U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,884,692 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to any of these cities but I am very much interested in going to Southeast Asia! It all looks so stimulating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM

1,005 posts, read 454,412 times
Bangkok

Saigon

Des Moines
Wichita

Jakarta

Old 03-21-2018, 05:41 PM

480 posts, read 191,194 times
Saigon - the more intriguing city....? far to compare with Jakarta or Bangkok
I say different level, equation is because saigon same in Asean

Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 PM

I compared Jakarta to Bangkok 5 years ago Jakarta was still inferior of Bangkok for facilities, infrastructure, quality of life etc. but now Jakarta is better than Bangkok, problem Jakarta is still losing in transportation compared with bangkok

Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM

1,900 posts, read 830,113 times
I only been to Bangkok once but it left a lasting impression on me and every time I think back on it I miss the place a lot and wish I could move there.

There was energy there I have never witnessed again elsewhere. The humidity was brutal however and it took me a few days to adjust. But in the end nothing was actually better than relaxing on some high-rise roof-top bar, late at night watching the endless sea of the city lights with a warm, humid yet comfortable breeze in your face, while sipping on your drink and listing to some good jazz.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:46 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
I compared Jakarta to Bangkok 5 years ago Jakarta was still inferior of Bangkok for facilities, infrastructure, quality of life etc. but now Jakarta is better than Bangkok, problem Jakarta is still losing in transportation compared with bangkok
I haven't been back to Jakarta in quite awhile, but I can't imagine it having the infrastructure. Plus, Jakarta is so car-dependent, and so unwalkable, it isn't even funny. I don't think that can even be addressed. I really WANT to like Jakarta, but everytime I research it, it sounds like it continues to be unwalkable, sprawly, and mall-focused.

Bangkok offers a ton of sois and better sidewalks and more 'life' to the city streets.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,443,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I only been to Bangkok once but it left a lasting impression on me and every time I think back on it I miss the place a lot and wish I could move there.

There was energy there I have never witnessed again elsewhere. The humidity was brutal however and it took me a few days to adjust. But in the end nothing was actually better than relaxing on some high-rise roof-top bar, late at night watching the endless sea of the city lights with a warm, humid yet comfortable breeze in your face, while sipping on your drink and listing to some good jazz.
LOL....every time I leave Thailand I think I must be crazy.

I do want to travel to HCM (Saigon) some day and check it out.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,580,472 times
I have been to all three cities and I'd rank them in this order in terms of tourism value - Bangkok, then Jakarta and Ho Chi Minh City are tied... And this is despite me being partial to Indonesia as a destination over Thailand and Vietnam!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I haven't been back to Jakarta in quite awhile, but I can't imagine it having the infrastructure. Plus, Jakarta is so car-dependent, and so unwalkable, it isn't even funny. I don't think that can even be addressed. I really WANT to like Jakarta, but everytime I research it, it sounds like it continues to be unwalkable, sprawly, and mall-focused.

Bangkok offers a ton of sois and better sidewalks and more 'life' to the city streets.
yeah Tiger Beer thanks to repley, I hope you have time to visit Jakarta,maybe you believe what I mean Jakarta is a city with very rapid development even next year Jakarta has a good mass transportation
but also still a lot of poverty, but relatively reduced compared to the previous year

Jakarta is getting better especially the city layout ,pedestrian etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovsxjRO7BXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xQ_ZBFvvPk

Old 09-26-2018, 12:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
yeah Tiger Beer thanks to repley, I hope you have time to visit Jakarta,maybe you believe what I mean Jakarta is a city with very rapid development even next year Jakarta has a good mass transportation
but also still a lot of poverty, but relatively reduced compared to the previous year

Jakarta is getting better especially the city layout ,pedestrian etc.
You just showed me two videos with massively annoying car-centric streets. Yeah, that is exactly what I don't like. I think people in Indonesia like to show traffic jams, shopping malls, as if that as the only thing that matters - i.e. 'developed' with the same ills as anywhere else.

That's what makes Bangkok more attractive. Many little sois everywhere that have a more intimate neighborhood experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia