U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times

Advertisements

I tested liberals and conservatives with measures of East-West cultural thought style and perception. I found that conservatives in the US thought more like East Asians, and liberals thought like extreme Westerners. The same was even true in China.

https://thomastalhelm.weebly.com/research.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,440,506 times
Interesting but the study was only of 3,000 people so not really a good sampling to get a true reading and I am not sure how that equals weird, although I feel liberals think weird.
Liberals Think More Analytically (More 'Weird') than Conservatives
an∑a∑lyt∑i∑cal∑ly = using analysis or logical reasoning. https://tinyurl.com/ycgofrg9

Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,104,293 times
conservatives are more like the taliban. The only difference is they condone polygamy unless they are Mormon and they eat pork.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
conservatives are more like the taliban. The only difference is they condone polygamy unless they are Mormon and they eat pork.
LOL. I needed that...

Old 03-15-2018, 01:30 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times
The conservative vs liberal division does not fit East Asian society.

For example, most East Asians are against a welfare state, but they are also highly secular or atheist. East Asians don't care about homosexuality in general, but they won't allow their children to be involved.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:54 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I found that conservatives in the US thought more like East Asians, and liberals thought like extreme Westerners.

I don't think you need a study to show that East Asians are conservative. Societies without proper democratic traditions will be conservative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For example, most East Asians are against a welfare state, but they are also highly secular or atheist. East Asians don't care about homosexuality in general, but they won't allow their children to be involved.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:08 AM

298 posts, read 188,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I don't think you need a study to show that East Asians are conservative. Societies without proper democratic traditions will be conservative.

East Asia is China, Korea and Japan. South Korea and Japan are both democracies.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 AM

78,792 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I tested liberals and conservatives with measures of East-West cultural thought style and perception. I found that conservatives in the US thought more like East Asians, and liberals thought like extreme Westerners. The same was even true in China.

https://thomastalhelm.weebly.com/research.html
Conservatives thought like East Asians? Really? US conservatives feel the US should get its military bases out of Japan? Are you sure you know how East Asians think? Somehow, I doubt it's so neat and tidy as your study describes.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,653,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Interesting but the study was only of 3,000 people so not really a good sampling to get a true reading and I am not sure how that equals weird, although I feel liberals think weird.
So do I. But the OP's study (I can't tell if the OP himself conducted this study or if he is linking to someone else's work) was using the term as an acronym: Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic.

Maybe the study goes into this (it wasn't in the linked abstract), but how are the terms "liberal" and "conservative" being defined? Politically? Socially? Economically? Some other way?

Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,643,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
So do I. But the OP's study (I can't tell if the OP himself conducted this study or if he is linking to someone else's work) was using the term as an acronym: Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic.

Maybe the study goes into this (it wasn't in the linked abstract), but how are the terms "liberal" and "conservative" being defined? Politically? Socially? Economically? Some other way?
I almost replied to his thread yesterday, but the more I thought about it, the more the study didnít make sense to me.

As someone married to a Chinese woman and that has lived in China and travelled around a lot, I see very few parallels between American conservatives and Chinese. Comparing all of East Asia simply seems absurd to me, itís such a massive and diverse region.

American conservative thought often has a basis in Christianity or liberty, neither of which are at all prominent in East Asia. Individualism and religion are not important to most Asians. As long as we are stereotyping 1.5 billion people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or