U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2017, 04:35 PM
 
3,680 posts, read 8,849,821 times
Reputation: 2138

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You're comparing all of Japan to LA? The Los Angeles metro area is 3% of the size of Japan. That seems like a strange comparison.
I would compare the Tokyo metro to LA metro + San Diego, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernadino, and maybe Ventura as well. San Diego city could be compared to Yokohama, as mentioned earlier, while Kanagawa Prefecture which Yokohama is located in could be compared to SD County. Meanwhile, Orange County could be compared to Chiba, Riverside can be compared to Saitama, and LA city/county can be compared to Tokyo city/prefecture respectively. San Fransisco can be matched with Osaka and Oakland with Kobe. LA and SF are about the equal distance from each other as Tokyo and Osaka, and once the California HSR line gets built it will be about the same travel time as the already existing Tokaido shinkansen line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2017, 11:11 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,265 posts, read 4,514,278 times
Reputation: 5631
California ....better weather, better sights, and silicon valley, google, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,638 posts, read 2,667,267 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
California ....better weather, better sights, and silicon valley, google, etc....
True but Japan is more exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,806 posts, read 810,785 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
True but Japan is more exciting.
In which way?

Tokyo is among the most boring big cities I've been to. It's slightly better than Houston, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,638 posts, read 2,667,267 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
In which way?

Tokyo is among the most boring big cities I've been to. It's slightly better than Houston, though.
That's not actually a controversial statement and I agree more or less; the point about it being exciting was on the eastern cultural and temples, tea houses, etc. that are foreign to the west.

Obviously if you were from China you may find California more "exciting" than Japan but as an American Japan is the more exotic and exciting place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,806 posts, read 810,785 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
That's not actually a controversial statement and I agree more or less; the point about it being exciting was on the eastern cultural and temples, tea houses, etc. that are foreign to the west.

Obviously if you were from China you may find California more "exciting" than Japan but as an American Japan is the more exotic and exciting place to go.
I'm not saying California is more exotic than Japan.

Tokyo isn't my favorite place in Japan, as a tourist. Kyoto has more cultural attractions, Hokkaido has more natural attractions, Osaka is a more vibrant city. Tokyo is only for business and politics.

Houston is larger than Seattle, but I find Seattle ten times more exciting. In fact, I'd rather spend a whole week in summer in San Juan Islands, WA than anywhere in Texas. Tokyo is practically the Japanese version Houston, or Atlanta, or any other boring large city that has little to offer.

Is Japan more "exciting" for American tourists? On day one, maybe it is, being surrounded by people who don't look like you can be exotic? But I didn't meet many American tourists during my stay in Tokyo. Actually, Japan is the preferred destination for Chinese tourists.It's not uncommon for some affluent Chinese tourists to vacation in Japan every year. It seems that Japanese culture/food/lifestyle is more appealing to Chinese. Every American agrees that Japan is a wonderful country, but when American tourists go to Asia, even Thailand is a more popular choice.

Simply because Japan is also in East Asia doesn't mean China and Japan are that similar. Italy is also a western country, but no American tourist complains that Italy has nothing foreign to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
 
3,680 posts, read 8,849,821 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not saying California is more exotic than Japan.

Tokyo isn't my favorite place in Japan, as a tourist. Kyoto has more cultural attractions, Hokkaido has more natural attractions, Osaka is a more vibrant city. Tokyo is only for business and politics.

Houston is larger than Seattle, but I find Seattle ten times more exciting. In fact, I'd rather spend a whole week in summer in San Juan Islands, WA than anywhere in Texas. Tokyo is practically the Japanese version Houston, or Atlanta, or any other boring large city that has little to offer.

Is Japan more "exciting" for American tourists? On day one, maybe it is, being surrounded by people who don't look like you can be exotic? But I didn't meet many American tourists during my stay in Tokyo. Actually, Japan is the preferred destination for Chinese tourists.It's not uncommon for some affluent Chinese tourists to vacation in Japan every year. It seems that Japanese culture/food/lifestyle is more appealing to Chinese. Every American agrees that Japan is a wonderful country, but when American tourists go to Asia, even Thailand is a more popular choice.

Simply because Japan is also in East Asia doesn't mean China and Japan are that similar. Italy is also a western country, but no American tourist complains that Italy has nothing foreign to offer.
I've always thought of Tokyo as an Atlanta on steroids, and an Asian version and not ghetto/safer. They have similar climates, similar style architecture, similar layout (freeway system, but of course Atlanta's rail network does not compare to that of Tokyo's), plus it's more of a business oriented city and not as touristy. It depends on what you like though. Atlanta and Tokyo are my two favorite cities in the world, because they feel like home. Since I am familiar with both cities, I know a lot of good places for dining, nightlife, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Reputation: 7586
Comparing Atlanta/Houston with Tokyo is something only Americans can do... Tokyo is an exciting city, it is just not so accessible to non-Japanese people.

Go to some random alley at Shinjuku at 10pm in Tokyo and appreciate the vibrant life and wonderful food, and then come back tell me it is similar to Atlanta and Houston. Only LA and NYC are comparable. Not even San Francisco, not even Chicago.

As to Thailand is more popular than Japan, of course... Thailand is cheap, and most Americans only care about the stupid beach or cheap sex they can't afford in the US.

Tokyo metro has the population of entire California. So there is no stupid CA vs. Japan comparison. What's next, Louisiana vs. France?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:47 PM
 
19 posts, read 7,126 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
um, it's like no comparison. also tokyo does not look like la. tokyo is clean, neat, quiet, organized, and full of japanese people who are also that way. california is.. um.. way different.
You can compare tokyo and san Francisco san francisco Francisco is clean ,neat,quiet , organized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 PM
 
19 posts, read 7,126 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Comparing Atlanta/Houston with Tokyo is something only Americans can do... Tokyo is an exciting city, it is just not so accessible to non-Japanese people.

Go to some random alley at Shinjuku at 10pm in Tokyo and appreciate the vibrant life and wonderful food, and then come back tell me it is similar to Atlanta and Houston. Only LA and NYC are comparable. Not even San Francisco, not even Chicago.

As to Thailand is more popular than Japan, of course... Thailand is cheap, and most Americans only care about the stupid beach or cheap sex they can't afford in the US.

Tokyo metro has the population of entire California. So there is no stupid CA vs. Japan comparison. What's next, Louisiana vs. France?
California has 40 million and there is a comparision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top