U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,192,982 times

Advertisements

There are more millionaires in Japan than Germany and China...combined. In California, white people smoke cannabis; in Japan, white people go to prison for smoking cannabis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 03:12 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,606,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
There are more millionaires in Japan than Germany and China...combined. In California, white people smoke cannabis; in Japan, white people go to prison for smoking cannabis.
It really depends on how you count it.

Many residents of Beijing or Shanghai own an apartment with 1 million dollars value or more. But are they millionaires?
When they purchased the apartments, the value was probably a small fraction of that.

Housing prices increased 5~10 times in recent 20 years in big cities of China.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 939,646 times
Japan wins for me because of how clean and crime free it is compared to L.A. Not perfect but pretty nice. It's so dirty in L.A. the smell changes as you pass through different blocks. lol

Old 09-01-2017, 01:25 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,192,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Many residents of Beijing or Shanghai own an apartment with 1 million dollars value or more. But are they millionaires?
When they purchased the apartments, the value was probably a small fraction of that.

Housing prices increased 5~10 times in recent 20 years in big cities of China.
Would depend on how much they owe.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:48 AM

2,415 posts, read 1,610,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
yeah well it's called net worth...

Owning condo worth 1 million = millionaire;
Owning cash worth 1 milliion = millionaire;

Of course the concept is unpractical as owning cash is always better, "more liquid".

Old 09-03-2017, 08:32 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,842,808 times
Now that I've been living in Florida, I have noticed a lot of similarities between Florida and Japan such as the hot, humid summers and the loud cicadas, toll roads (particularly Florida's Turnpike looks like an expressway in Japan), the Brightline Train in South FL which is privately owned, like many of the commuter rail lines in the Tokyo metro area, horizontal traffic signals, and a lot of technological features. Maybe it's because I'm from Georgia where people say it is the exact opposite of Japan since it's backwards and 50 years behind in technology, so every place looks more similar to Japan by comparison, lol.

Also South FL has a fairly large Japanese pop, so there's a large fan base for Ichiro of the Marlins. There's even a road with a Japanese name in West Palm Beach (Yamato). I also noticed the scenery of South Florida reminds me of Japan a little, with all the fields and patches of cypress trees.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 AM

9,608 posts, read 2,654,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Now that I've been living in Florida, I have noticed a lot of similarities between Florida and Japan such as the hot, humid summers and the loud cicadas, toll roads (particularly Florida's Turnpike looks like an expressway in Japan), the Brightline Train in South FL which is privately owned, like many of the commuter rail lines in the Tokyo metro area, horizontal traffic signals, and a lot of technological features. Maybe it's because I'm from Georgia where people say it is the exact opposite of Japan since it's backwards and 50 years behind in technology, so every place looks more similar to Japan by comparison, lol.

Also South FL has a fairly large Japanese pop, so there's a large fan base for Ichiro of the Marlins. There's even a road with a Japanese name in West Palm Beach (Yamato). I also noticed the scenery of South Florida reminds me of Japan a little, with all the fields and patches of cypress trees.
But mountains.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
But mountains.
True. That is the one downfall of Florida besides it being a little too hot/humid. It does however have some nice scenery inland, like the cold water springs around Ocala and Gainesville.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
San Francisco is similar to some cities in Japan.
I guess that's why it changed its name to San Fransokyo in "Big Hero 6".

Old 09-03-2017, 01:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,079,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Japan wins for me because of how clean and crime free it is compared to L.A. Not perfect but pretty nice. It's so dirty in L.A. the smell changes as you pass through different blocks. lol
You're comparing all of Japan to LA? The Los Angeles metro area is 3% of the size of Japan. That seems like a strange comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia