Aussie-supremacist group of friends? I'm sure they wouldn't mind. We don't have time for this. #kissbye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or