U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 AM

2,812 posts, read 1,660,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Thatís true as well. They were very happy when the political Islamists came to power. They started EU entrance negotiations and rolled out the red carpet for them. They were never so nice to seculars earlier.

However, what US did was way more sinister. They supported an Islamist cult who had hundreds of schools in Turkey. The graduates were mostly brain washed Islamist cult members who obeyed mindlessly. In a country where education level is already very low, this was horrible.

This Pennsylvania based cult stole questions of entry exams to military, police, judiciary. They gave the questions to their graduates or to other members of their cult. The goal was to get rid of the secular and enlightened people in many institutions and replace them wlth their (and USís) puppets. They were succesful too to a great degree.

They were allied with the current government until a very recent power fight.

Anyways, US media conveniently forget and ignore their countryís decades long contribution and support to this effort to make Turkey an unsecular country when they discuss Turkey. This is a hypocritical behavior. I donít think they sincerely want Turkey to be secular. If the population were all ignorant and obedient like Saudi Arabia I think they would be happier. Though we saw the results of that on 9/11 and Afghanistan.
Saudi Arabia is only an ally to the west because of oil. No one really wants any other country to become like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM

401 posts, read 185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Saudi Arabia is only an ally to the west because of oil. No one really wants any other country to become like them.
Do you have any other explanation as to why US supported the Islamist Gulen cult in Turkey for decades against seculars?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:24 AM

55,709 posts, read 74,719,468 times
Turkey was doing really really well til they decided to me nice guys and take in a few million Syrians
Learn from this

Old 05-30-2018, 03:48 PM

9,668 posts, read 2,681,039 times
Quote:
Are you talking about them taking in the shah or over throwing a democratically elected leader? Because from my understanding the British had a pretty big say in the later, however the first was primarily what caused relations to strain.
Brits are equally as bad. Though itís not all the west, just those two.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:37 AM

1,183 posts, read 347,734 times
Quote:
I never said everything was USís fault. However they contributed to the strengthening of political Islam in Turkey greatly and that is a fact. They should admit what they did.
Its not the first country we've fiddled in and then things blew up in our face.

You think the US would learn by now, but no. Look at the betrayal of the Kurds, the most steadfast and capable loyal group in that whole area.

Anyhoo.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 AM

1,183 posts, read 347,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Turkey was doing really really well til they decided to me nice guys and take in a few million Syrians
Learn from this
Not exactly - that was a humanitarian thing to do. There's only a few bad apples in them; the Syrian people were a stable, if cynical, and productive civilized society before the war broke out.
Edrogan and his cronies with their backslide into semi-dictatorship/theocracy-lite was already extant.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Quote:
Do you have any other explanation as to why US supported the Islamist Gulen cult in Turkey for decades against seculars?

control of the bhosphorus straits. Plain and simple. To contain the black sea fleet.

I prefer turkey to be secular and turks to return to paganism rather than follow the ways of the foreign bedoiun.

Remember the battle of nahavand. Its does downhill from there.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,025,159 times
Quote:
Seems like everything is somehow America's fault Not saying America didn't use Turkey as a buffer zone between the USSR and the Middle East, but some of what you're saying seems like a bit of a stretch.
It's a generic trend. Blame the superpower because it's the easy thing to do.

Moderator cut: see below

My own native country has been under Ottoman rule for over 700 years. Turkey to this day still rules over the Orthodox capital of Constantinople, yet you don't hear me whining about it. I've long accepted that as Turkish territory.
Turkey has also never admitted or apologized for the Armenian genocide and still occupies Northern Cyprus. I'm not even going to go into the whole Kurd issue.

Iran itself actively gets involved in the ME through it's proxies, but then plays the victim card.

The truth is that if there is any problem in a country, it is the responsibility of the local citizenry to tackle the issues at hand. Blaming anyone else is just beating around the bush and a total waste of time. Nothing productive will come out of that.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other posters.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:56 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,621,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Serbs, Greeks, Bulgarians... started demanding Turkey account for it's actions.
Yeah Tarkan is the root of all evil...worse than a twitter spammer, old sexmaniac who supports Al Qaida.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:35 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,117,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yeah Tarkan is the root of all evil...worse than a twitter spammer, old sexmaniac who supports Al Qaida.
tarkan the pop singer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or