U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 02:04 PM

287 posts, read 781,377 times

Advertisements

For those of you who've traveled to Vietnam, what were the highlights of your trip (vacation)? What is on your must see & do list, as far as scenery, history, and culture? It's impossible to see the whole country on one trip, and the likelihood of returning is slim. Planning for the end of the year or early next year.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:57 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,425,337 times
I'm not the best person to ask only being there once for a few days, and did not go to the north - but I like Hue for the history and cultural significance, and Saigon just to see the bustling capitalistic side of the country. I also liked the tunnels of Chu Chi but just be aware of the over-the-top propaganda elements.
You will get better responses...its on my list of countries I really need to explore in more detail.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,461,176 times
I was there for 2 weeks and you are right - it's impossible to see the entire country, unless you go for like a month. We did Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Hoi An, Sapa & HCMC. Ha Long Bay, Hoi An and Sapa were my favorites - but as far as cities go, I liked Hanoi better than HCMC. HCMC is better for the nightlife, but Hanoi was just better in general, IMO. HCMC does have some cool rooftop bars which we enjoyed. (Personally though if you are pressed for time, I would skip HCMC honestly).

The pho is delicious and cheap, def try it. It's a breakfast food there and stalls start serving about 6am.

Sapa was great and is near the border of china and we stayed with a hilltribe family. Take the overnight train, it's a lot of fun! (There is also a bus but the train is better if you want to actually sleep). The tribe we stayed with was the Red Dao and there is also the Black Hmong, among others. You don't need to book these homestays ahead of time. Once you get off the bus or train in Sapa, there are literally ladies waiting there that will take you to their homes if you want to do a homestay (we did - it was awesome!). It was a lot of culture shock, as many do not have electricity or running water (ours did, as well as a bathroom and shower) ... so keep that in mind. Still, the homestay was one of the highlights of our trip!

Hoi An is a really nice place and you can go to Da Nang to go to the beach. We rented the motorbike from our hotel and cruised around, it was also a lot of fun.

Ha Long Bay you can book a boat cruise, it's beautiful.

OMG Vietnam is awesome, you will have a great time!

One piece of advice (made me feel a little uncomfortable); but at every hotel, they will take your passport and keep it until you check out. It's just procedure within the country... most countries will take it, plug in some info and give it back to you a few minutes later - not there.

We went in November, great time to go! Let me know if you have any more questions

Old 05-09-2018, 02:10 PM

There are some great deals on Google Flights out of LA right now (I would have to get there, but its worth it) for around $500 RT, for between September through March of 2019. I think its time to move on this!

Old 05-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sapa was great and is near the border of china and we stayed with a hilltribe family. Take the overnight train, it's a lot of fun! (There is also a bus but the train is better if you want to actually sleep). The tribe we stayed with was the Red Dao and there is also the Black Hmong, among others. You don't need to book these homestays ahead of time. Once you get off the bus or train in Sapa, there are literally ladies waiting there that will take you to their homes if you want to do a homestay (we did - it was awesome!). It was a lot of culture shock, as many do not have electricity or running water (ours did, as well as a bathroom and shower) ... so keep that in mind. Still, the homestay was one of the highlights of our trip!
This sounds interesting! This must be a big source of revenue for them. What did it cost?

Old 05-09-2018, 03:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,461,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
This sounds interesting! This must be a big source of revenue for them. What did it cost?
I forget. I will ask my fiancé tonight what we paid. Everything in Vietnam is so cheap. I don't think it was that expensive (obv they will not take credit card, so you will have to pay them in cash). I think you could probably also negotiate - though, as a well-off American, I don't like to do that - they make peanuts over there!

Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,391,886 times
I was there in 1969. It was a blast. Literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or