U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:06 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times

Advertisements

Is it possible and safe to travel over land from Vietnam to Thailand through Cambodia or Laos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Of course it is. As soon as Laos and Cambodia started issuing visas, in the late 90s, it became possible and safe. Hue to Savannakhet, and across the bridge to Thailand has been easy for a long time. Everything is safe in that part of the world.

Now there are several bus connections to choose from Ho to Bangkok, about 20 hours, as low as $30. Look at www.rome2rio.com for suggestions.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 PM

160 posts, read 80,622 times
I've done it a couple dozen times by bus mostly, but I've done private car service and one time I took a motorcycle from the Cambodian side of the Vietnamese border to the Cambodian side of the Thai border. I haven't been in that area since 2006, but there used to be a place called Sinh Cafe that did bus tours for dirt cheap, like $15 from Vietnam to Cambodia. My sole purpose for taking these tours was to travel from country to country for a few bucks, but I found some of the tours to be kind of interesting while others were just boring and a huge waste of time, but for the price I paid, I can't complain. On my last run, I visited Hanoi, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, and Luang Prabang; all for under $200 with hotels & visas included in that price.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I've done it a couple dozen times by bus mostly, but I've done private car service and one time I took a motorcycle from the Cambodian side of the Vietnamese border to the Cambodian side of the Thai border. I haven't been in that area since 2006, but there used to be a place called Sinh Cafe that did bus tours for dirt cheap, like $15 from Vietnam to Cambodia. My sole purpose for taking these tours was to travel from country to country for a few bucks, but I found some of the tours to be kind of interesting while others were just boring and a huge waste of time, but for the price I paid, I can't complain. On my last run, I visited Hanoi, Saigon, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, and Luang Prabang; all for under $200 with hotels & visas included in that price.
Nice. That sounds like fun. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 AM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
While not relevant to the present discussion, my wife and I did it in 1996. From Hue, there was no transport to near the Lao border, but there was a tour company that took tourists to an historic war site on the DMZ, a few Km from the Lao border. We sighed up for the tour, got off at the end, and hired motorcycles to drive us the ten Km or so to the border checkpoint. After walking through the Vietnam exit and Laos entry (visa required, which we got in Hanoi), there was of course no public transport onward into Laos. We hitched a ride on top or a big slow truck, and an hour or so onward, the driver met a car driver he knew, and he transferred us over to the car, who drove us to Savannakhet. There was no crossing yet at Savannakhet, so we had to go to Vientiane to cross the Mekong into Thailand. (Now, i think there is a bridge at Savannakhet.)

The Southern Laotians were lovely, welcoming people -- much like the Cambodians are today.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Nice, thanks for sharing.^^

Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Remoteness is quite appalling in Laos, and Cambodia that are the polar opposite group classification system from Thailand/Vietnam’s own version of worldly wise civilization groundings. Skipping across ponds that aren’t even relevant in foreign popularity glamour attraction. Look at Southeast Asia’s own primitive Laos, Cambodia performing among conjunction to those neighbors: http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/doi/images/doi_map.jpg

Old 10-24-2018, 09:00 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is it possible and safe to travel over land from Vietnam to Thailand through Cambodia or Laos?
Yeah it is.

In 2000, I went from Saigon to Phnom Pehn. It was only 100-150 km, but it took us 5-6 hours. I'd imagine the roads are much better now. Many people also go into Cambodia from the Thailand side as well.

Yeah, you can go all the way across. Many bus companies have deals pretty much everywhere....mini-vans and such. Yep, easy to do. Not particularly comfortable though.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Interesting you ask this question as I have just done this route (mostly) a couple weeks ago. Travelled by bus from northern Cambodia down into Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh city). Perfectly safe.

Totally comfortable if you book what's called a "Limosine Bus" (your hotel can help you book this).

If you want to chat about it, ping me (we've chatted before )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or