U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:45 PM

9,602 posts, read 2,652,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blancoj18 View Post
You can compare tokyo and san Francisco san francisco Francisco is clean ,neat,quiet , organized
lies, San Francisco is neat in the eyes of the local insect life and rats but by human standards it is below Chicago.

California has some clean cities though (Santa Barbara, Palo Alto, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 12:50 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
SF is clean? Lol. That's why the government has to come up with a map for residents to avoid areas full of human waste and needles on the ground?

Old 11-19-2017, 01:51 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,097,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
SF is clean? Lol. That's why the government has to come up with a map for residents to avoid areas full of human waste and needles on the ground?
stop hatin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB6HP3ZmLlg

Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Is Japan more "exciting" for American tourists? On day one, maybe it is, being surrounded by people who don't look like you can be exotic? But I didn't meet many American tourists during my stay in Tokyo. Actually, Japan is the preferred destination for Chinese tourists.It's not uncommon for some affluent Chinese tourists to vacation in Japan every year. It seems that Japanese culture/food/lifestyle is more appealing to Chinese. Every American agrees that Japan is a wonderful country, but when American tourists go to Asia, even Thailand is a more popular choice..
Where did you go in Japan that you didn't see Americans?

When I lived in Japan, I saw them everywhere, particularly around Kyoto and temples and such. Americans love Japan, and Japanese love Americans.

In Thailand, I tend to see more Europeans and Australians.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:44 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,252,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Comparing Atlanta/Houston with Tokyo is something only Americans can do... Tokyo is an exciting city, it is just not so accessible to non-Japanese people.

Go to some random alley at Shinjuku at 10pm in Tokyo and appreciate the vibrant life and wonderful food, and then come back tell me it is similar to Atlanta and Houston. Only LA and NYC are comparable. Not even San Francisco, not even Chicago.

As to Thailand is more popular than Japan, of course... Thailand is cheap, and most Americans only care about the stupid beach or cheap sex they can't afford in the US.

Tokyo metro has the population of entire California. So there is no stupid CA vs. Japan comparison. What's next, Louisiana vs. France?
Have you even ever been to Atlanta or Houston? I thought you mostly just stuck to New York City.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:33 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,417,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not saying California is more exotic than Japan.

Tokyo isn't my favorite place in Japan, as a tourist. Kyoto has more cultural attractions, Hokkaido has more natural attractions, Osaka is a more vibrant city. Tokyo is only for business and politics.

Houston is larger than Seattle, but I find Seattle ten times more exciting. In fact, I'd rather spend a whole week in summer in San Juan Islands, WA than anywhere in Texas. Tokyo is practically the Japanese version Houston, or Atlanta, or any other boring large city that has little to offer.

Is Japan more "exciting" for American tourists? On day one, maybe it is, being surrounded by people who don't look like you can be exotic? But I didn't meet many American tourists during my stay in Tokyo. Actually, Japan is the preferred destination for Chinese tourists.It's not uncommon for some affluent Chinese tourists to vacation in Japan every year. It seems that Japanese culture/food/lifestyle is more appealing to Chinese. Every American agrees that Japan is a wonderful country, but when American tourists go to Asia, even Thailand is a more popular choice.

Simply because Japan is also in East Asia doesn't mean China and Japan are that similar. Italy is also a western country, but no American tourist complains that Italy has nothing foreign to offer.
Since when did Seattle has more to offer than Houston and Atlanta. If you talking Music, and Shopping, theater, Diversity, Dinning and etc Houston and Atlanta are ahead of Seattle, The only thing Seattle beat really Atlanta and Houston really is environment, and even then Atlanta is no slouch cause it's only a few miles away from the Blue Ridge. And While I would give Seattle a nob for being more urban it's not leaps and bounds.

Study: Georgia now No. 1 in feature film productions

A new study ranks Atlanta, not New York or L.A., as the most influential on our musical tastes.

My point is no shade to Seattle I do think it's a cool city,, but I find it rather odd that you........... first insult ATL and Houston.... to later insult Tokyo.

----------------

Also I don't know if your American or not but Tokyo in the vein of London, Paris, Rio and etc to Most Americans

"Is Japan more "exciting" for American tourists? On day one, maybe it is, being surrounded by people who don't look like you can be exotic?"

No.... there are Asian people in America......... he taking about culture and history.

Also Because of Japanese influence in American culture like Anime, videos games, as well tech companies,

--------

Last America and Italy are not on same Continent. I get what your saying but you should had said how Italy and Germany have different cultures is like China and Japan have different cultures. Even though the Americas has historical ties with Europe, in the spirit of Monroe doc, most Americans don't associate themselves with Europe like that it's nearly half way across the world

Old 11-27-2017, 02:33 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,391,319 times
I find a lot of parallels of the cities of Japan to NYC (particularly Osaka, Tokyo, and Sapporo), but there are things each excels at. NYC has a better bar scene while those three cities in Japan have a better rave scene. Japan also has much better mass transit, but I hate how it shuts down after midnight. One of the reasons I try to go at 4 specific points a year is because of how much I love it there haha, I have a lot of friends in the Tokyo area. I'll be back on Dec 26th!

I would never ever work in Japan though. The salaryman lifestyle is god aweful and my career is dead center of it. My career is better in the US and in particular supercharged when in SF or NYC. I don't really have any love for the West Coast and can only draw the parallel of LA and Tokyo because of the decentralized city concept. It ends there though.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:35 PM

5,668 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Also South FL has a fairly large Japanese pop, so there's a large fan base for Ichiro of the Marlins. There's even a road with a Japanese name in West Palm Beach (Yamato). I also noticed the scenery of South Florida reminds me of Japan a little, with all the fields and patches of cypress trees.
Things must have changed in South Florida quite a bit since when I lived there in the 1980s. I don't recall knowing any Japanese people, and indeed only 2 Asians of any kind. And the traffic lights used to be vertical.

And not to be picky, but Yamato Road is located south of West Palm Beach in Boca Raton. It leads near the Morikami Museum, which is a beautiful place and well worth seeing. Between that and Honolulu is as close to an experience of Japan as I've ever gotten. (Someday I hope to make it over to the actual country of Japan itself.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia