U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 04:22 AM

54 posts, read 30,548 times

Advertisements

There are some strong cultural differences. For example, in Indian society, one usually pools together the wider family wealth (cousins etc...) together in order to support people who need help (welfare) and therefore government state-benefits are pretty much a last resort issue that is usually only taken up by immoral people.

A lot of cases, Indian culture is more socially liberal than Western culture; for a huge era of Indian politics, the most homophobic section of Indian society were the left-wing old money class that had became middle class under British rule - being educated under the British they were sympathetic to Christianity and supported secularism.

A lot of the Non-Western influences are still left-over in East Asia; things like third gender or the beauty culture (which Americans think is gay or feminine), or vegetarianism and animal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
To be fair, the recent AA discrimination against Asians is very new and isn’t widely known. We may see some political reaction by Asians against Democrats, but we won’t really know until the next few election cycles pass.

I will say, at least where I live, I’m fairly involved in the Chinese community and most seem to support Republicans, but the people I know must not be typical, because it sure doesn’t seem to follow voting patterns.
This is actually something I really wonder about US media and their reporting on minorities in the US.

Non-Muslim Indians (I am discussing second generation + Indians) are right-wing in Canada, Western Europe, and Oceania. Hindu Nationalism is rising fast in South Asia currently, and I doubt Indians in East Asia would not align with the right-wing too.

It's really odd for Indian Americans to be so left-wing. I wonder if there's a huge racism problem brewing among the mainly left-wing US media... the media in UK, the most supportive of the Indian community usually, is suffering now from a anti-Indian and Pro-Muslim left-wing, with the Indians complaining about racism.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's not our problem. That's a problem for the national GOP party to resolve.

If the GOP wants more Asian American votes, they have to figure out why we go for Democrats by a margin of 2-1 in the last 20 or so years and work on it. Remember, more Asian American voters went for Bush I than Clinton back in 1992. So they did have a lot of Asian American voters but have lost their way.
This isn't completely true actually. Apart from very biased polling (such as only polling confirmed voters on an issue around election time), most Asians don't actually vote - its been below 50% for a long time now and I doubt conservative Asians would be delighted with the racism from Trump.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 AM

11,429 posts, read 7,172,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowonder201812345 View Post
This isn't completely true actually. Apart from very biased polling (such as only polling confirmed voters on an issue around election time), most Asians don't actually vote - its been below 50% for a long time now and I doubt conservative Asians would be delighted with the racism from Trump.
Well, I'm speaking about the ones that actually vote.

I do agree that low Asian American voter turnout is a big problem, though that's not limited to Asian Americans of course. You'll find that pretty true in many other communities and frankly, it's fairly low overall across the USA.

By comparison, in Taiwan voter turnout is around 70% - it's a big circus and kinda crazy, but it's great to see people enthusiastic about casting their ballots.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:24 AM

7,005 posts, read 5,425,514 times
Quote:
The voter turnout rate in America is low across all ethnic groups.

Quote:
By comparison, in Taiwan voter turnout is around 70% - it's a big circus and kinda crazy, but it's great to see people enthusiastic about casting their ballots.
70% is not very high.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The voter turnout rate in America is low across all ethnic groups.

70% is not very high.
Compared with US electoral turnout, the Taiwanese voter turnout is fairly high, but it has been dropping in recent elections.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm speaking about the ones that actually vote.

I do agree that low Asian American voter turnout is a big problem, though that's not limited to Asian Americans of course. You'll find that pretty true in many other communities and frankly, it's fairly low overall across the USA.

The problem isn't necessarily the low voter turnout, but rather that polling companies are restricting opinion polling to confirmed voters (particularly around election time which is basically most of the time in the US), then presenting the view as the opinions of the entire group/ethnicity biased towards the left-wing.

I consider trickery such as this to be morally wrong and corrupt. I think this is the bias problem found in opinion polls covering affirmative action (East Asians) and Islamophobia (South Asians) where the polls seem to be unusually in favor of the left-wing - polls say that South Asian Americans are unusually exceptional.

It reminds me of the situation in South India. There wasn't a single media outlet reporting that something like 3/4 of Muslims voted, but something akin to a 1/3 of Hindus voted, meaning that the left-wing appeared to be more liked than it actually was in reality. Similarly, no-one reports on right-wing Hindu gays and women.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The problem isn't necessarily the low voter turnout, but rather that polling companies are restricting opinion polling to confirmed voters (particularly around election time which is basically most of the time in the US), then presenting the view as the opinions of the entire group/ethnicity biased towards the left-wing.

I consider trickery such as this to be morally wrong and corrupt. I think this is the bias problem found in opinion polls covering affirmative action (East Asians) and Islamophobia (South Asians) where the polls seem to be unusually in favor of the left-wing - polls say that South Asian Americans are unusually exceptional.

It reminds me of the situation in South India. There wasn't a single media outlet reporting that something like 3/4 of Muslims voted, but something akin to a 1/3 of Hindus voted, meaning that the left-wing appeared to be more liked than it actually was in reality. Similarly, no-one reports on right-wing Hindu gays and women.
Well, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and specifically, Silicon Valley, which has a very substantial South Asian community. Overwhelmingly, the South Asians in this area vote Democratic, which is actually not out of line with this area as a whole. Most of the South Asian politicians or people involved in politics here are Democratic and left-leaning (though there is a Sikh woman who is a high official of the state Republican party). It is what it is.

It depends on the region. Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal are politicians who are right wing, but they're from the American South and that might have something to do with that.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 1,722 times
Quote:
Well, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and specifically, Silicon Valley, which has a very substantial South Asian community. Overwhelmingly, the South Asians in this area vote Democratic, which is actually not out of line with this area as a whole. Most of the South Asian politicians or people involved in politics here are Democratic and left-leaning (though there is a Sikh woman who is a high official of the state Republican party). It is what it is.

It depends on the region. Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal are politicians who are right wing, but they're from the American South and that might have something to do with that.
This is what I find to be really odd. Indians are right-wing vote banks in Canada, Western Europe, and Oceania, with the right-wing being popular in Malaysia/Singapore, and furthermore the Hindu Nationalists in India are surging quite rapidly.

Why are Indian Americans so left-wing? The only other Indian groups in the West that vote left-wing are primarily concerned with immigration, we've even got right-wing homosexuals and transsexuals now in the Indian community.

Furthermore, Indians are widely associated with the far-right in Western Europe. They're seen as model minority groups and courted due to the severity of tension between Hindus and Muslims - we're taking about second third... generation Indians here.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odfnigngfr View Post
This is what I find to be really odd. Indians are right-wing vote banks in Canada, Western Europe, and Oceania, with the right-wing being popular in Malaysia/Singapore, and furthermore the Hindu Nationalists in India are surging quite rapidly.

Why are Indian Americans so left-wing? The only other Indian groups in the West that vote left-wing are primarily concerned with immigration, we've even got right-wing homosexuals and transsexuals now in the Indian community.

Furthermore, Indians are widely associated with the far-right in Western Europe. They're seen as model minority groups and courted due to the severity of tension between Hindus and Muslims - we're taking about second third... generation Indians here.
Maybe that tells you - you can't make assumptions about groups or communities based on stereotypes. And all politics are local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or