Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM

836 posts, read 1,254,878 times

Advertisements

Both the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jews and the Arabs are the poorest sectors in Israel, as evidenced by this article and another article and so forth.

A couple of questions: Whenever sources like the above discuss this situation, especially with respect to the Israeli Arabs, are they referring to Arabs in general or specifically to Muslim Arabs (plus Bedouins and Druze)? If the latter, are the Christian Arabs not normally considered in this rubric, given that they're much better off than other Arabs?

As a corollary, are the Dati Leumi (Modern Orthodox) Jews and the Christian Arabs in Israel about equally well-off, if the Haredi Jews and the Muslim Arabs are the two poorest populations in Israel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
I am so glad I am not from the middle east

paganism or godless all the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1s2NFOGyg

Old 06-05-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I am so glad I am not from the middle east

paganism or godless all the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1s2NFOGyg
What does this video have to do with the issue that's being addressed here???

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

631 posts, read 562,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Both the Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jews and the Arabs are the poorest sectors in Israel, as evidenced by this article and another article and so forth.

A couple of questions: Whenever sources like the above discuss this situation, especially with respect to the Israeli Arabs, are they referring to Arabs in general or specifically to Muslim Arabs (plus Bedouins and Druze)? If the latter, are the Christian Arabs not normally considered in this rubric, given that they're much better off than other Arabs?
Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics lumps Arab Christians and Muslims together as Arabs for statistical purposes. Many of the reports on poverty in Israel draw on CBS data. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say what is referred to is all Arabs... and if you were to take the Christians out, the Arab poverty rate would be higher.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-05-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics lumps Arab Christians and Muslims together as Arabs for statistical purposes. Many of the reports on poverty in Israel draw on CBS data. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say what is referred to is all Arabs... and if you were to take the Christians out, the Arab poverty rate would be higher.
Does Israel's CBS lump all Jewish groups as Jews? Or does it further subdivide the Jews, as in Ashkenazi vs. Sephardi/Mizrahi or secular (Hiloni and Mesorati) vs. Dati Leumi vs. Haredi?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM

631 posts, read 562,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Does Israel's CBS lump all Jewish groups as Jews? Or does it further subdivide the Jews, as in Ashkenazi vs. Sephardi/Mizrahi or secular (Hiloni and Mesorati) vs. Dati Leumi vs. Haredi?
For CBS' Income Survey, this is how the information on religion is gathered:

Religion and population group: the head of household is the only member of the household who is asked about his or her religion. The head of household’s religion is recorded as the religion of all household members. Religion is classified as Jews, Arabs and Others; The group “Jews and others” includes Jews, Christians who are not Arabs and those with no religious classification, and the group “Arabs” includes Moslems, Arab-Christians and Druze.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
When rigid religious views significant effect your ways of getting non-religious education and employment this is what happens.

For example a ultra orthodox Jew and very strict follower of Islam both share some similar challenges in the modern world ....

1. Can't mix with people of the opposite sex
2. Discouragement of mixing with people that are not following the faith at the same intensity
3. Need to follow strict pray routines
4. Have aspect of religious lifestyles that conflict with the way the modern world works
5. Being religious absorbs a significant amount of their time leaving less time for other things

While some people are worshiping and avoiding things ... other people are out their exploring and networking with people in all walks of life.

The take part in religion to the point it becomes boxes them in and limits their ability to progress.

Also very religious people tend to have larger families and that alone increases poverty rates.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
When rigid religious views significant effect your ways of getting non-religious education and employment this is what happens.

For example a ultra orthodox Jew and very strict follower of Islam both share some similar challenges in the modern world ....

1. Can't mix with people of the opposite sex
2. Discouragement of mixing with people that are not following the faith at the same intensity
3. Need to follow strict pray routines
4. Have aspect of religious lifestyles that conflict with the way the modern world works
5. Being religious absorbs a significant amount of their time leaving less time for other things

While some people are worshiping and avoiding things ... other people are out their exploring and networking with people in all walks of life.

The take part in religion to the point it becomes boxes them in and limits their ability to progress.

Also very religious people tend to have larger families and that alone increases poverty rates.
Not to mention the fact that many of them are also on state welfare.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not to mention the fact that many of them are also on state welfare.
I was watching some documentaries on these certain ultra orthodox type communities and I was really shocked at how many are on social assistance. It is really concerning. They really **** the outside world out and as a result can't really attain better employment. There is s lot of ignorance as a result ex not computers .... limited or no technology. Realky crazy cult like behaviour similar to that village of the Dammed movie.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:58 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was watching some documentaries on these certain ultra orthodox type communities and I was really shocked at how many are on social assistance. It is really concerning. They really **** the outside world out and as a result can't really attain better employment. There is s lot of ignorance as a result ex not computers .... limited or no technology. Realky crazy cult like behaviour similar to that village of the Dammed movie.
I assume you're talking about the ultra orthodox Jews in Israel. Most Muslims in Israel are pretty moderate, some not all are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia