Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 PM

280 posts, read 336,096 times

Advertisements

Does this really state the fact that barring Japan the legal system in most of Asia is still pretty bad? A whole host of ex Korean presidents were jailed or about to be jailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:00 AM

16,360 posts, read 10,388,121 times
Which South Korean presidents have been jailed? My quick search shows that Kim Young-sam had Chun Doo-hwan and Roh Tae-woo arrested, but then later pardoned. Were there any others? (Keep in mind, Park Geun-hye was impeached and removed from office, but I don't think she's ever been jailed.)

Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,427,314 times
corruption

Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,718,350 times
I wouldn't trust the legal system in any country if you are a high ranking official and your opposition is in power. Even if they aren't successful in locking you up doesn't mean they still won't try to bring you down.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,871,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which South Korean presidents have been jailed? My quick search shows that Kim Young-sam had Chun Doo-hwan and Roh Tae-woo arrested, but then later pardoned. Were there any others? (Keep in mind, Park Geun-hye was impeached and removed from office, but I don't think she's ever been jailed.)
As far as I can tell, she has been in jail since she was arrested.

Park Geun-hye
Park Geun-hye: South Korea's ex-leader jailed for 24 years for corruption - BBC News

Corruption, as we know it in the west, is very common all over East Asia, even in Japan. Exchanging goods or money for favors (ie. bribes) is common in all of east Asia, whether with government officials or in business. Doing under the table deals to avoid taxes is also incredibly common. It's part of most of the countries cultures, especially China, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. I don't know about SE Asia or other parts of Asia. Many people just view this as part of life, and don't even think there is anything unethical about it.

I had an acquaintance who worked for a US company in Japan, the company was having a really difficult time working with any Japanese companies and picking up any clients. Finally they hired a guy who had grown up in Japan and he told them exactly what they needed to do. When the client asks during negotiations to be taken out for a meal, you have to do that, you won't get their business if you don't. Expect them to bring their entire families, and they also expect you to give them expensive gifts, and possibly more, like take them to a Karaoke or something like that. Money may even be exchanged under the table. That is common in all of East Asia.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:53 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,718,350 times
In many Asian cultures, if you are an official and someone offers you a gift, you take it or else you are offending them. After all they probably went to great pains and spent a lot of money to get you the gift. Here in the U.S. such behavior is considered unethical in political circles but in places like China refusing a gift would make you look selfish and ungrateful in the eyes of the public. The same culture permeates into the lives of ordinary folks so next time you invite an Asian or even knowledgeable Asian American to a business exchange, don't be surprised if they bear gifts for you. It's frowned upon to go to such places empty handed.

As implied in my previous post my thought is that ex-presidents in Asian nations get jailed easily just so their opposition sidelines them. It's all political really and not really honestly a drive against corruption.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,173,371 times
Why would anybody want power, except to abuse it? Presidents are at the apex of that pyramid. In America, none are in prison because America perpetuates this myth that democratically elected officials cannot possibly be seeking power for the purpose of abusing it. So even the obviously guilty get a wink and a pass.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,289,909 times
As for Taiwanese ex-presidents, the only one who was tried, convicted and served time was Chen Shui-bian.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,325,634 times
Clearly these countries are still not as developed as Japan. Japan is still number 1 in the region.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:23 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,495,185 times
The LDP has long been known as receiving covert support from the US to help them win elections.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/09/w...-and-60-s.html

The US set up a brutal dictator in Syngman Rhee in S. Korea. He eventually had to flee to Hawaii with the help of the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia