U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 03:42 PM

196 posts, read 133,668 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the Guangdong Province/Guangzhou are able to get over the air TVB channels from Hong Kong?

Or do certain stations in Guangzhou and Guangdong buy the broadcast rights to TVB shows and they rebroadcast them on their own networks as reruns and maybe edit certain scenes out of the original contents?

I know that certain stations from Guangdong and Guangzhou that are over the air are also receivable in Hong Kong. However, with mainland China censoring a lot of entertainment content from Hong Kong and even from other westernized countries, I would not be surprised if TVB broadcast over the air does not exist in Guangdong at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:02 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Yes many people in Guangdong watch Hong Kong TV channels. They are not blocked.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 PM

1,854 posts, read 3,415,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
Does anyone know if the Guangdong Province/Guangzhou are able to get over the air TVB channels from Hong Kong?

Or do certain stations in Guangzhou and Guangdong buy the broadcast rights to TVB shows and they rebroadcast them on their own networks as reruns and maybe edit certain scenes out of the original contents?

I know that certain stations from Guangdong and Guangzhou that are over the air are also receivable in Hong Kong. However, with mainland China censoring a lot of entertainment content from Hong Kong and even from other westernized countries, I would not be surprised if TVB broadcast over the air does not exist in Guangdong at all.
The last time I visited the Mainland (2011), TVB shows were still being broadcast. Funny that you say Guangzhou stations are also receivable in Hong Kong. I never for once watched GZTV while in Hong Kong, only TVB Jade, TVB Pearl, ATV, etc., . It must be a very new phenomenon.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM

501 posts, read 461,374 times
TVB programs are shown all the time in Guangdong, but the TVB Channel itself is not. The programs are rebroadcast by local stations, mainly because TVB news and opinion pieces do not have to follow China's censorship rules, so you will rarely see TVB news in Guangdong just the dramas and some variety shows. Some dramas and variety shows have been banned too, of course, but most are not.

Also because of the different market, advertisements in HK will be different than in China, since they don't have the same products, stores, currency, etc, so the local broadcaster can insert their own adverts.

Of course, if you live close enough to Hong Kong and have a good antenna, you can probably pick up the over the air signal.

Many China based TV channels are available in HK. Southern Television Guangdong (广东南方电视台) is available on NowTV, so is Shenzhen TV (深圳卫视). A few other local city channels like Beijing TV and Zhejiang TV as well. And of course many of the CCTV channels.

Edit: For clarity, NowTV is a local cable television provider in Hong Kong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or