U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 PM

361 posts, read 227,258 times

Advertisements

I am going to re-visit my girlfriend living in the Philippines.

However, due to my work condition, and also my plans/timeline on purchasing a new home, I'm planning on visiting my girlfriend in the Philippines towards the end of June.

I have heard (even from my GF) that it is monsoon/rainy season in the Philippines during the summer time.

Is this true for the entire region of the Philippines? Or does the rainy/monsoon season only affect certain parts of the Philippines?

I was hoping to do some outdoor hiking activities with my GF during my visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 11:42 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,435,190 times
The dry season starts in late November and ends in May. The rainy seasons starts in June and lasts until October. September and October are often the typhoon season in the Philippines.

I have been in Mindanao and Cebu during those months and there was way too much rain and mud to be able to hike, hope you get better weather and hope the area you visit is not inundated with rain like it was the time we were here during those months. I am in Cebu right now, weather is beautiful, we visit from February to mid May and then head back to the U.S. just as the rains start coming most years.
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...he_Philippines
The summer monsoon brings heavy rains to most of the archipelago from May to October. Annual average rainfall ranges from as much as 5,000 millimetres (197 in) in the mountainous east coast section of the country, to less than 1,000 millimetres (39 in) in some of the sheltered valleys. Monsoon rains, although hard and drenching, are not normally associated with high winds and waves.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:02 AM

624 posts, read 384,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I am going to re-visit my girlfriend living in the Philippines.

However, due to my work condition, and also my plans/timeline on purchasing a new home, I'm planning on visiting my girlfriend in the Philippines towards the end of June.

I have heard (even from my GF) that it is monsoon/rainy season in the Philippines during the summer time.

Is this true for the entire region of the Philippines? Or does the rainy/monsoon season only affect certain parts of the Philippines?

I was hoping to do some outdoor hiking activities with my GF during my visit.
It all depends on where in the Philippines you are going. If you are going to Mindanao it always rains there and there is really no difference in the seasons. But if your going to the Visaya or Luzon regions then there is a very big difference between the two. It doesn't rain all the time but it does rain significantly.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
The dry season starts in late November and ends in May. The rainy seasons starts in June and lasts until October. September and October are often the typhoon season in the Philippines.

I have been in Mindanao and Cebu during those months and there was way too much rain and mud to be able to hike, hope you get better weather and hope the area you visit is not inundated with rain like it was the time we were here during those months. I am in Cebu right now, weather is beautiful, we visit from February to mid May and then head back to the U.S. just as the rains start coming most years.
Which part of Mindanao if you don't mind me asking? If it's around CDO then yes I can see that but if your talking Davao or GenSan then you have to know that it just rains all the time and there is no real difference between the seasons.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,435,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Which part of Mindanao if you don't mind me asking? If it's around CDO then yes I can see that but if your talking Davao or GenSan then you have to know that it just rains all the time and there is no real difference between the seasons.
CDO to Bukidnon around Overview and everything in between but the rains are worse during the time he plans to visit.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 AM

That's what I know of as well but alittle further south it just rains all the time regardless.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 PM

4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
It's hit and miss. The rainy season is about twice as wet as the non-rainy season. Even while a typhoon is in progress, it just rains (hard but briefly) a coupled times a day. This is the dry season, and it's rained three of the last four days, usually at night.

Last year I was in Zamboanga (Mindanao) for a typhoon week. Schools were closed, ferries were not running, there was video on TV news of landslides. But we went about our business in the city without any inconvenience, and never got wet once, didn't even notice the weather except for an occasional downpour. One day there was steady rain all day, but it was the kind you can walk around in.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
It all depends on where in the Philippines you are going. If you are going to Mindanao it always rains there and there is really no difference in the seasons. But if your going to the Visaya or Luzon regions then there is a very big difference between the two. It doesn't rain all the time but it does rain significantly.

I will be going to the northern parts of the Philippines in the Illocos Sur province area.

My girlfriend told me to be prepared for rainy season during the summer time. So that got me worried, because the only time I can visit her in the coming months is towards the end of June.

I was hoping to do some outdoor hiking activities with her. But bummers.....looks like my outdoor plans with her will have to be cancelled.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It's hit and miss. The rainy season is about twice as wet as the non-rainy season. Even while a typhoon is in progress, it just rains (hard but briefly) a coupled times a day. This is the dry season, and it's rained three of the last four days, usually at night.

Last year I was in Zamboanga (Mindanao) for a typhoon week. Schools were closed, ferries were not running, there was video on TV news of landslides. But we went about our business in the city without any inconvenience, and never got wet once, didn't even notice the weather except for an occasional downpour. One day there was steady rain all day, but it was the kind you can walk around in.
@ Cebuano. Good info.

However, seems like a lot of you guys who responded to my thread tend to visit the Davao/Mindanao, Cebu, or Visayan area. Basically the southern parts of the Philippines

I am not going down there. Although I wanted to catch a short plane ride with my girlfriend either to Puerto Princessa or to Cebu to enjoy the beaches there. But with the rainy season...eh...forget about the beaches.

I will be arriving at NAIA again, and then GF's dad will drive us all the way up to Illocos Sur. So this is the northern part of the Philippines.

I guess not too many tourists visit the Illocos area as opposed to the Cebu, Boracay Island, Mindanao/Davao southern regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia