U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 6,766 times

Advertisements

Looking to teach English in China and trying to decide on city. Some things that are important to me are:
  • Clean air
  • Ability to run outside
  • Cultural richness
  • "Real China experience"
  • Food
  • Best ability to learn Mandarin
  • Maybe friendly community?

I am a big runner, I also like to cycle, swim etc., and just live an active and healthy lifestyle. I would like to live in a place with a community of people that fit this description or at least have a decent infrastructure to do it (trails, runnable roads, parks...). I definitely want to learn as much Mandarin as I can. I know each area has their own dialects and what not so I want to be able to be broadly intelligible to the widest variety of Chinese people. Any advice is good, tell me what you know!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
There is no best answer, all depending on your interest.

Kunming has moderate temperatures around the year, with daily highs 15~25 C mostly. It has many minority groups besides Han Chinese, so the culture is more diverse. It is also close to Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam etc. and you can feel the influences there.

Xiaman is one of the most beautiful beach cities in China, with some nice architectures too. Winters are warm, Summers are hot but not too extreme compared to other southern cities. Living cost is high.

Fuzhou is the capital city of Fujian Province, bigger than Xiaman. It is on the coast but not a beach city. Summers are very hot, winters are warm.

In fact most people in Xiaman and Fuzhou speak Mandarin to each other now, though it is not the native language. People in Kunming speak the local dialect in most cases, but the dialect is similar enough to Mandarin. Xiamen and Fuzhou have better economy than Kunming, and you will be paid more, probably. However Kunming is still a major city and you will find all things you need.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 6,766 times
Thanks for the response, based on cost of living and teacher salary which city do you think would be most bang for the buck?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 PM

653 posts, read 581,841 times
IMO I would take a job in Kunming. Just outside the downtown is very natural and you have lots of opportunities for outdoors activity.

I've always been a big fan of Yunnan province, esp the weather and more natural (cleaner air/water) environment. The only issue for me was there are no jobs there besides teaching English.

Best of luck!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:10 PM

1,151 posts, read 950,138 times
Many years ago, I took a class in Mandarin Chinese that emphasized the Beijing way of speaking. If I were to resume my study, would you guys recommend continuing that way? Many of my Chinese friends (but not all) find the Beijing style to be different.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Many years ago, I took a class in Mandarin Chinese that emphasized the Beijing way of speaking. If I were to resume my study, would you guys recommend continuing that way? Many of my Chinese friends (but not all) find the Beijing style to be different.
Most foreigners cannot master the pronunciations very well anyway, so any "style" is fine.

However, if you are talented, speaking with authentic Beijing accent is definitely a plus when you communicate with Chinese people. It is not because they like Beijing accent, but because all people in China are familiar with it and they will think you are super smart to get it (and they cannot even if they try).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia