U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 AM

298 posts, read 188,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
the japanese are like the british of asia.

smart, highly agressive, crave natural resources, constitutional monarchy, and went about empire building. Both are island nations. The japanese tried to emulate the british. That is why they drive on the left side of the road like the british. That is also why they grew their navy like the british. They also both drink tea.

Japan used germany for scientific and engineering knowledge.
they brought in an actual british guy to consult when they were constructing their roads. one big difference though is the british acknowledge their continental origins - germanic, celtic, nordic, etc. - but the way japanese history is written you’d think they spontaneously apperared on japan and happened to look asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM

15 posts, read 9,198 times
Germany is most similar to Japan In terms of work and history, but which is most similar in terms of social behavior? Scandinavia or UK?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:31 PM

116 posts, read 63,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
Germany is most similar to Japan In terms of work and history, but which is most similar in terms of social behavior? Scandinavia or UK?
I'd say the UK. Both are 'polite' societies with lots of rules and a hidden caste system.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:48 AM

298 posts, read 188,149 times
this is a pet subject for a lot of people. I even saw a Spanish website about how similar Spain and Japan are. my friend who’s half-swedish and has lived in Sweden and speaks the language once said to me Scandinavia and Japan are a lot alike. people are fascinated and in awe with Japan and I think they like to make some sort of association with it and other successful countries.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:38 PM

276 posts, read 204,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
the japanese are like the british of asia.

smart, highly agressive, crave natural resources, constitutional monarchy, and went about empire building. Both are island nations. The japanese tried to emulate the british. That is why they drive on the left side of the road like the british. That is also why they grew their navy like the british. They also both drink tea.

Japan used germany for scientific and engineering knowledge.
Err, no? the Japanese drive on the left side of the road because they awarded the first train contracts to be built by the British. Had the French or Americans won, they would have driven on the right hand side.

Japan based their law as well on the German system.

Japan truly basis themselves on whoever is the best in that era, first it was the Chinese, then the Europeans (mainly Germany and Britain) and now the USA.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:32 PM

1,504 posts, read 521,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Based on the handful of German and Japanese people that I've known, I'd say that they both place a very high importance on punctuality.

I've heard that the Swiss are like this too, though I've never known anyone from Switzerland. I once heard this little story: a tourist is riding on a Swiss train and is amazed at how punctual it is, so he compliments the conductor. But the conductor replies, "Actually, we're running 15 seconds late. But don't worry, we'll make it up."
Japan would certainly be like Germany. They are both very patriotic and nationalistic, promoting collective brotherhood over individualism. Industrial precision, cleanliness, punctuality, etc.

Switzerland is very efficient too and also patriotic but it is more of a multi-ethnic unity. Nonetheless, it is perhaps even richer, safer, and cleaner than Germany. But Switzerland's got a different kind of efficiency, kind of like Singapore.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM

1,151 posts, read 949,862 times
This is a fun discussion topic, but I think people are trying too hard to say A is like B, and not C.

Its also fun to discuss differences. A Japanese friend once told me something like this: "If a Japanese person treats you like a friend, you can never really know if it is sincere. If a Chinese person tells you they are your friend, it will be true." (The fact that he told me this indicated to me that he was a friend :-)

Now ... I think that is an extreme generalization, but I think it does point out an aspect of Japanese culture that is particularly strong: that of having a set of rules that dictate how one speaks and acts towards other people, based on their perceived status. All cultures have that to some extent, since underneath it all, we are all human beings. However, I think it reflects an aspect of feudal Japan that has persevered longer than in other post-feudal cultures.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:23 AM

1,001 posts, read 452,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
they brought in an actual british guy to consult when they were constructing their roads. one big difference though is the british acknowledge their continental origins - germanic, celtic, nordic, etc. - but the way japanese history is written you’d think they spontaneously apperared on japan and happened to look asian.
While acknowledging that no group of humans has ever "spontaneously appeared" anywhere, I have to wonder what exactly you would expect people native to a country of Asia to look like if not Asian?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Now ... I think that is an extreme generalization, but I think it does point out an aspect of Japanese culture that is particularly strong: that of having a set of rules that dictate how one speaks and acts towards other people, based on their perceived status. All cultures have that to some extent, since underneath it all, we are all human beings. However, I think it reflects an aspect of feudal Japan that has persevered longer than in other post-feudal cultures.
That's probably stemming from Confucianism - about where one is in an hierarchy. Korea also has very elaborate rules for how to address someone based on status (such as age, seniority, gender, etc.).

Old 06-05-2019, 10:33 AM

131 posts, read 8,694 times
Germany has become a country with a high English fluency.
Switzerland and Scandinavia too.

They are very integrated in Europe.

Japan is not having high English fluency. Japan is not integrated with other Asian countries .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
Hello guys. Maybe its a wrong place but I really didn't know where to ask.
I would like to ask you which countries in Europe are most similar to Japan and I found and know only this:

• Germany - In terms of love to law, rules, discipline and work. Reserved. Not so flexible but serious. They were a cruel nations during war in own's region.

• France - Similar cuisine with fresh fishes, the sense and fascination with fashion, being liberal society with manners, introvertism (or maybe am I wrong?), quite similar weather, TGV and Shinkansen. The most beautiful languages on these regions. Both nations are using cheques and likes to read commics. Don't know od it is true but I find French also...nerdish and hipsters?

• Swizterland - Richness and nature/landscapes

• Poland or every Slavic nation - Both are monocultural nations with very strong feel to tradition and right-wing politics. Both are very neurotic and serious with life. "Communist mentality".

• United Kingdom - Manners, left run, both are isolated islands from continent, love to chateaus, introvertism (?)

• Scandinavia - Political similarities on social level, egalitarianism, equality, "communist mentality", very rich, queit places with harmonious society, I think. Very reserved which I like it.

Give your own examples od if you ever been to all of those European countries could you like to agree with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or