U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times

Advertisements

I see the parallels between Japan and Germany. Cultures are surprisingly similar while being very different. Industrial powerhouses, both of which are switching to other industries, but still with strong automotive and high tech industries. Both are known for their punctuality, professionalism, discipline, respect, and good manners. Neither are known for being friendly, but most actuality are, they are just reserved.

The actual countries, excluding the people, I’d vote for the British Isles. A lot of similarities between the island of Japan and Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Lou

262 posts, read 109,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The actual countries, excluding the people, I’d vote for the British Isles. A lot of similarities between the island of Japan and Britain.
A few of the people I knew in Japan believed that being an island nation accounted for some of their culture, and they thought Britain was another example of the island-nation phenomenon.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 9,209 times
China is not like Russia in any way. Most similar is France or Italy.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:24 PM

116 posts, read 63,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
Elaborate.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 PM

2,788 posts, read 1,631,167 times
Poland

Old 04-25-2018, 08:09 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,094,486 times
the japanese are like the british of asia.

smart, highly agressive, crave natural resources, constitutional monarchy, and went about empire building. Both are island nations. The japanese tried to emulate the british. That is why they drive on the left side of the road like the british. That is also why they grew their navy like the british. They also both drink tea.

Japan used germany for scientific and engineering knowledge.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 PM

15 posts, read 9,209 times
Interesting. Why Poland? Cause I am Polish.
Of course China is most similar to France/Italy. Rude people, rich culture, most land, artistic nations, long history. Many people thinks in that way. China is not like agressive and alcoholic Russia. Besides, personally I like China and hate Russia.
Korea I would say is definetly most similar to Poland and Italy. Thailand to Spain.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 AM

410 posts, read 183,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
To be honest, I really can't see what makes Russia more or less similar to China than France or Italy. Asians and Europeans are both human beings. Other than that, Asia is another planet compared to any European country

Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
A few of the people I knew in Japan believed that being an island nation accounted for some of their culture, and they thought Britain was another example of the island-nation phenomenon.
Sure, islanders will always some similarities. Their lives historically were very dependent on the seas and trade. Both cultures eat a lot of seafood, but what they do with that seafood is completely different. Japan didnít really have huge trade ambitions like Great Britain either, they did trade, but itís not something they were famous for. The Japanese Empire may have some parallels to the British Empire, but Iíd argue it was more similar to the German Empire in most ways.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM

1,001 posts, read 452,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Japan didnít really have huge trade ambitions like Great Britain either,
I would argue that both were far more interested in stealing than they were in trading. Once they were forced to stop plundering, Japan actually became quite ambitious--and good-- at trading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or