Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 05:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,903,278 times

Advertisements

Why do Gulf Arabs wear traditional clothing? The rest of the developed world has switched to suits and pants. I get that robes and sandals are more comfortable for the desert climate, but even most Iraqis and Jordanians, far poorer than the Gulf Arab states, wear western-style suits.

I guess one benefit is that robes are not just breezier than pants, but they're also classy enough to be worn as business and formal attire (unlike shorts). Plus, sandals look good with robes, so the guys now have an excuse to wear sandals to business meetings and weddings--somethings strange in the Western world.

Otherwise I don't get why you'd want to walk around dressed like a Bible character in AD 2018. Those robes must be clumsy, kind of like ladies in their long dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,193,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Why do Gulf Arabs wear traditional clothing? The rest of the developed world has switched to suits and pants. I get that robes and sandals are more comfortable for the desert climate, but even most Iraqis and Jordanians, far poorer than the Gulf Arab states, wear western-style suits.

I guess one benefit is that robes are not just breezier than pants, but they're also classy enough to be worn as business and formal attire (unlike shorts). Plus, sandals look good with robes, so the guys now have an excuse to wear sandals to business meetings and weddings--somethings strange in the Western world.

Otherwise I don't get why you'd want to walk around dressed like a Bible character in AD 2018. Those robes must be clumsy, kind of like ladies in their long dresses.
They're way more comfortable. I was working in Dubai and bought one on a whim. It may be the second most comfortable thing I own, especially on a hot day. It breathes, it's super roomy and comfortable, they're 100% cotton like a fine dress shirt, and as you said it works with sandals, which is a good thing when they have to go pray five times a day and take their shoes off.

Each Emirate/Country has their own style which sets them apart. Saudis, Qatari, Yemeni, Emrati, Omani all have differences in collar or cuffs or details.

They also look sharp as heck when done properly. Also, makes your wardrobe insanely easy.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,903,278 times
[quote=mikeyyc;52926300]They're way more comfortable. I was working in Dubai and bought one on a whim. It may be the second most comfortable thing I own, especially on a hot day. It breathes, it's super roomy and comfortable, they're 100% cotton like a fine dress shirt, and as you said it works with sandals, which is a good thing when they have to go pray five times a day and take their shoes off.

Each Emirate/Country has their own style which sets them apart. Saudis, Qatari, Yemeni, Emrati, Omani all have differences in collar or cuffs or details.

They also look sharp as heck when done properly. Also, makes your wardrobe insanely easy.[/QUOTE

Do you wear pants underneath the robe? Or just underwear? Also, wouldn't the locals consider it funny if you are not Arab/Middle Eastern and decide to dress like them?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:43 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,411,251 times
its easier to hide the ak and suicide belt under them.

zero. dark. thirty

Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Because they are still stuck in the dark ages.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:48 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,266,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Because they are still stuck in the dark ages.
What an ignorant comment. Do you even stop to think why that sort of attire is appropriate for that climate and the culture?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:43 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
African men look great in colorful robes, too. Why should everyone conform to the West? Who says Western dress is what the world should be following, anyway? Ultimately, who cares?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:44 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Partly because they do not need to work.

If you visit Dubai, you will see local men are hardly found once you leave the custom control. All the workers are from South Asia and other poor countries. Occasionally you will see several local men with robes in the subway, but even there most passengers speak Urdu, Hindi and so on.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
What an ignorant comment. Do you even stop to think why that sort of attire is appropriate for that climate and the culture?
If that was the case why do they make women cover up from head to toe? Nikabs and burqas are great for hot weather.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...suffer-it.html

Old 08-29-2018, 05:51 PM

29,751 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

I worked several years in the Middle East and I think it's a combination of respecting their traditions and comfort. In an office environment even, some of the locals wear their traditional robes, totally acceptable, They might wear a suit one day and a robe the next.

I even had a manager (American) that bought and wore the robes on occasion....he had "fake converted" to Islam in order to marry his very young wife....I never figured out if the locals laughed at him wearing the robes or liked it, I think they must have liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia