U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 06:19 PM

297 posts, read 93,309 times

Advertisements

I am not from SG, my wife is. I know SG is very strict in their "just us" policy. But when I was attending my naturalization ceremony here in the US, part of what they do is call out all the countries represented. SG was among them with one person.

My question... Does anyone know of a possible way a 2nd citizenship can be obtained, supposedly without SG knowing about it? Wife has no desire to give up SG passport for US, but if she can have both she's happy to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 PM

4,509 posts, read 3,094,486 times
money

Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,379,235 times
We have a relative who is Singaporean but obtained US citizenship. Does not appear Singapore knows about it unless you tell them. This person travels to Sípore on a US passport but still has an active CPF account and access to the health care system with the special benefits available to the Pioneer Generation. This individual uses a relativeís address in Sípore.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:56 PM

501 posts, read 461,577 times
The US doesn't care if you have multiple citizenships, as long as the other country is on good relations with the US, so you do not have to renounce any current citizenship to become a US citizen.

Singapore, however, does not allow its citizens to have multiple citizenships. If you want to become a citizen of Singapore you must first renounce any other citizenships you have. If the Singapore government finds out that one of their citizens has obtained another country's citizenship, they will (most likely) revoke that person's Singapore citizenship.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
What are the benefits for her to become a US citizen? If she has a US green card and a Singaporean passport, then what is there to be gained in renouncing her Singaporean citizenship? For travel and taxation, the Singaporean passport wins. Unless there's a plan to get a US government job or run for government office, why does she need to become a US citizen? If she doesn't let Singapore know about her US citizenship, they might not be able to find out. But if they do, Singaporean law requires that she renounces her citizenship and take away her SG passport and ID.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
What are the benefits for her to become a US citizen? If she has a US green card and a Singaporean passport, then what is there to be gained in renouncing her Singaporean citizenship? For travel and taxation, the Singaporean passport wins. Unless there's a plan to get a US government job or run for government office, why does she need to become a US citizen? If she doesn't let Singapore know about her US citizenship, they might not be able to find out. But if they do, Singaporean law requires that she renounces her citizenship and take away her SG passport and ID.
No real benefit other than options to move elsewhere in a few years while retaining the option to come back to the US hassle free.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:59 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
In this digital age its no longer possible to do this.

SG government has been tracking people down and making them choose SG or US citizenship.

I know someone who got contacted by the SG government over this. They had her travel info going back years and what passport she used and where. They were upfront about this. Then they gave her a choice and deadline to make it, US or SG. She was a naturalized US citizen, SG by birth (born and raised in SG).

Another issue is that SG immigration now asks if you have any other passports or permanent visas. They then compare your status to your stays and your passport stamps. Going to be hard to explain how you were in the US for more than 6 months without a green card and no stamps. Then they got you for making false statements.

My wife is keeping her SG citizenship. I feel thats the best choice also.

Hopefully SG reconsiders this and changes their laws sometime soon. Although, I believe this particular law is in the constitution so that probably makes it more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
There is no tax advantage of not gaining US citizenship. Green card holders have the same tax requirements as citizens, including that they have to file regardless of where the money is made or where they live.

There is some travel benefit depending on where you go, mainly China.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 PM

China has 15 day visa free for SG. My wife has taken advantage of that quite a lot. Depending on where you land, US has 72-144 hr visa free access too. Also, just this year Hainan island was opened up to 30 day visa free to US Canada and a few Euro countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or