U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Bangkok, Jakarta, Saigon - the more intriguing city?

All 3 are quite interesting, with a ton of plusses (or I suppose some negatives) as well. What are some things you love and/or hate about them, bet if you've been there, but even if you haven't, and just how you might perceive them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Well I don't think I'm giving you a very good answer but here goes. Out of these 3 I've only been to Bangkok (twice). When you ask which is the most intriguing, I would go with Saigon. But that's because I'm already somewhat familiar with Bangkok and I enjoy Vietnamese culture more than Indonesian. But really all three cities are probably quite similar in a lot of ways and I'm sure I'd like spending time in all of them.

To live I am probably most comfortable in Bangkok. The fixed transit network and my familiarity with the city are the greatest factors. Also, it seemingly has the best medical care/facilities.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well I don't think I'm giving you a very good answer but here goes. Out of these 3 I've only been to Bangkok (twice). When you ask which is the most intriguing, I would go with Saigon. But that's because I'm already somewhat familiar with Bangkok and I enjoy Vietnamese culture more than Indonesian. But really all three cities are probably quite similar in a lot of ways and I'm sure I'd like spending time in all of them.

To live I am probably most comfortable in Bangkok. The fixed transit network and my familiarity with the city are the greatest factors. Also, it seemingly has the best medical care/facilities.
True, all three cities do have similarities. They all continue to be attractive to me as well. I do agree with your assessment about Bangkok being the most comfortable.

Jakarta has the most amenities similar to Bangkok, but not so walkable though.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:01 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,262,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Bangkok, Jakarta, Saigon - the more intriguing city?

All 3 are quite interesting, with a ton of plusses (or I suppose some negatives) as well. What are some things you love and/or hate about them, bet if you've been there, but even if you haven't, and just how you might perceive them...
If you have never been to any of them I would rate them as below in order of preference.

1) Bangkok

2) Saigon

3) Jakarta

Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
If you have never been to any of them I would rate them as below in order of preference.

1) Bangkok

2) Saigon

3) Jakarta
I've been to all three. But Jakarta and Saigon was both in 2000....I am sure they've both changed a lot by now. I love Bangkok, I was just there a few months ago.

Your list with bangkok on top, is the same as mine. I need to get back to the other two again! Hopefully this year....

Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
LOL sounds like all three of us have the same order. But as I said before, my rank is not terribly informed.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:02 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,396,193 times
I'd like to visit them in this order: Bangkok, Jakarta, Saigon

Old 03-15-2018, 06:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Bangkok still gets most of the attention due to Thailand's popularity, but Saigon is a fascinating city itself. Haven't been to Jakarta.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Saigon isn't in Bangkok's league as an intriguing big city. Saigon is like a bunch of small towns pushed together. And the Vietnamese are busy trying to be China or America while Thais have their own unique brand of east meets west under a Buddhist umbrella.

I'll be revisiting both countries and plan to spend plenty of time in Bangkok but I don't need to go back to Saigon. Jakarta is well worth getting to.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Saigon isn't in Bangkok's league as an intriguing big city. Saigon is like a bunch of small towns pushed together. And the Vietnamese are busy trying to be China or America while Thais have their own unique brand of east meets west under a Buddhist umbrella.

I'll be revisiting both countries and plan to spend plenty of time in Bangkok but I don't need to go back to Saigon. Jakarta is well worth getting to.
yep, I love that aspect of Thailand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia