U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2018, 12:26 PM
 
214 posts, read 91,192 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Hi,
I've heard that many foreign english teachers work in South Korea, which would make it hard to find a job opportunity. Any recommendations of cities to teach English that are more urban in South Korea, and has a presence of some ethnic diversity (I'm a visible minority). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,677 posts, read 3,653,594 times
Reputation: 16623
I can't speak to being an English teacher specifically. South Korea is a heavily urbanized country, so you have your choice of cities. There are 9 cities with populations of one million or more, plus another 8 cities with populations of at least 500,000.


As for ethnic diversity, that'll be a little trickier. South Korea is 96% ethnic Korean, and many of the remaining 4% are other Asians.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...#Ethnic_groups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM
 
214 posts, read 91,192 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't speak to being an English teacher specifically. South Korea is a heavily urbanized country, so you have your choice of cities. There are 9 cities with populations of one million or more, plus another 8 cities with populations of at least 500,000.


As for ethnic diversity, that'll be a little trickier. South Korea is 96% ethnic Korean, and many of the remaining 4% are other Asians.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...#Ethnic_groups
That's great to hear that there are so many urban cities. Any suggestions of cities that have a strong foreign teacher population? (I of course would like to meet the locals, but I think cities with a presence of foreign teachers would likely have diversity. I think so, but I could be wrong).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,170,043 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
That's great to hear that there are so many urban cities. Any suggestions of cities that have a strong foreign teacher population? (I of course would like to meet the locals, but I think cities with a presence of foreign teachers would likely have diversity. I think so, but I could be wrong).
South Korea isn't very ethnically diverse. Also, what does visible minority mean in this context, that you don't look 'Asian?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2018, 08:04 AM
 
214 posts, read 91,192 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
South Korea isn't very ethnically diverse. Also, what does visible minority mean in this context, that you don't look 'Asian?'
I'm black. I do not want to move to a city, where there is a chance that I could be the only black person. Yes, from my research, I knew that South Korea isn't ethnically diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 AM
 
473 posts, read 173,237 times
Reputation: 340
South Korea is 96% Korean, 3% other (South) East Asian ethnic groups, 0,5% other Asians, and less than 0,5% are not Asian.
South Korea does not have a significant unequal distribution of ethnic groups, unlike Western Europe or the US and Canada, where there can be cities with 40% foreign population, while the rural country is mostly non-migrants. Also, South Korea is one of the world's most urbanized countries, basically 6 out of 10 South Koreans live in an urban area of at least 2 million inhabitants. Korean cities are characterized by standardization and conformity, not by diversity.
South Korea is one of the world's largest producers and consumers of White Cosmetic products and obsessed with White skin colour, it is not recommendable for a black person to go there, there will be often unflattering comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 PM
 
214 posts, read 91,192 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
South Korea is 96% Korean, 3% other (South) East Asian ethnic groups, 0,5% other Asians, and less than 0,5% are not Asian.
South Korea does not have a significant unequal distribution of ethnic groups, unlike Western Europe or the US and Canada, where there can be cities with 40% foreign population, while the rural country is mostly non-migrants. Also, South Korea is one of the world's most urbanized countries, basically 6 out of 10 South Koreans live in an urban area of at least 2 million inhabitants. Korean cities are characterized by standardization and conformity, not by diversity.
South Korea is one of the world's largest producers and consumers of White Cosmetic products and obsessed with White skin colour, it is not recommendable for a black person to go there, there will be often unflattering comments.
Thanks, your posting confirms what I was thinking. I think the same, probably wouldn't be the best for me to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2018, 02:27 PM
 
2,849 posts, read 3,939,028 times
Reputation: 3256
City-data is a great place for finding information about cities and states in the USA, but for teaching English in South Korea, you would be better off finding those websites that specialize in English teaching overseas.

There is a well known website that has its own Korea forum and teachers currently working in South Korea post to that forum. They would be better able to answer your questions than the usual suspects here on C-D.

If you are interested, I can send a PM. Don't want to get in trouble for "advertising" another website here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM
 
214 posts, read 91,192 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
City-data is a great place for finding information about cities and states in the USA, but for teaching English in South Korea, you would be better off finding those websites that specialize in English teaching overseas.

There is a well known website that has its own Korea forum and teachers currently working in South Korea post to that forum. They would be better able to answer your questions than the usual suspects here on C-D.

If you are interested, I can send a PM. Don't want to get in trouble for "advertising" another website here.
I've may have heard of the website you are talking about, but definitely msg me with the info. Thanks, I can check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2018, 04:17 PM
 
2,849 posts, read 3,939,028 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdifferentseasons View Post
I've may have heard of the website you are talking about, but definitely msg me with the info. Thanks, I can check it out.
Message sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top