U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,281,601 times

Advertisements

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always found that interesting. The majority of Asian immigrants to the U.S.A. definitely fall more in line with REPUBLICANS - strongly.

But, oddly enough the Republican Party does nothing to embrace them whatsoever. They tend to shun them, if anything, or fear them, or persecute them. It's fascinating how little awareness that Republicans have about immigrants, but it isn't their base anyway. So they just don't care.

But, in general, people from Asia are more about economics and money-making business opportunities. They have little interest in income equality, gay rights, or anything like that. U.S. Republicans seem to paint ALL immigrants as welfare-loving Democrat-voting lazy-ass types.
Why are your views on Asians so outdated. The Democratic candidate has won the Asian vote since Bush ran in 92.

According to this roughly 54% identify as Dem and 25% as Rep.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....trump.amp.html

And also below is a sampling

Vietnamese were the only group that was even during the last elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Why are your views on Asians so outdated. The Democratic candidate has won the Asian vote since Bush ran in 92.
Good graph. Yeah, I know.

My entire post was to say that Asians think like Republicans but vote Democrat - mostly because of Republican attitudes towards non-whites and immigrants.

It's also another example how Asians don't fit in well with the liberal/conservative divide. The fact they value more Republican issues, but vote Democratic, is basically how politics in Asia just don't fit into that tiny weird box of political either/or thought.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:32 AM

1,023 posts, read 459,602 times
Quote:
My entire post was to say that Asians think like Republicans but vote Democrat
Well that's a hell of a backpedal. So you're saying they "fall in line with Republicans" except for the minor detail of voting against them?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,632,847 times
Quote:
JAPAN is pretty amazing in that regard, by the way.

Actually insanely proactive about it. The government actively gives a ton of financial support and every other support to give Mom time with their kids and newborns. So much so, that it has a backlash that the Japan gov't seems to want Mom's at home more than in the workplace.

JAPAN also lead the world in PATERNAL rights, oddly enough. 30 weeks of PAID LEAVE for any Father in Japan. South Korea is #2 in paid Paternal Leave at 16. Nowhere comes close except for a small handful of European countries between 4-8 weeks.
Japan does that because their population is ageing, and fewer young Japanese are getting married and having children. Trying to reverse the demographic time bomb with these natal incentives. Not sure if that's working.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:

It's also another example how Asians don't fit in well with the liberal/conservative divide. The fact they value more Republican issues, but vote Democratic, is basically how politics in Asia just don't fit into that tiny weird box of political either/or thought.
The same actually can be said to describe African Americans and Latinos/Hispanics - both groups are religious, family and group oriented, too - and have what you might call "traditional values". But the Republicans have blown it with them.

Anyway, Asian Americans aren't monolithic - they span the spectrum demographically, and their political allegiances vary by group and generation.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,105,242 times
Quote:
My entire post was to say that Asians think like Republicans but vote Democrat - mostly because of Republican attitudes towards non-whites and immigrants.
And yet, its the Dems who champion affirmative action, which discriminates against East Asians, while the GOP champions merit rather than racial considerations, which would benefit East Asians...

Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,648,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
And yet, its the Dems who champion affirmative action, which discriminates against East Asians, while the GOP champions merit rather than racial considerations, which would benefit East Asians...
To be fair, the recent AA discrimination against Asians is very new and isnít widely known. We may see some political reaction by Asians against Democrats, but we wonít really know until the next few election cycles pass.

I will say, at least where I live, Iím fairly involved in the Chinese community and most seem to support Republicans, but the people I know must not be typical, because it sure doesnít seem to follow voting patterns.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Well that's a hell of a backpedal. So you're saying they "fall in line with Republicans" except for the minor detail of voting against them?
Well, the argument I was making is that Republicans are perceived as racist, anti-immigrant, anti-everything....if Republicans embraced and reached out to non-whites, they'd have a good voting block among Asians, who DO fall more in line with other Republican values overall.

That's not a backpedal. I'm stating the same message, I'm just drawing the line and arrow.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-19-2018 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Not quite. You can still have anti-Asian American bias in college admissions with or without affirmative action policies. Like legacy admits that disproportionately benefit white applicants.

Actually, a number of us aren't willing to be stalking horses for people like Edward Blum, who put up Becky with the bad grades in Fisher v. University of Texas.

Who we vote for is our own business, regardless of your whitesplaining, Marco Polo.

Last edited by silverkris; 03-19-2018 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 AM

102 posts, read 48,813 times
I don't know what Asian Americans think. I know both rich and poor people. I know a lot of Chinese and some other Asians in Asia welcoming welfare. As you can guess, they are mostly poorer people. Rich people, asian or not, they don't need welfare therefore they don't care about welfare policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I can't speak for the other groups but traditional Chinese culture has some parallels to conservative American culture (think the South), mostly in the area of Family Values.

But they're also quite different in areas, like, say, religious values.

Most are either against or indifferent to welfare.. I don't think I've ever met any Chinese or Chinese American who welcomed welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or