U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,420,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Not at all, we are much more of a curiosity then anything. The older Japanese are not overtly friendly and honestly I think they are just old and don't like change from whichever angle (which includes young Japanese!) The younger Japanese 50 and under are much more international thinking then most give them credit for. Remember they are not xenophobic by choice, it was geographic and political that Westerners didn't come to Japan (in any real numbers) until mid 20th century. They embrace the west much more then the perception in the west gives one to believe.

You would be amazed after you scratch the surface how kind they can be if you give in return that same respect and kindness. People do experience different results however.

I only know Japanese from their movies,news, and tv shows. That's cool about their kindness, though I do notice a lot of older Japanese are becoming giants in the physics field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i know this may seem a shock or a strange thing to say (because it's not current social mentality to even notice and honestly assess but to spout off what is currently believed to be true like current "thought fads" or social mob "truths") but it's americans who honestly seem to hate outsiders and they don't get labeled such. they don't care for or are respectful or interested in anything remotely outside of american. also, they are condescending and rude. yes, they give off that vibe. the ones that aren't are not the majority.

let's see. just today i stopped in at a store and some old white guy ignores me (probably a racist) when asked a question, lady behind counter acts strange and exaggerative, patronizingly rude, and african-americans giving dirty and xenophobic looks(also white americans too). this is everyday america.
I thought we were talking about Japan? I know how the north east United States is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,430,478 times
How can you compare them? They are very different, and I would love to visit both, but probably not live in either.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I have a question to those that have lived, not visited, Japan. Don't Japanese hate all outsiders? There movies, cartoons, and the way they speak to others give off that vibe.
I'm white American guy in Japan...never felt that.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 AM

700 posts, read 2,334,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm white American guy in Japan...never felt that.
I agree with Tiger, I have been here 3 years and have never felt "hate" per se.
The old crusty people stare at me on the train with daggers for eyes, but honestly after observation they stare at everyone with those Manson lamps.
No different then the states and the grumpy men.

Honestly the younger crowd enjoys many of the same things we do.

The vibe you give is the vibe you get for sure.

You should come for a visit!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,126,582 times
Never been to Japan, but I do know that it's public transportation is much better, and their crime rates are muuuuch lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
California has a Mediterranean climate in the southern part, and a marine climate in the northern.
You 're wrong about this. California's mediterranean zone extends up the coast and includes the Bay Area, in Northern California.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,859,895 times
San Francisco is similar to some cities in Japan.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM

3,680 posts, read 8,849,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How can you compare them? They are very different, and I would love to visit both, but probably not live in either.
Well that's one thing they have in common, you don't want to live in either. Are they both for the same reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I thought we were talking about Japan? I know how the north east United States is.
I thought this poster was talking about the Southeast. Like someone mentioned, its more of the 50+ generation in Japan that has more of the xenophobic and prejudice attitudes toward gaijins, same as in the American South the "good ol' boy" mentality is more common among the baby-boomer generation.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM

477 posts, read 2,021,109 times
well i have lived both in japan and san diego and i would like to say i like japan more-maybe cuz im japanese and thus the biasness lol
GOOD about Japan:People are nicer and respectful, food is awesome, transportation kicks ass, WIDE variety of products, not much crime
CONS of japan:lots of smokers, tax on highways, parking, etc, kind of expensive depending on some items.
Good about san diego: hot women from all over, WEATHER, WIDE roads(though crappy), big space, big homes, CALIFORNIA BURRITO!!!!, MEXICAN FOOD, people accept marijuana more as a norm
COns: people i think are not as friendly especially the lower wage workers, not really a unity of people, food SUCKS, all the good food has to be super expensive or small portions,

Overall im getting my degree in UC, loving the chicks and weather in san diego, then heading straight to japan.
I will miss the beaches and mexican food, and the marijuana being more of a norm then untolerated in japan, but in the end im japanese at heart and that is my culture

edit:also with the amount the FED is printing, and the greather unemployment becomes in the states, i would be SCARED living here due to the types of gangs and crimes that norm occur, japan-u can honestly almost leave ur house unlocked without worrying, but there are suicidal freaks and more teenage crime increasing in japan.
but i would be scared way more for the normal teen and adult gangs in san diego

Last edited by mrgrape; 04-07-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM

19 posts, read 7,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Have any of you been to or lived in both California and Japan? Would you consider them to be similar or different? I was living in San Diego for 10 years, but I recently transferred to Japan and living in the Kanagawa Prefecture, just outside Tokyo. Some things I have noticed are similar, such as the dense population and limited land space due to the mountainous terrain in close proximity to the ocean. Also, the Tokyo metropolis looks very similar to the Los Angeles area with it's urban sprawl and traffic. Both are on the Pacific ring of fault lines, thus they have earthquakes. The plus side of having mountains close to the ocean is like in California, you can go to the beach and go skiing in the mountains the same day. Also, California and the rest of the West Coast, plus Hawaii, gets a lot of influence and ideas from Japan, especially with technological aspects and cultural trends.

What makes Japan different from California for one is the weather. Most of Japan lies in a humid subtropical zone and has 4 seasons with hot, humid summers, and mild winters with occasional snow. California has a Mediterranean climate in the southern part, and a marine climate in the northern. Also, public transportation is a lot more efficient in Japan. Rail is more of a priority than roads there. California is more of a car culture, as most of America. Of course there obvious differences such as the people, language, etc. as they are still two separate countries.
Except san franscisco northern California it's more public transportation

Old 08-30-2017, 03:05 PM

2,421 posts, read 1,615,404 times
state vs country?

Anyway: even if you compare Minato-ku alone vs California, I'd still prefer Minato :P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia