U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 AM

1,061 posts, read 398,538 times

Advertisements

You should watch C-Milk, LoserLaoWei, Sepertenza, ADVChina YouTube channels.

Before you put the time and energy in ask yourself the following questions:

Where do I see myself in 5 and 10 years?
What is my plan B and C?
How much time and energy is it realistically going to take to accomplish this and is the Return on Investment worth it?

Do you like Chinese history, culture and cuisine?
Do you have a romantic or realistic understanding of their society?
Do you understand the importance of Guang Xi?

Lastly you need to understand one thing which may affect your decision. If you plan on marrying a Chinese Woman please know if you get legally married in China as a foreigner you can not legally work. Read it twice if you need to. To my knowledge you can not legally work as a LEGAL spouse of a Chinese national.

In addition there is no real path to naturalization to my knowledge. LoserLaoWhy, C-Milk and others go into this in their videos on YouTube.

Capitalize on all the information others have already collected.

Personally I feel if you are interested in Sustainable Agriculture maybe focus more on Japan. Japan has a much greater need and interest in the field. My Wife is Japanese and I know from research and being there that not enough young people are focused in this field.

If you'd like to do this in Japan instead let me know and I can help you with what your approach and next steps should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My first guess is that China has a huge and well educated citizenry, fully capable of competently taking care of its own development needs, and doesn't need someone who is not a native speaker familiar with the culture. China is not a third world country anymore, where Care packages and Peace Corps are eagerly awaited. Just as Hong Kong or Singapore are not places that have a thirst for outside expertise.

This is not a put-down, I think your goals are admirable. But in the real world, probably not a career path you can depend on.
I disagree. My daughter has a degree in Mandarin and is working toward her PhD in teaching Mandarin to native English speakers. She just gave a presentation on this in Hong Kong two weeks ago.

If you go on the websites of certain mega-engineering firms, you can find job opportunities for people willing to teach basic languages, including Arabic and Mandarin, to their engineers who are going to be working in countries where those languages are spoken.

The world has gotten smaller. During the course of her studies, my daughter has met people like the American woman who needed to learn basic Mandarin because her job requires that she spend one week of every month in Beijing.

Are you aware that there are 12,000 American students studying in China every year? Just by virtue of the interaction between people, the changes have begun and will not stop anytime soon.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,416,822 times
Opportunities abound in China for any foreign national who is eager to meet the Chinese demand. Teaching English in China was really popular when I was in college over a decade ago. Nowadays, employers will probably want more credentials such as a degree, a TESOL certificate and/or several years experience than before but it is still worth a try. Ditto with agriculture or any other field.

The only things to keep in mind about China are that:
  • It is a very different country from the U.S. and depending on what you do, where you work, and whom you work with, you may be closely monitored at all times. Surveillance is not a new concept to China, it has existed for thousands of years dating back to the Legalists and Mohists. I'm not saying it is a bad thing but many Americans are not used to having someone watching closely over their shoulders all the time.
  • As an authoritarian top down country, the national government can announce the expulsion of foreign nationals at any time without cause. They did this back during the 2008 Olympics for the sake of maintaining security. Fortunately, these are usually temporary measures and you might be able to readmit yourself after a short time. Still this leads to my third point ....
  • With the ongoing tough talk between Trump and Xi and potential trade war brewing, some highly nationalistic Chinese might bear new grudges against Americans. You should know the rule, don't openly talk politics with anyone even if that other person started the conversation. Successful foreign workers and businessmen know to follow this rule. Remember that you are a guest. Act courteously as a guest and you will be much appreciated.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM

^When my daughter first went to Chengdu to study at Sichuan University, they were told not to have any conversations with anyone about "the Three Ts" - Taiwan, Tiananmen Square, and Tibet.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^When my daughter first went to Chengdu to study at Sichuan University, they were told not to have any conversations with anyone about "the Three Ts" - Taiwan, Tiananmen Square, and Tibet.
It is generally a good idea not to talk about sensitive things with people you do not know well.
Some do not care, but others may overreact.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is generally a good idea not to talk about sensitive things with people you do not know well.
Some do not care, but others may overreact.
Well, in this case it goes beyond a general good idea.

Those three T's are political matters in a country that does not have freedom of speech and in fact will imprison its citizens for what they say. You don't want to put someone in that position.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:33 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, in this case it goes beyond a general good idea.

Those three T's are political matters in a country that does not have freedom of speech and in fact will imprison its citizens for what they say. You don't want to put someone in that position.
It's not that bad. My parents always talk about such things at home in China, not just between themselves, but also in family/friends gatherings.

China government does not care what ordinary people say in private. But if you make it public that is another story.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's not that bad. My parents always talk about such things at home in China, not just between themselves, but also in family/friends gatherings.

China government does not care what ordinary people say in private. But if you make it public that is another story.
I think that was the point of the warning, not to say those things in public or let it be known that you want to talk about them.

She returned after graduation from college and lived in Beijing for 15 months, and she will likely live in China at some point again either during the pursuit of her PhD or afterward. Her field of study is teaching Mandarin as a second language to native English speakers.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:12 AM

1,151 posts, read 949,862 times
I think that some good points have been made by the recent posters. The only unifying concept I would like to add is: don't let yourself be drawn in to romantic notions. There are many things I admire about Chinese culture and people. Even the current government regime, in some respects. But ... it is not wise to overdo projecting one's romantic notions onto any system, even perhaps ours in the US.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,107,984 times
MechaMan gave good advice. Just a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon Youtube videos from ADVChina and the channels the two guys do independent of each other, laowhy86 & serpentza. Many but not all of the videos are done partially of the guys talking to each other as they are riding their motorcycles. laowhy86 has his wife in his videos more than serpentza does. Anyway, it's given me a different perspective of China, or at least shown me a different side of life and culture there.

Both guys have been in China for several years, one over 10 I believe. I'm linking to a video where they discuss how much China has changed since they've been there. Pretty sure its this one where they talk about it being more difficult to get a job teaching English than it was when they first moved there. They also talk about the rise of nationalism in the country and find it less friendly than when they first arrived there.

https://youtu.be/MKazQ1AnNiU

They also have a video on White Monkey jobs. If you plan on trying to get a job there you may come across that type of job. One example would be companies that hire westerners when there's a business meeting with foreigners to give the company more credibility. C-milk (laowhy86) told a story of being hired by a private school to talk to parents of prospective students. He was propped up as the man in charge of putting the curriculum together, etc. He wasn't, but it gave the school more prestige and credibility. Don't recall why he said he quit, think he said he couldn't lie to people any longer about it. Not to mention it being illegal.

They've put out a lot of good videos, and others I haven't been interested in. Well worth checking out if you are seriously considering moving there. I'd think Japan would be a better option if you have the desire & opportunity to possibly work there. serpentza & laowhy86 (sorry, can only remember one of their names - serpentza is Winston from South Africa, the other guy is from the U.S.) took a trip to Japan and loved it there and how well they were treated. They did say however, it would be easier to get a girlfriend in China than Japan. Not sure how they could make that determination in such a short visit to Japan though.

Also have to be careful of scams in China. Make sure to watch some of those before moving there so you know what to avoid.

Edit: One last thing, they also mentioned the risk of buying a residence in China. The construction is very shoddy in many places so resale value isn't very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or