U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 AM
 
63 posts, read 25,513 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Is it really progressive to base you're entire political viewpoints on the party that supports immigration the most? Even in progressive countries like Canada the idea that immigrants hold sway over locally born and forcibly assimilated types is considered very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM
 
12,273 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19098
I had to go back about 3 pages to get anything relevant to the OPs topic, why are we discussing immigration and Canada? No wonder some responding are "no longer members".

American politics don't translate well into Asian politics, which is why we should take politics out of it and consider this a social question. Conservatism is, at it's core, traditionalism. Liberalism is more focused on equality and individual freedoms. Note that this part, particularly individual freedom, is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the American political concept where it is the conservative party that focuses on individual freedoms while the liberal party is focused on collective freedoms.

So of course in Asia you still have countries that are still embracing democracy, it's still new to them (post world war 2 liberation), or are still working under a government with strict control (i.e. PRC), even if benevolent (i.e. Singapore), or still adhering to cultural and religious influences (i.e Japan with it's disciplined culture). They are going to be conservative - collective rather than individual, relying on government, depending on a higher authority.

But please don't make the mistake of comparing it to western politics in any way, shape, or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 PM
 
63 posts, read 25,513 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I had to go back about 3 pages to get anything relevant to the OPs topic, why are we discussing immigration and Canada? No wonder some responding are "no longer members".
More aptly, we're discussing the political leanings of the Indian community, who are mostly right-leaning currently throughout the western world and eastern world - except of the Untied States according to opinion polls (or at least certain parts of the US).

The trouble with this is that the Indian community is divided along ethnic lines; you've got gay/female/transsgener etc... on the right-wing too.

Anyway, discussion about localized politics overlooks how much influence Hollywood has on the political viewpoints and concerns of non-Americans. Hollywood was by-far the strongest supporters of the migrants during the crisis and is still a major lobby force for Muslims.

Quote:

American politics don't translate well into Asian politics, which is why we should take politics out of it and consider this a social question. Conservatism is, at it's core, traditionalism. Liberalism is more focused on equality and individual freedoms. Note that this part, particularly individual freedom, is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the American political concept where it is the conservative party that focuses on individual freedoms while the liberal party is focused on collective freedoms.

So of course in Asia you still have countries that are still embracing democracy, it's still new to them (post world war 2 liberation), or are still working under a government with strict control (i.e. PRC), even if benevolent (i.e. Singapore), or still adhering to cultural and religious influences (i.e Japan with it's disciplined culture). They are going to be conservative - collective rather than individual, relying on government, depending on a higher authority.

But please don't make the mistake of comparing it to western politics in any way, shape, or form.
China's left-wing has historically been against religious freedoms and individual freedoms - you can see this with how Taiwanese politics works if you're looking for a more potent example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 PM
 
1,505 posts, read 522,496 times
Reputation: 1129
As an East Asian myself (Chinese), I'll have to answer yes and no to this question.

Yes, we are in fact personally opposed to gay marriage, abortion, etc. And we tend to be against affirmative action more than other races. But we in general don't mind if someone we don't know is doing any of the above. The general mentality is, don't want abortion/marijuana/etc? Then don't do it yourself. Asians are much more each-man-to-his-own than white religious conservatives.

Also, don't forget also that places like Japan, South Korea, etc. have very strict gun laws, anti-global warming laws, and progressive healthcare. Asians who come here really appreciate that about their home country and think the US should be more like that. Plus, Asians are more likely to be atheist than any other race. Then you have Muslim South Asians who are certainly no fan of GOP immigration laws/religious right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,611,493 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As an East Asian myself (Chinese), I'll have to answer yes and no to this question.

Yes, we are in fact personally opposed to gay marriage, abortion, etc. And we tend to be against affirmative action more than other races. But we in general don't mind if someone we don't know is doing any of the above. The general mentality is, don't want abortion/marijuana/etc? Then don't do it yourself. Asians are much more each-man-to-his-own than white religious conservatives.

Also, don't forget also that places like Japan, South Korea, etc. have very strict gun laws, anti-global warming laws, and progressive healthcare. Asians who come here really appreciate that about their home country and think the US should be more like that. Plus, Asians are more likely to be atheist than any other race. Then you have Muslim South Asians who are certainly no fan of GOP immigration laws/religious right.
Uh, you don't speak for me, and I am also Chinese in ethnicity.

I support pretty much the opposite of what you've opposed.

And contrary to popular belief, many Asian (Americans) actually support affirmative action policies. Some do actually benefit from them.

Point is, it's pretty difficult to generalize about Asian American political leanings by trying to extrapolate what cultural sentiments are prevailing in the home country. It's different by generation, and it may no longer be an influence particularly with successive generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 PM
 
63 posts, read 25,513 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As an East Asian myself (Chinese), I'll have to answer yes and no to this question.

Yes, we are in fact personally opposed to gay marriage, abortion, etc. And we tend to be against affirmative action more than other races. But we in general don't mind if someone we don't know is doing any of the above. The general mentality is, don't want abortion/marijuana/etc? Then don't do it yourself. Asians are much more each-man-to-his-own than white religious conservatives.

Also, don't forget also that places like Japan, South Korea, etc. have very strict gun laws, anti-global warming laws, and progressive healthcare. Asians who come here really appreciate that about their home country and think the US should be more like that. Plus, Asians are more likely to be atheist than any other race. Then you have Muslim South Asians who are certainly no fan of GOP immigration laws/religious right.
In terms of South Asians, aborition and gay marraige are two very different debates. The former is more scientific whereas the latter is more cultural (let's face it that eastern religions have concepts of gay marriage since antiquity).

Marijuana is also widely acceptable in South Asia as it's considered almost religious. It's widespread use can be viewed in the same light as wine in Christianity/Europe.

Anyway, the progressive socially liberal middle class of Hindu India are right-leaning centrists who sympathise with Hindu Nationalism. Remember that the left-wing is obsessed with secularism and religious politics, historically being in cahoots with a Christian dominated establishment hungover from colonialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
 
12,273 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthal_Ganesan View Post
More aptly, we're discussing the political leanings of the Indian community, who are mostly right-leaning currently throughout the western world and eastern world - except of the Untied States according to opinion polls (or at least certain parts of the US).

The trouble with this is that the Indian community is divided along ethnic lines; you've got gay/female/transsgener etc... on the right-wing too.

Anyway, discussion about localized politics overlooks how much influence Hollywood has on the political viewpoints and concerns of non-Americans. Hollywood was by-far the strongest supporters of the migrants during the crisis and is still a major lobby force for Muslims.
That's fine, but the topic is about East Asia not India or Hollywood, or Canada, or the Indian community. East Asia I associate with China, Japan, Korea, not sure if the OP means to include S.E. Asia. Not a big deal as the OP seems to have left and it's an old thread, but I'm just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthal_Ganesan View Post
China's left-wing has historically been against religious freedoms and individual freedoms - you can see this with how Taiwanese politics works if you're looking for a more potent example
And that's a good example on how "left wing" as a political concept, and liberalism, are not the same thing. Certainly communism is about as left wing as you can get and certainly does the opposite of promoting individual or religious freedom unless you consider 'the party" as the state religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Reputation: 3257
Asians here in Canada seem to utterly love Trump for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM
 
6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Asians here in Canada seem to utterly love Trump for some reason.
Nowadays many Asians feel they are victims of AA (benefiting non-Asian minorities for the most part) and welfare programs. Also, Asians tend to have conservative social values compared liberal whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 PM
 
63 posts, read 25,513 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Nowadays many Asians feel they are victims of AA (benefiting non-Asian minorities for the most part) and welfare programs. Also, Asians tend to have conservative social values compared liberal whites.
Something that's been widely overlooked by the entire media spectrum is the affirmative action being provided to Muslims in Canada, Australia and Western Europe. It's often overlooked that these communities are not only socioeconomically backwards but also perceived as being the victims of Islamophobia.

India also provides affirmative action for Muslims albeit the economic divide between Hindus and Muslims still remains strong, but of course this overlooks that Christians are one of the richest communities and that a large population of lower class Hindus on par with Muslims also exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top