Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,632 times

Advertisements

So I'm quite young so I haven't had the pleasure of traveling since I'm saving up money for school, and I hope one day to spend a month in Japan. So in the meantime I like to learn about each of the cultures quite equally. And I thought "hey, I'm pretty anti-social but if I join a penpal website I can talk to people from these cultures" and it's been very eye opening. It's easy to see what a culture is like but to talk to people from there, to see how they act, can definitely impact someone. And I'd say after quite a bit of talking online, my love for Japan has declined slightly whereas my interest in Chinese and Korean culture has risen.

I found that it was very difficult to establish a connection with the Japanese girls I've talked to. They are very polite, and can hold a decent conversation, but generally most of the conversations I had with them were cold, with one exception - We talked quite well and even met in person, she showed a lot of interest (quite a bit of touching), but that went south very quickly, very disapointed.

Compare that to the Chinese and Korean girls I talked to, which was vastly more carefree. Most of the ones I talked to had an interest in cooking, as do I, and were more than willing to talk and have long conversations with me. In fact I made a best friend on there from China, probably the nicest and coolest person I've ever met. Even when I was rejected irl by a Chinese girl, they still managed to be very warm afterwards.

I really want to dive into Japanese culture more, since I really love it and it speaks to me like no other one does, but I can't really shake the feeling that I was a bit let down. However now I'm a lot more interested in China and Korea as a result.

These are just my naive thoughts. Maybe one day when I visit and live in each respective country, my opinion will change.

Anyone with similar opinions? Anyone disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,416,644 times
https://youtu.be/k2J154b-xOo?t=1m31s

he knows

Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,684,946 times
Chinese and Koreans are much more talkative than Japanese, on average.
That said, I feel Japanese girls overseas are mostly very extrovert.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post

Funny enough this isn't the first time someone compared me to Schlansky.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:25 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,972,532 times
Japanese are not comfortable with English at all. Plus, they are dictated by social conventions on how to behave in most situations. They'll hide their emotions/feelings, in favor of saying what they believe they should be saying.

Koreans and Chinese say whatever is in their head.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,107,061 times
I say put this drivel in the Relationships forum. Don't need a wet behind the ears boy trying to sum up Asian women.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,972,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I say put this drivel in the Relationships forum. Don't need a wet behind the ears boy trying to sum up Asian women.
I agree.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:

It quite possibly is drivel, I posted to this provoke a discussion. And I don't see why it should go there, my thoughts aren't based on relationships but just on general interactions. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 AM

12,281 posts, read 7,988,606 times
Quote:
The nationality/racial angle make it verboten in the Relationship Forum.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:30 PM

16,308 posts, read 10,329,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildebrand57843 View Post
It quite possibly is drivel, I posted to this provoke a discussion. And I don't see why it should go there, my thoughts aren't based on relationships but just on general interactions. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Have you discussed the various cultures with East Asian men in roughly equal numbers as women, or have you limited your contacts to women? Your answer to this will help determine if this post belongs in this forum or should be moved to the Relationships forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia