U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 PM

5,095 posts, read 8,071,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, what Asian women are you talking about? Where is this taking place? This phenomenon doesn't exist in MOST of Asia. Do you mean East Asia? Korea? Japan? Taiwan or parts of Mainland China? Please clarify.
Ruth, the title of the thread specifies girls from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 05:48 PM

6,590 posts, read 3,641,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
is it true? Why? Just find the hair prettier and/ or like the "bubbly light" personality more so to speak?

Moderator note: The OP is asking why young Chinese females are attracted to blonde dolls or blonde pop stars or why they dye their hair blonde. The OP is NOT discussing anything of a sexual nature and any posts that try to hijack the thread by doing so will be deleted and may be subject to an infraction.
I would see it little different than people getting tattoos, piercings, branding.... or florescent colored dye in their hair along with other fashions that separate us from the fashions and societal norms of the past. We only worry specifically in this case because there are populations with naturally blond hair which in decades passed often proclaimed their superiority over the barrels of their more advanced weapons technology.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM

9,628 posts, read 5,950,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentReward View Post
is it true? Why? Just find the hair prettier and/ or like the "bubbly light" personality more so to speak?

I've dated several Chinese girls and I have to say; it is NOT true.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:14 PM

9,628 posts, read 5,950,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Ruth, the title of the thread specifies girls from China.

Ruth asked a legit question because Japanese and Korean tend have more blonde hair tendency in their culture compared to the Chinese, which is really non existent as far as I can tell. But even in their culture it's more of a fad that seems to come and go quickly.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,422,274 times
It's probably because blonde/golden hair is unique in that part of the world. Step aside from China for a minute and you can already see the same fascination in other East Asian countries like Japan and Korea where manga and anime characters have blonde hair and pop stars dye their hair blonde. Even in the other parts of Asia like the Middle East, people, both female and male, dye their hair blonde to look special.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 PM

5,095 posts, read 8,071,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Ruth asked a legit question because Japanese and Korean tend have more blonde hair tendency in their culture compared to the Chinese, which is really non existent as far as I can tell. But even in their culture it's more of a fad that seems to come and go quickly.

I fully agree with you. It is indeed a legit question. However, the OP, SilentReward, titled the thread: "Chinese girls preference for blonde girls", as well as mention it in one or two posts on page 1. No mention about Japanese or Korean, or for that matter, Lao or Vietnamese, Thai, etc. I don't know how trendy blonde hair is in Japan or Korea, but there certainly seems to be plenty of Japanese and Koreans who stand out with hair colored Pink, Blue, Purple and Bright Orange. I guess because of it being popularized in Anime and emo. I would imagine such bright colors might be trendy in Hong Kong, and other larger cities in China as well.

Ruth had asked if the OP meant Asian women in general. I replied accordingly. If the OP also meant most of East and SE Asia, there was nothing mentioned in the posts, just Chinese women. Regardless, I also agree that fads and fashion trends, like anywhere, tend to come and go.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 AM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I will readily admit that pop singing groups are not the be-all-end-all measure of any national culture, but they are a part, if a special one. That said, I Googled j-pop, k-pop and finally c-pop. Just scanning the pictures that came up when I hit "images," most performers had black hair, but a noticeable number had bleached or colored their hair blonde or red or light brown. What struck me was that the young boy group members seemed to do it more often that the girl groups.

I would chalk this up to the appeal of Western music and pop culture to youngsters, so some go for the hair colour too. But I don't know that it offers a clue to Chinese adult views.

Here's a link to a c-pop site.

https://aminoapps.com/c/cpopchinesep...ZBxKKY7vMz5VPb

Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Much of the world loves blondes. I don't think this is unique to China.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM

9,872 posts, read 10,125,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Much of the world loves blondes. I don't think this is unique to China.
I remember going to Columbia in South America in the 1970s and I noticed how often you would see a young Latina dye her hair blonde which looks kind of funny on a girl with dark eyebrows.

I would talk with a slim blonde from California who was with our group and she would cause a near riot from the young Colombians. She would literally attract a swarm of men in the marketplace.

It seemed particularly funny to me as I found the vast majority of brown skinned girls with jet black hair native to Bogota to be very attractive.

Blond hair has long been associated with beauty. Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty, was reputed to have blonde hair. In western Europe during the Middle Ages, long, blond hair was idealized as the paragon of female beauty. I think American films, even before they were color, perpetuated the idea of the blonde beauty.

Or it is simply that people are attracted to what is different or unusual.

AS TO MISUNDERSTANDING ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
It's very easy when you are speaking a language other than your own to phrase your question in such a way that the native speaker perceives as having sexual overtones. It's very common for an English native speaker to try to say "I am very hot" in Spanish, but to actually say to native speakers , "I am extremely turned on" or even worse, "I am available right now".

Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
I live in China and have long had comments on my reddish-blonde hair. My hapa daughter has the same hair color and it’s very curly, and people freak out over her constantly, taking pictures, referring to her as a "little doll," etc.

I think it begins and ends at it it being unique or "exotic." When 90% of people have the same hair color and the other 9.8% are a couple shades lighter, it stands out. It’s the same reason that someone who’s over 2 meters tall will get looks anywhere they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or