U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tokyo vs. Hong Kong?
Hong Kong 2 18.18%
Tokyo 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM

27 posts, read 24,786 times

Advertisements

Which city is better overall in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:06 PM

1,789 posts, read 903,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_denoah View Post
Which city is better overall in your opinion?
Tokyo. By roughly a KiloParsec (3.261,6 light years).

I was very disappointed by HK. It's actually... bad IMO. It's diry, horribly expensive to a point hard to conceive.
Sure airports and metros are stunning; but, lol, that's all.
I traveled in HK and in Asia, it was my biggest disappointment. Bland, expensive, polluted, dirty, full of western people in the bar district...
Tokyo is marvellous. Just marvellous.

Beside, in HK they drive on the left, overkill

Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
I love both cities. But its apples and oranges.

I've also lived right next to both cities, so I've had a chance to spend a lot of time in both. Yep, apples and oranges.]

Neither is better...both are great. If you want some detail...

Tokyo...I like the Japanese culture and people a lot. I just respect their way of doing things, their professionalism, etc. It's just a fascinating city, by all measurements.

Hong Kong...I think its the geography I like best. You have tons of islands and mountains yet a ton of urban city amenities. Some great views going across the Harbor of Star Ferry, or going up to the Peak and overlooking the city.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Hong Kong's monthly rent is more than double than that of Tokyo and the salary is similar. To say less about property prices (5 times more expensive in HK than in Tokyo). You do the math.

Hong Kong is a nightmare. Tokyo wins in every possible department by a landslide.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 AM

102 posts, read 48,416 times
I know a lot about both the pros and cons of Hong Kong.

I am a HK Chinese.

Many HK people have also been to Japan and know something about Japanese economy and culture.

I know Tokyo is also great but still prefer HK. I think most people from HK think the same

People not needing to pay for housing will find HK cheaper than Tokyo. Food are cheaper. Taking the subway is cheaper.

Tokyo has a very high density of people compared with Hong Kong. There are also many people going to the city center daily from nearby prefectures.

About the costs of living. If you are rich, the expensive costs of living in HK is not really important. HK is more suitable for the foreigners with high income. Without high income, it is better to live elsewhere. And foreigners are not expected to be integrated and can keep their own cultures in both cities.

Yes it is more dirty than Japanese cities, not having the same very high cleanliness as the Japanese.
It is not more expensive than large cities in Japan, the UK, Canada, the US and Australia. Actually cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Tokyo. By roughly a KiloParsec (3.261,6 light years).
I was very disappointed by HK. It's actually... bad IMO. It's diry, horribly expensive to a point hard to conceive.
Sure airports and metros are stunning; but, lol, that's all.
I traveled in HK and in Asia, it was my biggest disappointment. Bland, expensive, polluted, dirty, full of western people in the bar district...
Tokyo is marvellous. Just marvellous.

Beside, in HK they drive on the left, overkill

Last edited by HSrights; 03-20-2018 at 01:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 03:39 AM

1,001 posts, read 452,787 times
It's not even close, and I say this as someone who really likes Hong Kong. There's not another city in Asia that even compares to Tokyo, and possibly not even another in the world. Perhaps before HK reunified with China it would have been a closer competition, but even then I'd have given the edge to Tokyo pretty easily.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 1,389,802 times
Tokyo is addicting. Like, it's crack for me to be able to rave hop in Shibuya for 10 days straight. Even through a muscle strained wrist from falling in the Womb and getting really really sick, that was probably the best time of my life. My friend hallucinated on Melatonin. I don't even know how that was possible since I've been taking the same bottle for a year lol. Throw in the doujin events at TRC and Tokyo Big Sight, and hoo boy.

The high class nightlife is pretty great too, but I like being cheap. 700 yen nomihodai is quite amazing, and Blue Moon Walk's 200 yen drinks are great when you just want to chill. Just like in NYC, I'm a dive bar junkie.

Hong Kong... the food's nice, Cathay Pacific is great. HK wasn't too memorable for me. I have some great friends from there though.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:17 PM

22,121 posts, read 23,642,005 times
I also really like Hong Kong, but it's Tokyo pretty much all the way for me.

Also, I'd take Osaka over both.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
I am Chinese and prefer Hong Kong. I am more familiar with it, more comfortable and have family and friends there.

But I can easily see how Tokyo is the more magnificent place. It is absolutely insane and has everything you can possibly imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or