Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 05:13 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Mercer's 2018 Quality of Living Survey ranked 230 cities around the world.

Vienna--#1
Zurich--#2
Singapore--#25 (#1 in Asia)
Tokyo and Kobe--tied for #50 (#2 in Asia)
Hong Kong--#71
Seoul--#79
Taipei--#84 (#1 in Taiwan)
Taichung--#101
Shanghai--#103 (#1 in Mainland China)

Taiwan is paradise? It couldn't even top Hong Kong for quality of life. If you said Singapore is emerging as paradise, agreed, 100%.

Ok, fine, Mercer's survey didn't account for cost of living, but what do you expect? Nice places like Zurich are obviously going to be super expensive.

Singapore is severely underrated, both globally, and especially by Hong Kongers.
Mercer's is incredibly euro-centric with a belief that the Germanic way is the best. Whenever I look at it's polls, and I haven't for ten years, but every year it's the same...you see a large amount of cities in germany, switzerland and austria....combined with english-speaking countries like canada, nz, australia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
LOL. A lot of Taiwanese are dying to immigrate the mainland for better life
Taiwanese aren't dying to emigrate to China.

It's the ambitious global young people in Taiwan who are considering cities like Shanghai (as well as Toronto, Sydney and all the rest)....as viable places to get great work experience in global markets.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:28 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Zurich is overrated! I went there for a one day visit and it wins as the most boring and expensive city I've been to. Won't even like to go back for a short visit, have zero desire to ever live there! For the price of a McDonald's meal in Zurich, I can get a Din Tai Fung meal in Taipei!

For living, I'd rather choose Taiwan over Hong Kong or Singapore. I actually like visiting Hong Kong or Singapore regularly, but I find both to be too small and expensive to want to stay in either places long-term.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Zurich is overrated! I went there for a one day visit and it wins as the most boring and expensive city I've been to. Won't even like to go back for a short visit, have zero desire to ever live there! For the price of a McDonald's meal in Zurich, I can get a Din Tai Fung meal in Taipei!

For living, I'd rather choose Taiwan over Hong Kong or Singapore. I actually like visiting Hong Kong or Singapore regularly, but I find both to be too small and expensive to want to stay in either places long-term.
I second that! Zurich and Mercer's other favorite, Vienna....I went to both once, and have no desire to go back again to either.

I much prefer my cities to be interesting, international, dynamic, and global. Give me Hong Kong and Singapore any day over Zurich and Vienna.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Mercer's QOL survey is about as crap as HK's QOL lol. You can go ask any HKer in HK, many of them, if not most, will tell you that HK is practically hell.
I don't deny that--HK was next to Detroit and utterly broke, debt-ridden, hurricane stricken San Juan, Puerto Rico in Mercer's quality of life.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Mercer's is incredibly euro-centric with a belief that the Germanic way is the best. Whenever I look at it's polls, and I haven't for ten years, but every year it's the same...you see a large amount of cities in germany, switzerland and austria....combined with english-speaking countries like canada, nz, australia...
Guess what? The UN's human development is also eurocentric, with most of the top nations bring Western European countries, plus Canada and Australia.

The West advanced beyond the rest of the world, thanks to Judeo-Christian values.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:55 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Taiwanese aren't dying to emigrate to China.
Never mind him.

Quote:
I don't deny that--HK was next to Detroit and utterly broke, debt-ridden, hurricane stricken San Juan, Puerto Rico in Mercer's quality of life.
It is impossible to hold a sensible conversation with you if you insist on applying feeble-minded strawmen as such.

If you love pointless surveys that much, here's another one for you:
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/03/1...piness-report/

There is far more information available if you read Chinese; judging by your kneejerk, childish comments about how great HK is to live in, I'm guessing you do not.

Quote:
Guess what? The UN's human development is also eurocentric, with most of the top nations bring Western European countries, plus Canada and Australia.
HDI has an objective methodology based on hard statistics, Mercer however includes some bull****/vague metrics like cultural events or political or social environment. It's about as valid as Numbeo's quality of life index (where HK scores extremely poorly, btw).

Just because you like Hong Kong and Singapore doesn't mean others have to. However much you might like Hong Kong, the reality is that the residents there are not happy with the situation. You obviously don't know enough HKers.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Never mind him.

It is impossible to hold a sensible conversation with you if you insist on applying feeble-minded strawmen as such.

If you love pointless surveys that much, here's another one for you:
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/03/1...piness-report/

There is far more information available if you read Chinese; judging by your kneejerk, childish comments about how great HK is to live in, I'm guessing you do not.

HDI has an objective methodology based on hard statistics, Mercer however includes some bull****/vague metrics like cultural events or political or social environment. It's about as valid as Numbeo's quality of life index (where HK scores extremely poorly, btw).

Just because you like Hong Kong and Singapore doesn't mean others have to. However much you might like Hong Kong, the reality is that the residents there are not happy with the situation. You obviously don't know enough HKers.
I never said I liked Hong Kong. I agree, Hong Kong is polluted, run-down, overcrowded, expensive, and a puppet of the idiotic Xi Jinping regime. Poor, uneducated Mainlanders are immigrating into Hong Kong in hordes, demanding welfare and smuggling consumer goods back to the Mainland, creating a mass shortage of essentials like baby formula. Political instability and civil unrest are pervasive and interfere massively with business, and economic and religious freedom are declining. Soon Christians may be persecuted. Income inequality is among the highest in the world. I know many HKers and most don't like HK for those reasons I listed above.

I never said Hong Kong was great, but it is far wealthier and safer than Third World cities like Dhaka, Damascus, and anywhere with Islamic terrorists who torture, enslave, rape, and murder Christians and fund and train more terrorists to raze Israel to the ground.

Of course, you know as well as I that the USA has the best quality of life in the world, due to Christian values, free market, American Exceptionalism, and it's only getting better under Trump.

Last edited by MrJester; 08-24-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 07:05 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:

Of course, you know as well as I that the USA has the best quality of life in the world, due to Christian values, free market, American Exceptionalism, and it's only getting better under Trump.
You're being facetious, right?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Never heard that before...what sources do you get your information from? Hong Kong next to Detroit in quality of life? What the?

I'm from the Detroit area...no comparison....just nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia