Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Another Cebu-fanatic who loves dipping Manila down. Fyi, I am a full-pledged Visayan and both Cebu and Manila has its own merits and I like both. No need to drag Manila down just because you like Cebu, it is light years more modern than Cebu but Cebu is sure catching up. Crab mentalility duh.

Anyway sorry guys for spoiling that out here. Jakarta seems to be interesting though.
By way of explanation, I spent several days in Manila previously, before I ever saw Cebu. My impression of it was to put it in the class with Cairo and Guatemala City -- i.e., at the bottom. But i knew, coming to the Philippines, that I would not be in metro Manila. If Cebu ever "catches up" with Manila, I won't like it here, either.

I suppose, if I went to Jakarta, I would find it more similar to Manila than to Cebu, which is not something I would look forward to. I donb't "love" dragging Manila down, and I wish I didn't have to, but I call it as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,605 times
Only 2 things: The busway, and the commuter line. The former gets me almost everywhere in the city cheaply, and the latter reminds me of the time I spent in Japan. When I take the commuter line outside busy hours, I can imagine myself back in that country again. I heard the trains were imported from Japan, so.

My impression on Jakarta? before I moved to Jakarta : hell big, hot and scary; too many vehicles, too many people, too wide of streets, too tall of buildings, too much pollution (air and sound). I thought, fu*k, I don’t want to live or work in this kind of city!

But you know, most job opportunities are in Jakarta, so as much as I don’t want to move here, I got a job here, so whether I like it or not, I have to move here.

So my impression after I moved here? The first two to three weeks: GOOOOOOOOOOOOSH IT’S TOO HOOOOOOOT!!! GOOOOOSH! THE SMEEEEEEEEEEEELLL!! GOOOOOOOOOOSH THE NOOOOOOISEEEE! GOOOOOOOOOSH THE LIVING COOOOOOOOOOOST!

After 2 months : I love the busway, I love the commuter line.

My favorite place? Anywhere that has air conditioners. Malls (though I rarely shop there), in busways, in the commuter line, at my office, indomaret and friends, and last but not least: the atm chambers.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 AM

1,002 posts, read 908,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyToken View Post
Only 2 things: The busway, and the commuter line. The former gets me almost everywhere in the city cheaply, and the latter reminds me of the time I spent in Japan. When I take the commuter line outside busy hours, I can imagine myself back in that country again. I heard the trains were imported from Japan, so.

My impression on Jakarta? before I moved to Jakarta : hell big, hot and scary; too many vehicles, too many people, too wide of streets, too tall of buildings, too much pollution (air and sound). I thought, fu*k, I don’t want to live or work in this kind of city!

But you know, most job opportunities are in Jakarta, so as much as I don’t want to move here, I got a job here, so whether I like it or not, I have to move here.

So my impression after I moved here? The first two to three weeks: GOOOOOOOOOOOOSH IT’S TOO HOOOOOOOT!!! GOOOOOSH! THE SMEEEEEEEEEEEELLL!! GOOOOOOOOOOSH THE NOOOOOOISEEEE! GOOOOOOOOOSH THE LIVING COOOOOOOOOOOST!

After 2 months : I love the busway, I love the commuter line.

My favorite place? Anywhere that has air conditioners. Malls (though I rarely shop there), in busways, in the commuter line, at my office, indomaret and friends, and last but not least: the atm chambers.
Lol Your comment is lenght,you not go the road to the area "SCBD Jakarta" or to "central park and Neo soho jakarta " and enjoy the crowded atmosphere there, I agree when you first arrive in Jakarta maybe you stress but one day or the next day you really enjoy

Old 05-05-2018, 08:35 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
garuda

Old 05-05-2018, 05:27 PM

732 posts, read 781,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
By way of explanation, I spent several days in Manila previously, before I ever saw Cebu. My impression of it was to put it in the class with Cairo and Guatemala City -- i.e., at the bottom. But i knew, coming to the Philippines, that I would not be in metro Manila. If Cebu ever "catches up" with Manila, I won't like it here, either.

I suppose, if I went to Jakarta, I would find it more similar to Manila than to Cebu, which is not something I would look forward to. I donb't "love" dragging Manila down, and I wish I didn't have to, but I call it as it is.
Oh how many days is that several? I'm sure you are quite unfamiliar of it anyway. I don't expect too much. If you had liked it in Cebu, I'm sure you would have liked it too there if only. After all its almost the same. Yes Cebu may have lesser extent of problems but also lesser opportunity to see the most modern and most developed parts of the Phils. Being in just a very small part of Manila wont give you the true picture of the whole metro let alone being just confined in a hotel area in an old rundown part of it. I certainly do think you need more travels. Sorry again for butting in this thread. My last comment about that. Bye!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Oh how many days is that several? I'm sure you are quite unfamiliar of it anyway. I don't expect too much. If you had liked it in Cebu, I'm sure you would have liked it too there if only. After all its almost the same. Yes Cebu may have lesser extent of problems but also lesser opportunity to see the most modern and most developed parts of the Phils. Being in just a very small part of Manila wont give you the true picture of the whole metro let alone being just confined in a hotel area in an old rundown part of it. I certainly do think you need more travels. Sorry again for butting in this thread. My last comment about that. Bye!
If I wanted to see the most modern and most developed parts of the Phils, I would have stayed in Houston. I don't have time to spend a month or two in each of a hundred cities to see what they are really like. I've been to SM Seaside Mall, so I guess I've at least seen the most modern and developed part of Cebu.

Maybe you're right about me needing to do more travels. I've only been to 150 countries. This Christmas I plan to go to Papua New Guinea. Maybe that will help.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:01 PM

1,117 posts, read 843,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If I wanted to see the most modern and most developed parts of the Phils, I would have stayed in Houston. I don't have time to spend a month or two in each of a hundred cities to see what they are really like. I've been to SM Seaside Mall, so I guess I've at least seen the most modern and developed part of Cebu.

Maybe you're right about me needing to do more travels. I've only been to 150 countries. This Christmas I plan to go to Papua New Guinea. Maybe that will help.
I used to live in Houston and honestly, BGC and Makati are even better than Houston. BGC is better than most cities in the US, even for how small it is.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:50 PM

732 posts, read 781,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I used to live in Houston and honestly, BGC and Makati are even better than Houston. BGC is better than most cities in the US, even for how small it is.
Don't tell him that, it might freak them out that there's such a place in the Philippines more modern and hi-tech than cities in their country of birth. All they know is the slums shhhh. We can probably add Alabang and Eastwood districts.

Sorry for breaking the promise. Maybe I can create a thread about that to not spoil this one.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 908,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Food's good; the port area was interesting.
yess Jakarta is food's good , have you tried eat bakso ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QF4NFpJCsw

Old 06-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Without any familiar parallels that far into massive scale. Constructive cranes go wide. Accumulating what you see on the computer screen. Business stores rising up fast. Astronomical emerging to develop growth. Rare to have such a bright outlook lately. And even New York City isn’t reaching the amount of people that live in Jakarta.

Last edited by ; 06-09-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia