Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Chinese people who have too many children usually live in the countryside, where nobody really keeps track of the number of children you have.

You want a son if you live in the countryside, yes. If you live in a city, a son will be more costly to you because of Chinese culture (needing to have an own apartment for marriage etc.).

But still, how would it be unfair to Chinese if foreigners would have a path to citizenship? They would be under the same conditions as Chinese, no? And it's not like China has a viable welfare system in place so how exactly would it be unfair?
Sometimes the law is not enforced well in the countryside, but that is not the norm. Even in the cities, people want more than one child. If there were no such a policy, my parents would have more children. They often say that.

The argument China government makes is that China already has too many people, so we all need to give up some personal interest (i.e. more children). If you let foreigners in, the argument does not hold well.

Minorities in China are exempt from the policy to various degrees. Tibetans and Uyghurs can have three children legally. I don't know how they will treat naturalized citizens. Probably they will be "minorities"?

Ultimately, the point is China does not want too many people to come and stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 03:32 AM

779 posts, read 596,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Sometimes the law is not enforced well in the countryside, but that is not the norm. Even in the cities, people want more than one child. If there were no such a policy, my parents would have more children. They often say that.

The argument China government makes is that China already has too many people, so we all need to give up some personal interest (i.e. more children). If you let foreigners in, the argument does not hold well.

Minorities in China are exempt from the policy to various degrees. Tibetans and Uyghurs can have three children legally. I don't know how they will treat naturalized citizens. Probably they will be "minorities"?

Ultimately, the point is China does not want too many people to come and stay.
Ok, I kinda get what you're saying.

Demographic forecasts show that the population of China will start decreasing very soon, though. The now abandoned one-child policy was the reason, there's a big imbalance between males and females, more males than females.

I don't see a great storm for Chinese citizenship, still. People aren't lining up to get the chance to live in China, in fact, many wealthy Chinese are leaving China. And China, being an authoritarian state, can and is deciding who can stay in China based on a point based system, so 'refugees' and the like would certainly get booted from China, only the skilled could stay. How would this be unfair to the Chinese?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Ok, I kinda get what you're saying.

Demographic forecasts show that the population of China will start decreasing very soon, though. The now abandoned one-child policy was the reason, there's a big imbalance between males and females, more males than females.

I don't see a great storm for Chinese citizenship, still. People aren't lining up to get the chance to live in China, in fact, many wealthy Chinese are leaving China. And China, being an authoritarian state, can and is deciding who can stay in China based on a point based system, so 'refugees' and the like would certainly get booted from China, only the skilled could stay. How would this be unfair to the Chinese?
China is not particularly in short of "skilled people", compared to many western countries and the very poor countries.
For example, the US has to issue H1B visas otherwise the Silicon Valley companies cannot run. It also needs Mexican workers and others to harvest in the farms, to build roads and houses, and so on. Some African countries need foreign engineers and doctors because their educational system is very weak.

China has 8 million college graduates every year. It is already a big issue to give them jobs.
Each year, more Chinese citizens obtain STEM PhDs from US universities than American citizens do. Some of them will go back to China too. Not to mention those in Europe and Australia.

Of course, some exchange is always necessary. That is why China issues work visa to foreigners. But honestly China does not really need many people to stay here permanently.

It is true that most westerners would not want China citizenship to begin with. But the same cannot be said to people in many third world countries. For example, some Pakistanis have decent education too, and given the chance they would like to stay in Shanghai.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
You should come to China like ten or twenty years ago.

China is in a very dark period right now. Politically, Emperor Xi is trying to bring China back to the Mao era. Economically, the growth rate has slowed significantly. On top of the real estate bubble, aging population, inflation and debt, Trump's trade war may be the last straw to the collapse of the Chinese economy.

On the brighter side, you have nothing to lose except for your time.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:19 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China is not particularly in short of "skilled people", compared to many western countries and the very poor countries.
For example, the US has to issue H1B visas otherwise the Silicon Valley companies cannot run. It also needs Mexican workers and others to harvest in the farms, to build roads and houses, and so on. Some African countries need foreign engineers and doctors because their educational system is very weak.

China has 8 million college graduates every year. It is already a big issue to give them jobs.
Each year, more Chinese citizens obtain STEM PhDs from US universities than American citizens do. Some of them will go back to China too. Not to mention those in Europe and Australia.

Of course, some exchange is always necessary. That is why China issues work visa to foreigners. But honestly China does not really need many people to stay here permanently.

It is true that most westerners would not want China citizenship to begin with. But the same cannot be said to people in many third world countries. For example, some Pakistanis have decent education too, and given the chance they would like to stay in Shanghai.
Silicon Valley would function very well without foreign labor.

But greedy corporations are never satisfied with the already hefty profits. Some of its strategies to reduce cost is to hire foreign workers, to fool people into believing there's a shortage of STEM workers and to outsource software.

Most scientific and technological advancements made in the USA were before the arrival of Indians from India. Indian workers didn't send astronauts into space, didn't invent nuclear bombs, computers, airplanes, cars...

Old 07-25-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Silicon Valley would function very well without foreign labor.

But greedy corporations are never satisfied with the already hefty profits. Some of its strategies to reduce cost is to hire foreign workers, to fool people into believing there's a shortage of STEM workers and to outsource software.

Most scientific and technological advancements made in the USA were before the arrival of Indians from India. Indian workers didn't send astronauts into space, didn't invent nuclear bombs, computers, airplanes, cars...
The US had Einstein etc. from Europe. Most top scientists in America are/were immigrants.
America has had some top engineers (Thomas Edison for example), but few top scientists. Its culture is too profit-driven.

No, America does not produce enough software engineers. At least not now. If you go to graduate school, you will see most graduate students in computer science are Asians (from Asian countries).

Last edited by Bettafish; 07-25-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
You should come to China like ten or twenty years ago.

China is in a very dark period right now. Politically, Emperor Xi is trying to bring China back to the Mao era. Economically, the growth rate has slowed significantly. On top of the real estate bubble, aging population, inflation and debt, Trump's trade war may be the last straw to the collapse of the Chinese economy.

On the brighter side, you have nothing to lose except for your time.
China has a real estate bubble, but it is also rapidly urbanized. Now half Chinese are still peasants. If they go to the cities, or just buy some properties in the cities, it will be a huge market.

Hainan island used to have ghost towns 10 years ago, but now they are all filled with people rushing in. The new policy even forbids people from other provinces to buy. In cities like Chengdu, too many people went there to buy properties and the government has to ban purchases from non-residents.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:03 PM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runandstuff View Post
I am looking to teach English in China as a way to immerse myself in a new culture, learn Mandarin, and grow skills and employability. My long-term career goals do not include teaching English. Ideally I would like an international career working with diverse groups of people on issues involving sustainable food production and the like. I was wondering if as a foreigner it would be possible for me to volunteer in projects or groups involving urban community gardening, or indoor agriculture? I am interested in less polluted cities like Kunming, Xiamen, and Fuzhou (would also really appreciate suggestions for cities and explanations why)

I am really excited by China's is rapid growth and innovation as it increasingly employs green technologies and infrastructures, and would like to progress from teaching English to a job working in this area.

Possible? Not possible? Advice?
It's possible but you need a high level of Mandarin to get to the places you want to be and also upskill your qualifications - a lot of people come here with big ideas and think they can sit back on their bakery studies BA from the University of Idaho and they wonder why they cannot command over 10000 RMB a month.

So basically, invest in yourself, study Mandarin, get to around HSK level 5, try and do a masters degree at a Chinese University in the subject you are interested in - there are plenty of agricultural universities around the country that would accommodate you - it is a hard long road - you might spend a year or two here and think this country and the way they do things isn't for you - that would be a mistake - a lot of people leave China after a year or two hating the place never to return but it takes well over two years to get used to how things are done here, my first two years had regular 'throwing my toys out of the pram' days and it took a long time to get to where I am now - but I have changed a lot since I have come here and am now a far better person than when I arrived - I am a lot more patient, calm and tolerant and now I love China - I wouldn't live anywhere else - I hope to see the rest of my working days out here.

People bag English teaching but China needs English teachers and they need them in every part of the country - the money is pretty good these days and if you have a masters and beyond that is related then you can earn a decent living out here. The Chinese really respect qualifications and people who strive to improve their worth. Like I said - if you think you are just going to scratch your bum and sit around with a degree in hairdressing then you'll work but you won't be getting the better jobs - and they're tightening up regulations all the time, the day unqualified backpackers, Russians who couldn't speak English and whatnot turning up and getting jobs has all but gone.

There are challenges to living here, pollution, food/water safety, the internet - but I enjoy the day to day of living here such as the friendly people, the food (once you find good places to eat then it is a joy...) it's safe, it is easy to get around etc - you'll never be 'accepted' here as one of their own, their culture is quite exclusionary even going down to family level - but you are granted a lot of kindness and friendliness based on being a foreigner - it is a good place to hang your hat on for sure.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 4,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runandstuff View Post
I am looking to teach English in China as a way to immerse myself in a new culture, learn Mandarin, and grow skills and employability. My long-term career goals do not include teaching English. Ideally I would like an international career working with diverse groups of people on issues involving sustainable food production and the like. I was wondering if as a foreigner it would be possible for me to volunteer in projects or groups involving urban community gardening, or indoor agriculture? I am interested in less polluted cities like Kunming, Xiamen, and Fuzhou (would also really appreciate suggestions for cities and explanations why)

I am really excited by China's is rapid growth and innovation as it increasingly employs green technologies and infrastructures, and would like to progress from teaching English to a job working in this area.

Possible? Not possible? Advice?
I’m several months late to the thread but I have lived in Fuzhou the past four years and I love it. I’ve spent a lot of time in other cities/parts of China and it’s my favorite. It’s not super huge and overcrowded but it Is still big enough to be convenient. Downsides are that the summer is super hot. (I’m originally from Alabama so I don’t mind) but it’s not over saturated with foreigners.
I know many people here who started as teachers and went on to do many things like open restaurants, become professional models/actors in China (not kidding), get jobs in the medical field, trading companies, video games companies etc. I think it would be a good place to “get your feet wet” per se and make connections. From my experience if you tell any local friends that you have an interest or desire for X they will do their best to make it happen. Chinese people always say 关系 or connections/relationships/networking are the most important. I know some local people who run an organic produce and lifestyle company and have a farm somewhere outside of the city. If you are still interested or have questions you can add/dm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia