U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2018, 04:55 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,326 posts, read 11,041,641 times
Reputation: 4146

Advertisements

Why, why, why ...

Why do young people in your area wear ripped up clothes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2018, 06:17 PM
 
2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If that was the case why do they make women cover up from head to toe? Nikabs and burqas are great for hot weather.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...suffer-it.html
This part is true. If it were all about tradition, then there would be greater parity between the attires worn by men and women. Even among less conservative societies, women are still forced to cover up more than men.

Unfortunately, forcing them to remove the niqab would be considered a violation of free speech, therefore it's hard to implement. Many of the women who wear it have been conditioned to do so at a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 521,825 times
Reputation: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked several years in the Middle East and I think it's a combination of respecting their traditions and comfort. In an office environment even, some of the locals wear their traditional robes, totally acceptable, They might wear a suit one day and a robe the next.

I even had a manager (American) that bought and wore the robes on occasion....he had "fake converted" to Islam in order to marry his very young wife....I never figured out if the locals laughed at him wearing the robes or liked it, I think they must have liked it.
Is it only Muslims who can wear robes? Can you be non-Muslim, not Middle Eastern, and dress up like them? Or is that cultural appropriation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,451 posts, read 9,554,421 times
Reputation: 15734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Is it only Muslims who can wear robes? Can you be non-Muslim, not Middle Eastern, and dress up like them? Or is that cultural appropriation?
You don't have to be Muslim to wear them but they're associated with a culture that is dominated by Islam. I had a young engineer from Malaysia that bought a very fancy robe outfit and I think it raised his status a bit but he said the Arabs still considered him a lower human being as an Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,609,568 times
Reputation: 6273
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If that was the case why do they make women cover up from head to toe? Nikabs and burqas are great for hot weather.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...suffer-it.html
You're still trying to view this through a Western lens. Oh and BTW, the article also asserts that people do wear traditional clothing out of cultural identity, particularly in European countries where they've tried to restrict it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 AM
 
2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're still trying to view this through a Western lens. Oh and BTW, the article also asserts that people do wear traditional clothing out of cultural identity, particularly in European countries where they've tried to restrict it...
It's more about the discrepancy between the attire for both genders. I've been to both the UAE and Malaysia and can attest to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 01:15 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,526 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Reputation: 76499
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Why, why, why ...

Why do young people in your area wear ripped up clothes?
Yes, the stores even sell new jeans that have been torn up, and made to look old and worn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2018, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You're still trying to view this through a Western lens. Oh and BTW, the article also asserts that people do wear traditional clothing out of cultural identity, particularly in European countries where they've tried to restrict it...

You are also looking at this through a western lens. A very narrow one that.



Quote:
It's more about the discrepancy between the attire for both genders. I've been to both the UAE and Malaysia and can attest to that.
Quote:
I had a young engineer from Malaysia that bought a very fancy robe outfit and I think it raised his status a bit but he said the Arabs still considered him a lower human being as an Asian.
^^ Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top