U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Reputation: 7935

Advertisements

The closest parallel would be with Cuba. Both are tropical island nations that were colonized by the Spanish until 1900, solidly Catholic culture, then taken over by the Americans for the first half of the 20th century. With independence from the Americans, were run by US puppet tyrants (Batista or Marcos), and only followed divergent tracks in recent decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2018, 02:49 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 398,538 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Filipinas and Mexican-American men are very compatible the cultures are more compatible than American Anglo guys or Black guys(sorrry) but those cultures generally are just not as family oriented there is a huge difference. Filipinos and middle class Mexicans generally place family above all and Anglos and Black Americans value socializing with friends and acquaintances more of course there are exceptions.
Incorrect....

I know many Black and White American Men from the South who went to the Philippines came back with a Wife because they wanted a conservative traditional Woman with family values. So it depends on what city and state in the U.S. they are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Incorrect....

I know many Black and White American Men from the South who went to the Philippines came back with a Wife because they wanted a conservative traditional Woman with family values. So it depends on what city and state in the U.S. they are from.
My experience with American cultural conservatives is that they generally view family primarily as the nuclear family much different than Mexicans and Filipinos who are generally very entwined. Even much more collective than Southern Europeans as they tend to share their money with relatives not living in the same household such as brothers, uncles, aunts. Anyway I have family members married with Anglos who would be considered conservative and traditional and by my cultural standards I would consider them aloof and not extended family minded. They marry the person and have no clue they married into the family and resentments build. I would not consider Anglos a good match with Latin based cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,847 posts, read 3,377,310 times
Reputation: 7738
Filipinas with conservative traditional family values. From the provinces probably yes. Urban areas like Manila it's a mixed bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3253
Filipinos in the US tend to distance themselves from Mexicans. They seem to be influneced more by other Asians. Which is ironic because East asians tend to really look down on Filipinos. Even some south east Asians seem to look down on Filipinos for being Christian and having such a strong western influence. But when filipinos don't have these American prejudices they usually get along with Mexicans very well. I am Central American and get along very well with pinoys My Filipino coworkers call me Filipino because I love them like brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2018, 09:00 PM
 
Location: God's Country
5,188 posts, read 3,501,064 times
Reputation: 8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The age gap isn't necessarily an obstacle to a successful marriage. I have an acquaintance who is 63 and married a 30 year old Filipina who has two children. He is financially well off and has a large home on 10 acres of land. activities in his home state.

Gee, I wonder why their union is successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:48 PM
 
1,183 posts, read 343,916 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
My experience with American cultural conservatives is that they generally view family primarily as the nuclear family much different than Mexicans and Filipinos who are generally very entwined. Even much more collective than Southern Europeans as they tend to share their money with relatives not living in the same household such as brothers, uncles, aunts. Anyway I have family members married with Anglos who would be considered conservative and traditional and by my cultural standards I would consider them aloof and not extended family minded. They marry the person and have no clue they married into the family and resentments build. I would not consider Anglos a good match with Latin based cultures.


You keep using the term Anglos, but the English proportion of American males is not so great - you are missing all the Italians, Jews, Germans, Irish. No don't go telling me you think the Irish are Anglos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 04:25 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,230,790 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You keep using the term Anglos, but the English proportion of American males is not so great - you are missing all the Italians, Jews, Germans, Irish. No don't go telling me you think the Irish are Anglos!

I don't consider the Irish from Ireland Anglos.


If the term Anglos does work for you than substitute it with WASPS. Which are primarily the descendants of The British Isles(Mostly minus the Irish) + the Germanics. Quite a bit of the descendants of Irish living in some parts of the USA have been WASPIZED BTW especially the one's that one's that are Protestants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 343,916 times
Reputation: 3193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't consider the Irish from Ireland Anglos.


If the term Anglos does work for you than substitute it with WASPS. Which are primarily the descendants of The British Isles(Mostly minus the Irish) + the Germanics. Quite a bit of the descendants of Irish living in some parts of the USA have been WASPIZED BTW especially the one's that one's that are Protestants.
Yea I think you really mean WASP or WASPish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You keep using the term Anglos, but the English proportion of American males is not so great - you are missing all the Italians, Jews, Germans, Irish. No don't go telling me you think the Irish are Anglos!
In this context Anglos could be non-Hispanic Whites, who could comprise all of the above, to distinguish them from Caucasians with a Latino/Hispanic identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top