U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I read that the word ketchup came to English from Malay, but that Malay likely got it from Cantonese (k'ē chap 'tomato juice'). I know a bit of Mandarin, but no Cantonese -- so, I cannot verify. I do know that kecap manis ('sweet ketchup') is a very popular addition to Indonesian food dishes. It's brown and tastes good poured over noodles and fried cabbage and tofu.

Tomato juice is 茄汁 (qie2 zhi1 in Mandarin Pinyin, ke4 zap1 in Cantonese Jyutping), so Cantonese pronunciation is close enough to Malay kecap or English ketchup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,108,861 times
i've been using hello chinese app on the iphone

Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,425,761 times
Then there is "gweiloh" (or gweilo) literary meaning "ghoulish bloke" which isn't a true English word but is used quite often when describing Westerners in Hong Kong (yes some of the same people who are part of the original topic for this post). I've even seen publications further Anglicize the term by pluralizing it as "gweilos". Had it been in Mandarin pronunciation, it would have been something like gui lao but to my knowledge Northern Chinese never referred to Westerners as ghost people. In the past, this term would have been viewed as derogatory but lately I think it has become more acceptable in a mildly teasing manner.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 811,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes for the reasons already stated in this thread:
  • that Hong Kong is not a typical immigrant destination and has no good plans to integrate immigrants into mainstream society (a byproduct of the old British colonial days when foreigners were either well to do businessmen or their foreign ethnic servants, usually from South Asia, both of whom pretty much kept to themselves)
Except for it does have plans to attract immigrants.

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/useful_i...epreneurs.html

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...on_scheme.html

Old 08-31-2018, 04:03 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Quote:
I have seen Aomen before on maps. It is not unheard of. I have never seen "Ohmuhn" however. "Macau" is either a Portuguese corruption of Ma Zu, the goddess of fishermen whom the Cantonese often refer to as Tin Hou, or a Portuguese corruption of Ma Ge, the name of her temple in Macau.
A-Ma Temple - MACAO WORLD HERITAGE

"A-Ma Temple already existed before the city of Macao came into being. The name “Macao” is believed to derive from the Chinese “A-Ma-Gau” meaning “Bay of A-Ma”, on which A-Ma Temple is located."

Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,627,869 times
Quote:
Then there is "gweiloh" (or gweilo) literary meaning "ghoulish bloke" which isn't a true English word but is used quite often when describing Westerners in Hong Kong (yes some of the same people who are part of the original topic for this post). I've even seen publications further Anglicize the term by pluralizing it as "gweilos". Had it been in Mandarin pronunciation, it would have been something like gui lao but to my knowledge Northern Chinese never referred to Westerners as ghost people. In the past, this term would have been viewed as derogatory but lately I think it has become more acceptable in a mildly teasing manner.
Correct. It's now a more casual term that's lost its original derogatory meaning. In Singapore the equivalent is "ang moh" (red-hair).

The more common, casual term for Westerners in Mainland China is "laowai" (translated as 'old foreigner').

Old 08-31-2018, 03:51 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Correct. It's now a more casual term that's lost its original derogatory meaning. In Singapore the equivalent is "ang moh" (red-hair).

The more common, casual term for Westerners in Mainland China is "laowai" (translated as 'old foreigner').
"lao" does not mean "old" here. It is just a prefix for a lot of nouns, such as laoban (boss), laoshi (teacher), laoxiang (fellowman) etc.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:10 PM

77 posts, read 64,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I read that the word ketchup came to English from Malay, but that Malay likely got it from Cantonese (k'ē chap 'tomato juice'). I know a bit of Mandarin, but no Cantonese -- so, I cannot verify. I do know that kecap manis ('sweet ketchup') is a very popular addition to Indonesian food dishes. It's brown and tastes good poured over noodles and fried cabbage and tofu.

Ketchup = 茄醬.

Tomato juice (like V8) = 茄汁.

However, Ketchup pronounced similar to 茄汁 in Cantonese, so people (socially and informally) also referred Ketchup as 茄汁.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:03 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,627,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
"lao" does not mean "old" here. It is just a prefix for a lot of nouns, such as laoban (boss), laoshi (teacher), laoxiang (fellowman) etc.
Well, that's the literal translation, I'm explaining for the benefits of non-Chinese speakers. I would think in this case "lao" denotes informality or casualness, as opposed to a formal prefix like for boss, teacher.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, that's the literal translation, I'm explaining for the benefits of non-Chinese speakers. I would think in this case "lao" denotes informality or casualness, as opposed to a formal prefix like for boss, teacher.

And am still wondering why mouse/rat (laoshu) and tiger (laohu) are prefixed with "lao" too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or